Author Topic: Trading Marcus Thornton Just Got Somewhat Easier For Celtics  (Read 9480 times)

Re: Trading Marcus Thornton Just Got Somewhat Easier For Celtics
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2014, 08:52:24 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Bass and Philly's 2 second rounders to the Suns for Len and Shavlik Randolph works???

http://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6509534

Smitty77

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2014, 08:53:17 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Crap, Bass for Len works by itself.

http://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6509535

Smitty77

The Suns really could be a trade partner!!!!

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2014, 09:13:24 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Anyone talking about picking up a center should compare the deal to what we turned down with Omer Asik. We could have easily out bid the Pelicans but chose not to. I'm not sure Ainge did the right thing there, but he's not stupid, and must feel he could do better.

I don't see Ainge pilling the trigger for a pricey center unless he thinks it is a better deal than Asik was.

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2014, 09:56:10 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Anyone talking about picking up a center should compare the deal to what we turned down with Omer Asik. We could have easily out bid the Pelicans but chose not to. I'm not sure Ainge did the right thing there, but he's not stupid, and must feel he could do better.

I don't see Ainge pilling the trigger for a pricey center unless he thinks it is a better deal than Asik was.

Evidence for the bolded?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2014, 09:59:21 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
I like to see Thornton stay
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2014, 10:08:03 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
yea but to where?   

Same can be said for Bass.   I just browsed through every team in the league and they are packed at every position.  And Celtics are the only team in the league without a legit starting Center

The first team I randomly looked at could use Bass.  Phoenix's incumbent power forwards are Markeiff Morris and Miles Plumlee.  You gonna tell me Bass ain't better than Plumlee?  Heck, Bass' experience and defense would probably put him ahead of Morris.

Mike
[/quote

Plumlee is not a power forward; he's their starting center.

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2014, 10:34:00 AM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
Crap, Bass for Len works by itself.

http://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6509535

Smitty77

The Suns really could be a trade partner!!!!

The Suns are ready to give up on a 5th pick center after just one year?  He'd have to be a colossal bust in their eyes to give him up for Bass, especially given they already have the Morrii on their team.  I think that has zero chance of happening.

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2014, 10:38:43 AM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29

Evidence for the bolded?

The #17th pick and Keith bogans and babb or something along that nature.
We could have easily acquired Asik. Danny believes a 1st was too much for him or asik wasn't that big of a difference than keeping a 1st and just getting Zeller.

Danny isn't dumb, Asik is really good and I believe
Him and Anthony Davis is going to be really good this year, INO make the playoffs and that pelicans pick will be worse than our 17 this year.

So once again, we could have acquired Asik. If Danny really wanted to.

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2014, 10:42:30 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
...that's not evidence, that's speculation.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2014, 11:42:55 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

Evidence for the bolded?

The #17th pick and Keith bogans and babb or something along that nature.
We could have easily acquired Asik. Danny believes a 1st was too much for him or asik wasn't that big of a difference than keeping a 1st and just getting Zeller.

Danny isn't dumb, Asik is really good and I believe
Him and Anthony Davis is going to be really good this year, INO make the playoffs and that pelicans pick will be worse than our 17 this year.

So once again, we could have acquired Asik. If Danny really wanted to.

We could have had him for a first round pick, and no guarantee that Asik stays longer than 10 months. So we lose that pick, with no locked in player, and we hurt our chances at our 2014-15 first round pick with the large potential that Rondo and Asik walk in 10 months.
Plenty of arguments for both sides.
Danny could have a specific set of reasons why he didn't go after him, but we won't know why for another 10 months at the very least.

I would be seriously pizzed if fast forward 12 months and we have no james young, no rondo and no Asik. We stink and our own pick is going to be something like 13-16 instead of 1-6.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2014, 12:07:56 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I would take Plumlee over Bass. If Danny was offered that from Ryan, he says yes before Ryan presents the trade offer. Are you kidding?

Morris also is cheaper and more skilled than bass. Bass has his adv as a vet/playoff experience but at the starting of the year you keep Morris.

I thought Doc would like Bass, but they just got Udoh (for 1 million).

Lastly Bass/Thornton for Biyombo has a decent chance to workout. But Biyombo is only 22 and charlotte is prob hoping he keeps improving. Thats more like a trade deadline move than something that can be done now. Unless Danny includes a draft pick

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2014, 12:31:19 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I would love to get Plumlee but I think he is part of the plan and not going anywhere.

Charlotte is intriguing they could use Thornton.   Biyombo is a tad undersized but he is springy and can block shots. 

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2014, 12:38:31 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
yea but to where?   

Same can be said for Bass.   I just browsed through every team in the league and they are packed at every position.  And Celtics are the only team in the league without a legit starting Center

The first team I randomly looked at could use Bass.  Phoenix's incumbent power forwards are Markeiff Morris and Miles Plumlee.  You gonna tell me Bass ain't better than Plumlee?  Heck, Bass' experience and defense would probably put him ahead of Morris.

Mike
[/quote

Plumlee is not a power forward; he's their starting center.

Then who is the other power forward on the Suns?  Anthony Tolliver?

Again, I just looked at one team at random and they absolutely could use Bass.

Now, what they're willing to give up to get him is another story.  If you're Phoenix, what are you willing to part with to increase your chances at the 7th or 8th seed in the West?

The point, though, is that it's ridiculous to say every other team in the league is "stacked" and only Boston has poor talent.

Mike

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2014, 07:19:09 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

Evidence for the bolded?

The evidence is that New Orleans gave up Alonso Gee, Scotty Hopson and the Pelicans 1st round pick protected to get it done. Don't you think we could have done better than that? We certainly have the chips.

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2014, 07:26:11 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Then who is the other power forward on the Suns?  Anthony Tolliver?

Mike

Yes, Tolliver is their other power forward; the Morris twins (or Morri) both spend time at the 4, as well.  Plumlee only plays the 5 for them.