Author Topic: Whats Stopping us from having a season like last years Phoenix Suns  (Read 13504 times)

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
ESPN ranked the Phoenix Suns 29th in the overall power rankings last year.  With that being said, they came barely short to a playoff run in the talented Western Conference.

I understand they had.Dragic & Bledsoe in the back court and Gerald as Mr. Athleticism but they didnt play with a defensive shot blocking center which everyone on the forums is craving for.
Rondo couldn't play a back to back in half the season we had him and people assume we might win a few more games? Anyone thought maybe KO's 2nd half of the season was better because Rondo was on the floor? ANYONE? I believe Sullinger can bang wit Plumlee easily as there numbers show similarities. and I honestly believe we have more depth then  Suns this time around. Even this year with their I.T. Addition (Thorton bust for 20+ any given night by the way)

Rondo/Dragic -I got rondo on this one
Bradley/Bledsoe -Of course Bledsoe
Green/Green or Tucker - I'd stick with Jeff
Olynyk/Morris - IDC what you guys say im sticking with KO
Sully/Plumlee - I'd give it a tie

SO.. with one more year of team chemnistry our new additions. Whats stopping us from doing the same???

Re: Whats Stopping us from having a season like last years Phoenix Suns
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 02:24:40 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I don't think we'll be 23 wins better than we were last year. Do you?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 02:28:22 PM »

• Jayson Tatum
IF I'd had to bet my house? NO .. BUT! Atlanta took the 8th seed with 38 wins. is 13 realistic to you?

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 02:28:57 PM »

• Jayson Tatum

IF I'd had to bet my house? NO .. BUT! Atlanta took the 8th seed with 38 wins. is 13 realistic to you?

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 02:35:37 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

ESPN, and pretty much everybody else, didn't think the Suns were going to be that good last year.  That's kind of the point.

Take last year's Celtics.  This year....

Rondo will be better.
Sully and KO should be better.
Zeller, Anthony and Faverani is better than what we had last year at center.
Smart will be better than Pressey.
Turner will be better than Wallace.

Will any of that show up in a better record?  Who knows.

Mike

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 02:37:46 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Talent. Specifically shooting talent but also the blend of talent. Its not going to happen.

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 02:40:53 PM »

• Jayson Tatum

ESPN, and pretty much everybody else, didn't think the Suns were going to be that good last year.  That's kind of the point.

Take last year's Celtics.  This year....

Rondo will be better.
Sully and KO should be better.
Zeller, Anthony and Faverani is better than what we had last year at center.
Smart will be better than Pressey.
Turner will be better than Wallace.

Will any of that show up in a better record?  Who knows.

Mike

I feel Rondo alone  is easily a 10-win hike. See Hornets win differential the year without Chris Paul. I don't understand how the new cast cant push another 5 to 7 games which clearly makes us runners for the 8th seed if the playoff teams recordsarey anything close to last year

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 02:43:14 PM »

• Jayson Tatum
Talent. Specifically shooting talent but also the blend of talent. Its not going to happen.

This is very understandable but how many shooters did Suns REALLY have other than bledsoe and Dragic? Bradley, KO, Green, Thorton (thorton is PJ tucker without penetration) comes pretty [dang] close

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 02:46:29 PM »

• Jayson Tatum
but also the blend of talent. Its not going to happen.

Rondo,(Thorton or Brdaley),Green,KO,( Zeller OR sully)

IS that lineup at durations of the game not enough shooting and DECENT DEFENSE?

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 02:48:27 PM »

Offline Kevin OConnor

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 24
  • @KevinOConnorNBA
That's your problem. And Frye was their starter at PF, not Morris. And Frye is significantly better than KO. Plumlee is a great defensive player. Tucker is better than Jeff Green for his defense, hustle, and rebounding. Green brings better scoring, but you don't need that when Bledsoe, Frye, Dragic are your top 3 guys.
www.twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA

I like sports and music.

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 02:50:59 PM »

Online snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

This is very understandable but how many shooters did Suns REALLY have other than bledsoe and Dragic? Bradley, KO, Green, Thorton (thorton is PJ tucker without penetration) comes pretty [dang] close

The Suns had a dangerous volume 3-point shooting big man in Channing Frye.  That and their guards could hit the 3 in pick and roll.  Those are two critical elements of their offensive success that we might not be able to replicate.

2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 02:53:38 PM »

• Jayson Tatum
That's your problem. And Frye was their starter at PF, not Morris. And Frye is significantly better than KO. Plumlee is a great defensive player. Tucker is better than Jeff Green for his defense, hustle, and rebounding. Green brings better scoring, but you don't need that when Bledsoe, Frye, Dragic are your top 3 guys.

I respect your opinion greatly but Frye wasn't much of a scorer last year. Maybe in spurts which I know from having him on my fantasy team.  Mason gets the Defense award I agree.  I'd still side with Green over tucker on defense. I respect the "hustle " differential though. so that being said. we were 13 games out of last years playoffs. With fresh Rondo is that not feasible? If we was in the west. NO WAY but were in the East. Im not saying its going to happen but whats really deminishing a strong possibility?

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2014, 02:54:33 PM »

• Jayson Tatum

The Suns had a dangerous volume 3-point shooting big man in Channing Frye.  That and their guards could hit the 3 in pick and roll.  Those are two critical elements of their offensive success that we might not be able to replicate.

I honestly did forget bout Frye I won't lie. Overall it makes sense what your saying. Thats why I created this thread asking

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2014, 02:58:46 PM »

Online snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

Actually, Frye was not one of their top 3 guys.  Gerald Green and Markieff Morris were both significantly higher scorers.  Frye's definitely a potent offensive role player for his floor spacing, but he's not a scorer, and his presence isn't what allowed Phoenix to go with a non-scorer like Tucker - it was the dual PGs plus the abundance of bench scorers.

And Jeff Green's a good defender too - just because Tucker defended him well doesn't mean that Tucker's the more valuable player.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2014, 03:01:16 PM »

• Jayson Tatum

Actually, Frye was not one of their top 3 guys.  Gerald Green and Markieff Morris were both significantly higher scorers.  Frye's definitely a potent offensive role player for his floor spacing, but he's not a scorer, and his presence isn't what allowed Phoenix to go with a non-scorer like Tucker - it was the dual PGs plus the abundance of bench scorers.

And Jeff Green's a good defender too - just because Tucker defended him well doesn't mean that Tucker's the more valuable player.

I deff agree. Same time, I'm starting to realize  Frye is  a big difference maker alone with his spacing.  And I could honestly say KO doesnt have that presence yet. Hopefully he can this year