Author Topic: BOS/SAC Trade  (Read 6368 times)

Re: BOS/SAC Trade
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2014, 08:21:02 PM »

fitzhickey

Cousins is overrated. No heart, immature. No thanks
No heart is the complete opposite of Cousins. He may be immature, but if anything he has too much heart.

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2014, 10:24:39 AM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
Nobody hangs up the phone. You guys are underestimating the value of the Celtic's 2015 lottery pick.

How can we underestimate the value of something that is nowhere near close to being determined?  The season hasn't started yet; for all we know, that pick could end up not even in the lottery.

Our pick will be between 1-10. Regardless, we have other assets we could include such as Brooklyn picks, the Clippers 2015 pick, our future picks etc.

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2014, 10:41:15 AM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
Wallace's contract is not expiring this year.  Why would they want to take on his $10M for this year and the next?

Leave that out of it, and add more value to the offer and maybe they talk.

I disagree with the "hang up the phone" talk.  GMs don't hang up on offers like this.  They chuckle and say, "So, what else have you got to offer?"

There are a lot of pieces Danny could pile onto that offer to make it taste sweeter.  The only question is whether it would be sweet enough before it gets too expensive.

A lot depends on just what Sacramento thinks they can do this year.   Are they going to try to compete?  Are they going to just aim for rebuilding?  They are stuck paying Gay 19M for one more season.   That limits their ability to add enough talent to make a run this year, especially in the West.  But they did commit to Cousins -- if they tank another season is he going to get all grumbly?

I said Wallace's contract will be an expiring the following year. So when we trade him at the end of the season, he has one year left to complete, in this case on the Kings.

Yes, Ainge could offer more. IMO, this whole trade idea is centered around the unknown value of the C's 2015 first round pick. The Celtics can take the wait and see approach. Wait and see what pick you get in the lottery. Then make a trade for Cousins. Add more assets depending on the number of the pick.

Sacramento is going to be lottery bound unless they get a big upgrade at the PG and PF positions. We can offer them a young players in Smart and Olynyk, and another one via our pick. They will also have their pick.

That's 4 young players to add to McLemore and Stauskas. Not to mention the players we'll get if we add more picks.

I think it'll all depend on our 2015 pick...

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2014, 10:41:56 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
CsBanner18: I really like your idea.

I've mentioned in past posts that Cousins is a guy that I suspect may want out of Sactown next year if their team is still in the toilet (which by the way is another reason I wouldn't want to trade Rondo there.)

I don't see this happening before or during this season, however I do possibly see the following happening:

-Celts end up with a top 3-5 pick for next season (and for all we know, DA and Rondo have worked something out where they expect the team to be bad for one more season and then the fireworks really begin.)

-Not only does Rondo not get traded, he re-signs in Boston beyond next season

-Sacramento misses the playoffs again, they can't acquire any star talent and next spring Cousins tells them he wants out.

-The Celts come charging in with their assets headlined by their lottery pick next season, and the Celts/Kings make dance partners over a Cousins trade.  Cousins has also said he thinks Rondo is the best PG in the league so why wouldn't he be interested in Boston?

Long story short, tuck this idea away for a little while, hopefully it becomes reality next spring.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 10:47:51 AM by gpap »

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2014, 10:50:13 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Cousins is overrated. No heart, immature. No thanks

He's no Gorgie Dieng, but he's okay in my book ;D

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2014, 10:54:13 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Ik...another post involving Rondo to SAC for expirings, Ben McLemore & or Stauskas huh?

NOPE! With Sacramento stuck at the bottom of the Western Conference, the Cs could make a move for Cousins!

One misconception lately has been that good players aren't available via trade. I think that isn't true. Maybe the right package hasn't been offered yet??

Here are my thoughts: The Celtics play out this coming season with Rondo. They end their year with a top 7 pick (hopefully top 5 at least). They use that pick along with a combination of other picks and assets such as; Smart, Olynyk, Sully, Young; and put together a package for Cousins.

Trade Idea:

BOS:
Send: Smart, Olynyk, Wallace & 2015 1st
Receive: Cousins

SAC: Send: Cousins
Receive: Smart, Olynyk, Wallace & the C's 2015 1st

Too much to give up for Cousins? Too little?

This trade gives the Kings a young PG in Smart, PF in Olynyk, and possibly a replacement center w/ a lottery pick. The Kings will also have their own pick lottery pick. 
The Celtics get another guy to pair with Rondo, which convinces him to stay.

Kings would also probably entertain the idea of a sign & trade involving Rudy Gay if that's a route the C's would want to take. 

IMO this trade isn't too farfetched since the Kings aren't contending right now!!

What do you guys think?

like the trade but don't think Sac would settle for that package.  probably need to add Sully and/or another 1st rounder.

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2014, 12:39:06 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I do not think we have one piece on our roster that would yield Cousins.  He is a young 20/10 center they are going to hang up on your offer.

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2014, 12:45:08 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Nobody hangs up the phone. You guys are underestimating the value of the Celtic's 2015 lottery pick.

How can we underestimate the value of something that is nowhere near close to being determined?  The season hasn't started yet; for all we know, that pick could end up not even in the lottery.

This might be my favorite post in the whole thread.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2014, 01:02:12 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
Cousins is signed for the next 4 years and is the foundation for the Kings rebuild. Why would you ever trade him for anything the Celtics could offer you?

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2014, 02:00:34 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
I only see Cousins getting traded if the next season goes really bad for Sac and his maturity is viewed as a major part of the problem. Even with this I think any package going to Sac would have to include a starting caliber center to fill his void.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2014, 02:09:16 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
CsBanner18: I really like your idea.

I've mentioned in past posts that Cousins is a guy that I suspect may want out of Sactown next year if their team is still in the toilet (which by the way is another reason I wouldn't want to trade Rondo there.)

I don't see this happening before or during this season, however I do possibly see the following happening:

-Celts end up with a top 3-5 pick for next season (and for all we know, DA and Rondo have worked something out where they expect the team to be bad for one more season and then the fireworks really begin.)

-Not only does Rondo not get traded, he re-signs in Boston beyond next season

-Sacramento misses the playoffs again, they can't acquire any star talent and next spring Cousins tells them he wants out.

-The Celts come charging in with their assets headlined by their lottery pick next season, and the Celts/Kings make dance partners over a Cousins trade.  Cousins has also said he thinks Rondo is the best PG in the league so why wouldn't he be interested in Boston?

Long story short, tuck this idea away for a little while, hopefully it becomes reality next spring.

Exactly! Wait until the end of the season and see where our lottery pick & young talent/picks take us. Could get us Cousins, or another star. The exact opposite could happen and we could get the kings pick, along with the assets their already offering in a Rondo to SAC trade.

Just had to put the idea out there. Tired of hearing that there's nobody to trade for, or that all star caliber players are available via trade.

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2014, 03:01:54 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
I understand wanting to trade for Cousins.  He would speed up the rebuild.  What I don't understand is why Sac would trade him, especially for what you listed coming from the C's?