Author Topic: Idea: Sully/Zeller to Indy for West/Hibbert, Rondo and George not involved  (Read 1857 times)

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
With Paul George's injury, it's possible David West will have declined by the time George is fully recovered.

Indiana trades David West and Roy Hibbert.
Boston sends back Jared Sullinger, Tyler Zeller, Marcus Thornton, Keith Bogans, and whoever else is needed to match salary.  Probably also draft considerations.  A sign-and-trade for Evan Turner might also get worked into this.

The Pacers start Zeller/Mahinmi, Sullinger, Solomon Hill, Thornton, and George Hill and get a high draft pick to go with a returning Paul George in 2015-2016, while also hopefully developing some of those young players.  They get to waive Bogans and get further from luxury tax territory.

The Celtics start Hibbert, West, Green, Bradley, Rondo, with a bench that includes Olynyk, Smart, and Turner.  It looks like a likely playoff team to me and one that might convince Rondo to stick around.  If the frontcourt upgrade can get the team to flirt with being a top five defense, the Celtics could be a darkhorse title contender.

This feels like a trade idea that the Celtics should love if they don't have to give up a pick and an idea that the Pacers should love if they get three firsts (or two good firsts) out of it.  Is there room for a compromise somewhere in the middle?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Re: Idea: Sully/Zeller to Indy for West/Hibbert, Rondo and George not involved
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 06:13:41 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
This would lead us to mediocrity, I would rather have the picks than Hibbert and West and getting bounced out of the second round and doomed to higher picks ever year.  With West we'd have a one to two year window, and he already spurned us.   Hibbert is damaged goods.   

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 06:25:04 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Without knowing all the pieces can't really judge the trade.  Is it Philly, Clipper, Celt or Brooklyn picks?

Hibbert, West, Green, AB, Rondo. Bench of Smart, Young, Turner, Bass, Olynyk. Absolutely works for me as a dark horse team.

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 06:37:45 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
Without knowing all the pieces can't really judge the trade.  Is it Philly, Clipper, Celt or Brooklyn picks?

I'm offering a framework for a deal and suggesting that we have a conversation about what sort of draft considerations can be included that would make this an acceptable trade for both sides.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 06:45:12 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
This feels like a trade idea that the Celtics should love if they don't have to give up a pick and an idea that the Pacers should love if they get three firsts (or two good firsts) out of it.  Is there room for a compromise somewhere in the middle?

I agree with your first sentence, although I'm less Bullish on Indiana's enthusiasm, but I don't believe there's an acceptable compromise.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 07:04:04 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

I'm offering a framework for a deal and suggesting that we have a conversation about what sort of draft considerations can be included that would make this an acceptable trade for both sides.

Well of course part 1 for Pacers is Hibbert wants out. Without that I don't see them moving Hibbert.

Second part is Wallace going is easiest way to match salaries if West is being moved but cost another 1st for C's.

Maybe
Boston sends Bogans, Wallace, Sully, Zeller, Thornton both Brooklyn first and Philly 1st*.

For West and Hibbert.

Kind of a high price but C's are dumping Wallace.

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 08:37:54 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

I agree with your first sentence, although I'm less Bullish on Indiana's enthusiasm, but I don't believe there's an acceptable compromise.

Indiana's enthusiasm is really dependent on how much they think West will have left in the tank by the time Paul George is 100%.

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 08:44:10 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Loose, +1 for the premise of the thread.

With George out at least this year and Indiana all-in with West and his brief 2-3 year window, Bird either has to let West go, tank and build for when George gets back or add pieces to compete now with West.

One thing to consider is that David West is the heart and soul of that team with his toughness and experience. If they dump West now after having dumped Granger last year, that locker-room, which was fragile last year because of the personalities and the alleged George/Hibbert fiancee thing, could be damaged for years, especially if Hibbert stays, which is why i like your trade idea. Hibbert and West go together, and they build for a George-centric future. We compete now and they compete later.

The other option, competing in West's brief window, is more problematic. Pacers need scoring on the wing and some star infusion. The main problem is that aside from the core of West/Hibbert/George, they have little to trade to acquire those valuable commodities.

If they want to compete now in West's window, all they really have to trade to get those assets is Paul George, and everyone says that he is untouchable. If so, they cant legitimately compete now.

However, if they, in the highly unlikely scenario, decide to trade George (compound fracture in two places takes a LONG time to heel, never mind the muscle issues associated with it), Bird may consider Rondo (star pg), Thornton (desperately needed scoring from the wing) and Green for George and Hill.

What a defensive team that would be with Rondo/Green/West/ Hibbert.

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 09:03:57 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122

Indiana's enthusiasm is really dependent on how much they think West will have left in the tank by the time Paul George is 100%.

It certainly depends on more than that.