Author Topic: Ray Rice  (Read 69646 times)

Re: Ray Rice
« Reply #270 on: September 12, 2014, 01:03:32 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
#zeroteolerance

What about this guy?  Seems as though there is not fair treatment:

https://time.com/3329416/greg-hardy-nfl-domestic-violence/

Yeah.  I haven't figured out what the hell is going on there between the league & Hardy.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #271 on: September 12, 2014, 01:07:49 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Why do you think MMA has escaped scrutiny for the DV problems among some of its stars?  The War Machine stuff was stomach turning.  Is it just a factor of the NFL having a lot more exposure?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #272 on: September 12, 2014, 01:08:10 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Bingo. MMA is downright fringe compared to the NFL.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #273 on: September 12, 2014, 01:09:58 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
Why do you think MMA has escaped scrutiny for the DV problems among some of its stars?  The War Machine stuff was stomach turning.  Is it just a factor of the NFL having a lot more exposure?

Big time.  Not even in the same solar system when it comes to main stream exposure.  Both from an on the field & off the field (commercials, etc.) standpoint.

The War Machine stuff is absolutely sickening, though.  That guy shouldn't see the light of day again.

« Reply #274 on: September 12, 2014, 01:41:42 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Yeah.  I haven't figured out what the hell is going on there between the league & Hardy.

Theoretically, they are awaiting the outcome of his jury trial.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #275 on: September 12, 2014, 03:11:47 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
To call "War Machine" a star is a huge stretch.  I mean he wasn't in the UFC and hadn't been in 6 years.  He was in the 2nd biggest org in the U.S. (Bellator), but was far from a star in it. 

But to your point MMA is fringe and MMA involves two competitors beating the crap out of each other for viewing pleasure.  I think most people almost expect them to be violent outside of competition as well (most clearly are not, but that is a very wide perception) and thus when they commit violent acts it is almost expected.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #276 on: September 20, 2014, 09:49:25 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

« Reply #277 on: September 20, 2014, 10:43:18 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
So that just confirms what most people assumed was going on & the Ravens were not naïve and actually involved in a cover up?  Shocking.   ::)

This story is just showing that absolute worst in the NFL & the Ravens. 

« Reply #278 on: September 20, 2014, 10:56:57 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I've noticed that some people are a bit horrified that they are required to think more highly of John Harbaugh now:

Although the grainy video did not show what had happened behind the elevator's doors, the images horrified Ravens coach John Harbaugh, according to four sources inside and outside the organization. The Super Bowl-winning coach urged his bosses to release Rice immediately, especially if the team had evidence Rice had thrown a punch. That opinion was shared by George Kokinis, the Baltimore director of player personnel, according to a fifth source outside the organization but familiar with the team's thinking.

But Harbaugh's recommendation to cut the six-year veteran running back was quickly rejected by Ravens management: owner Bisciotti, team president Cass and GM Newsome.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #279 on: September 22, 2014, 06:20:54 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

« Reply #280 on: September 22, 2014, 07:22:35 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
I've noticed that some people are a bit horrified that they are required to think more highly of John Harbaugh now:

Although the grainy video did not show what had happened behind the elevator's doors, the images horrified Ravens coach John Harbaugh, according to four sources inside and outside the organization. The Super Bowl-winning coach urged his bosses to release Rice immediately, especially if the team had evidence Rice had thrown a punch. That opinion was shared by George Kokinis, the Baltimore director of player personnel, according to a fifth source outside the organization but familiar with the team's thinking.

But Harbaugh's recommendation to cut the six-year veteran running back was quickly rejected by Ravens management: owner Bisciotti, team president Cass and GM Newsome.

From the Ravens Rebuttal
John Harbaugh (Ravens coach): "I did not recommend cutting Ray Rice from the team after seeing the first videotape.  I was very disturbed by that tape, and I told people that the facts should determine the consequences. When I saw the second videotape, I immediately felt that we needed to release Ray.”
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #281 on: September 22, 2014, 08:24:49 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

Big time.  Not even in the same solar system when it comes to main stream exposure.  Both from an on the field & off the field (commercials, etc.) standpoint.

The War Machine stuff is absolutely sickening, though.  That guy shouldn't see the light of day again.
This is all about public perception. The NFL didn't care much until there was a public outcry.

The demographics of the fanbase of MMA will also make it take a bit longer before we hear any outcry.

« Reply #282 on: September 22, 2014, 08:28:42 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
The thing that gets me is the following -

The Atlantic City Police Department arrested Rice and charged him with aggravated assault. That is the law in New Jersey.

He was indicted by a Grand Jury for third degree aggravated assault and copped a plea (truly shocking isn't it?).

I would be perfectly happy if ESPN...TM whatever the f it is and the NFL would just follow the sterling example of the legal system in the state of New Jersey...announce that Ray Ray copped his plea in APRIL (a long time ago) then let the NFL dish out their second rate, over hyped work place punishment...does the NFL have a prison somewhere?

NFL "legal system" vs State "legal system"....quiz-which one can take away your pay check (horrors!) and which "legal system" can incarcerate you for life.

Goodell lied? He's the CEO of a billion dollar company, he's paid to lie. If he wasn't good at lying? He never would have gotten the job.

« Reply #283 on: September 24, 2014, 08:01:56 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Simmons got a three week suspension from ESPN for calling Goodell a liar on his podcast earlier this week, if you're keeping score at home, that's a longer suspension than both Ray Rice and Stephen A. Smith were both given.

ESPN knows where their bread is buttered.

« Reply #284 on: September 24, 2014, 09:50:58 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
Roids really get you angered up. Lebron lay off the vitamin supplements for awhile.
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;