Author Topic: Ray Rice  (Read 69798 times)

Re: Ray Rice
« Reply #75 on: September 08, 2014, 06:18:31 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Ummm....you may just wanna shut up, Ray Lewis

In 2000, when Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis was charged with murder and later agreed to plead guilty to obstruction of justice and testify against his co-defendants, the Ravens stood by him. Today, the Ravens decided to stop standing by running back Ray Rice. In the opinion of Lewis, that’s because his own case is a lot different from Rice’s.

Lewis, now an ESPN analyst, addressed the situation on the air today.

“There’s no comparison,” Lewis said. “There is no comparison between me and Ray Rice. It’s night and day.”

:o  How many monsters and sexual predators has ESPN hired?  It's disgusting.  I just want to know what the qualifications are for working there.  Unbelievable.

Isn't the next game Steelers vs. Ravens?  Why don't they just call it rape vs. domestic violence; and no, I'm not trying to make a joke here.

« Reply #76 on: September 08, 2014, 06:29:33 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Context is pretty important, bros. Lewis got asked about it on a live broadcast, and specifically asked about him and Ray Rice, because ESPN are just as awful as the NFL.

http://deadspin.com/ray-lewis-theres-no-comparison-between-me-and-ray-ric-1632161715

"Steve [Bisciotti, Ravens owner] was saying," Lewis said, "the reason that Ray Rice will never play for the Ravens again is when he saw this video himself, he put his daughter, he put anyone that's connected to him that's a female, he put them in that position. And when you do that, you have to take a step back—when you're an owner, when you're anybody who walks into a room and sees that type of evidence, that you haven't heard before, haven't seen before. And one thing Steve made very clear: There is no comparison of me and Ray Rice. It's night and day. It's night and day of anything we've ever been through."

Consider that against what Mike Dikta said:
"I don't know Ray at all," Ditka said before, for some reason, feeling the need to continue. "I'm sure he's not a bad guy, but he made a bad mistake.

"Hey, two lives, are ruined," Ditka said. "These two lives are ruined. His earning power is destroyed. That's an important thing."

http://deadspin.com/mike-ditka-laments-ray-rice-suspension-his-earning-po-1632172878

It keeps going in the video. Eff that guy, earning power's got nothing to do with it.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #77 on: September 08, 2014, 06:53:25 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I'm at a loss about why the release of the full video is such a big deal. I mean, really, what EXACTLY did everyone think happened in that elevator?!  ::)
It's a big deal because the NFL's initial position was heavily leaning on the wink-wink inference that she'd provoked him.
I was likewise at a loss back when they floated that line of reasoning. If you knock out someone who's taunting you, it's still assault, last time I checked.

It's pretty standard to try to blame the victim when you want to protect the attacker.  One might suggest the victim was under the influence of some substance (in this case alcohol, but it might be marijuana or PCP in an analogous case).  One might attack her character (in this case, saying that she is a gold digger, but it might be gang membership or listening to the "wrong" kind of music in an analogous case).
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #78 on: September 08, 2014, 07:17:59 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Didn't McDonald play for 49ers yesterday after his coach Harbaugh had said he had a zero tolerance for DV???

Whenever I see an NFL player do something crazy or violent I always wonder how we expect these players to be civil when they are trained to play a sport with the objective of taking each other out on almost every play. One play described the effects of an NFL game as akin to being involved in multiple motor vehicle accidents. We have already seen the effects of football on the human brain. The women that date these men literally take their lives in their own hands.

While I don't at all agree with your last sentence, I do concur with your assessment concerning the violence of the sport.  Personally, I've never watched the NFL or college football, but what I have seen is the Frontline special about the repercussions concussions have on the brain, and let me tell you that Goodell, imo, along with the other league commissioners before him (at least the one that immediately preceded him), should be held criminally responsible for their blatant cover ups and refusal to acknowledge the mental and physical consequences of playing this "sport."  Their "official doctors," too.  They're all a joke.  I'm not saying that the other sports leagues are innocent, but I don't believe, to my limited knowledge, that the other sports inflict such damage upon it's players, who then subsequently inflict such violence on even those who love them the most.  It's a disgusting sport, imo. 

On a related note, I wonder if hockey players suffer similar fates once they retire, given the fact that instead of actually playing hockey, as in the Olympics, these guys are essentially nothing more than boxers and mma fighters on ice.  My personal favorite thing about the NHL is how the officials just stand there and let the guys beat the Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. out of each other.  Classy (sarcasm) ::).

« Reply #79 on: September 08, 2014, 07:23:32 PM »

Offline CeltsAcumen

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
The arc of the NFL moral universe is long, but it bends towards optics...

The NFL is pretty much morally bankrupt at this point. Maybe it's appropriate that it's wildy popular in our culture. The way we feed off this league like its a religion. Maybe we are in decline..

No doubt.  This is a league who knows that their players are under major health risks and continues to sell the product.  They sell to children even though there is medical research on the affects of obesity with their offensive and defensive lineman and a shorten life span and that everyone in their league is in jeopardy of one bad hit turning them into vegetables.

Unions gave us safe work places, but the NFL does not need to comply.  People love football and want it at all costs.

I do not support the NFL, I used to represent a few guys back in my youth, non-draftees who had a single deal to negotiate to make a squad.  I stopped caring about the NFL when I read the literature on the health issues and when I saw that ESPN was the propaganda machine of the NFL. Disney is the devil and so is the NFL.  So I stopped around 2002 and haven't missed it.  I do not think I have watched more than 4 or 5 football games since 2002, including Superbowls.  In fact I got a great deal on a flight to New Zealand and Aussyland in 2004 bc i flew on Superbowl Sunday.

I know some do not agree, fine, but ask yourself when was the last NBA controversy of this magnitude.  NFL has one each and every year.  Remember when that guy killed his wife and shoved her in the trunk of his car?  NFL player.  Ray Lewis killed someone.  NFL player.  Some guy got stabbed at a Raider's game?  Wait that happens every year too.  its goes on and on.

« Reply #80 on: September 08, 2014, 07:47:40 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Is there a difference between athletes who are trained to be violent and soldiers who are trained to be violent when it comes to being concerned about their ability to behave in civil society?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #81 on: September 08, 2014, 08:15:30 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
NO, although you could argue that one serves a necessary protective function while the other is just for entertainment.

« Reply #82 on: September 08, 2014, 10:33:20 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
It's a bizarre and hilarious turn of events.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what the NJ procedures are for pressing domestic violence charges? Can the DA office file them, or is a complaint from the victim required?

No, it's not.  There's nothing even remotely funny about any of this.  Period.

« Reply #83 on: September 08, 2014, 10:37:26 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Context is pretty important, bros. Lewis got asked about it on a live broadcast, and specifically asked about him and Ray Rice, because ESPN are just as awful as the NFL.

http://deadspin.com/ray-lewis-theres-no-comparison-between-me-and-ray-ric-1632161715

"Steve [Bisciotti, Ravens owner] was saying," Lewis said, "the reason that Ray Rice will never play for the Ravens again is when he saw this video himself, he put his daughter, he put anyone that's connected to him that's a female, he put them in that position. And when you do that, you have to take a step back—when you're an owner, when you're anybody who walks into a room and sees that type of evidence, that you haven't heard before, haven't seen before. And one thing Steve made very clear: There is no comparison of me and Ray Rice. It's night and day. It's night and day of anything we've ever been through."

Consider that against what Mike Dikta said:
"I don't know Ray at all," Ditka said before, for some reason, feeling the need to continue. "I'm sure he's not a bad guy, but he made a bad mistake.

"Hey, two lives, are ruined," Ditka said. "These two lives are ruined. His earning power is destroyed. That's an important thing."

http://deadspin.com/mike-ditka-laments-ray-rice-suspension-his-earning-po-1632172878

It keeps going in the video. Eff that guy, earning power's got nothing to do with it.

WOW :o 

« Reply #84 on: September 08, 2014, 11:06:35 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Given the psychology of abuse, I'd be shocked if Janay Rice didn't believe herself culpable in being assaulted. Especially given how she apologized during that cringe-worthy press conference.
Stockholm syndrome, basically.
Similar sort of identification mechanism, though obviously a much more deep and complicated bond.

Just scary.
Yeah, it's very scary. I have a friend in a relationship similar to Ray Rice and Janay Palmer's, which is why I hate when people call Janay a "gold digger." These relationships occur regardless of the man or woman's bank account.

My friend, we'll call her Ashley, is in a relationship with a guy, who we'll call Bob. Bob is a part-time professor at a school and makes very little money. Most of his money goes to medical bills. He's a abusive and controlling. After "falling for him," she also found out he is a level two sex offender. Yet, my friend Ashley stays with him. She has told me countless times that she feels shame because she sets a bad example for her young cousins. She tells me that she knows it's wrong and being with him is the worst thing for her. She also removed me on Facebook and stopped talking to me. When I asked why she did that, she told me, "because you're a reminder of how right you are and how wrong I am about the relationship and being unable to leave it...it's shame and embarrassment." Since then Ashley hasn't answered my texts.

Now, I bring this up because I think it's important to say it before some clown comes in and blames Janay Palmer here. Maybe she is a gold digger. Maybe she's in it for the money. So what? There's a stronger chance that she's just stuck in a horrible abusive relationship like so many other men and women are across the world. It's psychological and she's stuck, and it won't be hard to pull her out even if Rice is put away.

I also bring this up because this story should be about Janay Palmer, not Ray Rice. We constantly discuss the person who instigated the crime. Whether it's this or a school shooting, we spend more time talking about the perpetrator. We need to change that.

I would just hope that Janay, my good friend "Ashley," and any other person stuck in relationships like this find the strength to pull away. We only have one life to live and it's important to maximize it to the fullest.

Stop.

« Reply #85 on: September 08, 2014, 11:16:42 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Ray Rice, war machine. Whats up with these guys?

« Reply #86 on: September 08, 2014, 11:19:26 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

« Reply #87 on: September 09, 2014, 12:02:11 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
looks like she had so many opportunities to leave, but the good life was just too much of an allure for her. I hope she wins her case and gets damages for the assault and battery, but she should also be made to return all the gifts she took from him.

« Reply #88 on: September 09, 2014, 02:38:28 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
You guys are going to love this one.  Beavis and Butthead are at it again -

After running through the details of the assault this morning, co-host Brian Kilmeade joked, “I think the message is, take the stairs.”

Unwilling to be outdone when it comes to laughing about graphic images of domestic violence, co-host Steve Doocy responded, “The message is when you’re in an elevator, there’s a camera.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/erik-wemple/wp/2014/09/08/new-low-for-fox-friends-joking-about-ray-rice-elevator-assault/

WOW :o 

Oh yeah, and how this guy still has a job is beyond me as well -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDzWvHhgTrY

« Reply #89 on: September 09, 2014, 09:08:02 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
That was actually the clip that got SAS pulled from the show --  I think he lost his job entirely.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.