Author Topic: GC's Yahoo! H2H League 2014 Constitutional Convention  (Read 34167 times)

Re: GC's Yahoo! H2H League 2014 Constitutional Convention
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2014, 04:48:03 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
I'm gonna spitball something here:

A moratorium on new GMs trading either their 1st rounder or any top 50 player (by O-ranK) for 2 months upon joining the league.

----------

we've seen this be a much bigger problem in the Pts. league, but in a dynasty format the worst thing is a new GM gutting his team (wittingly or unwittingly), IMO.

I'm in favor of this, or potentially a much stricter threshold for review? Any new GM trading a lottery pick or top 50 player in their first two months must have the trade approved by 70% of the league?

I would second Wiggle's proposal, at least the gist of it - I don't really like flatout banning trading good assets, but a higher bar for approval would add some training wheels to new ownership.  70% might be hard since it's hard to get 70% of the league to vote on anything in the offseason.

personally I'd just like to tell a new GM that they have to wait 2 months (or whatever) than get into a case-by-case review of their trades -- which makes it more subjective and therefore messy in my experience.

If a trade is good enough now, it should be there in 2 months.

1. this is a dynasty league not a redraft league so you don't need to move as quickly as in a redraft/keeper league. Conversely rash decisions last forever here that are wiped away in a league that you can keep (for example) 4 players...

2. the goal, IMO, of this rule is to force a new GM to (a) look at value of his assets/players, (b) give him time to get a number of offers (and hopefully the best return) and/or announce he's looking to move players X, Y, Z.

3. voting on value of players/trades as opposed to setting (even) arbitrary levels gets messy.

I remember my first trade (Biedrins (coming off his best season) for Jason Richardson) was panned by most of the league. I don't want to tell GMs what trades are good or bad, i just don't want them selling the farm the first week.
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2014, 04:48:19 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
Proposed Amendement #5

Champkind must immediately change his team's name from "I Hate You WW" to "I Hate to Love You WW." owing to the fact that the latter is both more honest and makes for a better team name.

Thirded.
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2014, 04:51:06 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Editing it out.  I think GC makes a fair case - if the deal's fair and available now, it'll be there in 2 months.  The only snag would be when that 2 month period straddles the draft. 

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2014, 05:01:36 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie

A moratorium on new GMs trading either their 1st rounder or any top 50 player (by O-ranK) for 2 months upon joining the league.

----------

we've seen this be a much bigger problem in the Pts. league, but in a dynasty format the worst thing is a new GM gutting his team (wittingly or unwittingly), IMO.

I'm in favor of this, or potentially a much stricter threshold for review? Any new GM trading a lottery pick or top 50 player in their first two months must have the trade approved by 70% of the league?

I would second Wiggle's proposal, at least the gist of it - I don't really like flatout banning trading good assets, but a higher bar for approval would add some training wheels to new ownership.  70% might be hard since it's hard to get 70% of the league to vote on anything in the offseason.

personally I'd just like to tell a new GM that they have to wait 2 months (or whatever) than get into a case-by-case review of their trades -- which makes it more subjective and therefore messy in my experience.

If a trade is good enough now, it should be there in 2 months.

I'm convinced that it should at least go to a vote. Seconded.

My only other thought, amend the restriction to cover only lottery picks rather than all 1st round picks?

« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2014, 06:31:49 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Ok....I'm gonna say a bunch of things here. There are some things I support and some things I don't. I want to make some points here.

One....things don't happen in a vacuum. We know each other fairly well. We know the history of both leagues pretty well. Realistically this rule proposal isn't because we have had a historical problem with this in this league. If we're keeping with the here and now then why is this coming up now? Has this ever been asked for in this league till now? Last year when I gutted my team in a trade with the commissioner nobody said "woah woah. A new guy gutting his team may not be so great".  If "in a dynasty format the worst thing is a new GM gutting his team" then why wasn't it the first amendment proposed, instead of proposed right after I submitted my trade? 

Next. The timing isn't great. Our new GMs have been operating normally and now all of sudden they wouldn't be able to. I would be more supportive of this if it were for next year and new GMs could be told right off the bat what the deal is.

Next.  I think we need to define a new GM. Jay has been in the other league for 3 seasons and we know him largely. He has been playing fantasy basketball since 2001. I don't really think of him as a new GM. If mkogav hypothetically had been a new GM this year (or say me last year) does that mean we shouldn't be able to operate normally? I'd say if you've been in another CG league for 3 years or on Yahoo for 10 you shouldn't be considered a new GM. What if Lucky decided to come back next year or so? Does he have a moratorium? I just think 3 years in a CG league, 10 in yahoo, and one in this should make you vested.

Next. I don't like the first round issue because it treats guys different. Some GMs don't even have first rounders. Guys with first rounders would have to pick for someone else and blah blah ...messy.

Last (for now I suppose) the deal absolutely should be there in two months, except that drafts happen so picks can't be sent, and players get waived and hurt.  Is Evan Turner a top 50 guy or not so much now?

I'm not saying I don't support this at all. On some levels I do. I'm saying I think the timing, reasons, and specifics of this amendment isn't great.

Deals are already subject to being vetoed by only a third of GMs.  It's not very hard to prevent a deal going through.  I think we may be trying to fix a small problem with a sledgehammer here. It's just frustrating. The guy came to me for a deal and I tried to dissuade him, but he wouldn't be denied. It didn't occur to me to say to him "Oh no. We can't do this". 
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 06:55:55 PM by eja117 »

« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2014, 09:59:45 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
Deals are already subject to being vetoed by only a third of GMs.  It's not very hard to prevent a deal going through.  I think we may be trying to fix a small problem with a sledgehammer here. It's just frustrating. The guy came to me for a deal and I tried to dissuade him, but he wouldn't be denied. It didn't occur to me to say to him "Oh no. We can't do this".

For what it's worth, I have no idea what the particulars of your deal with jayhova are, nor am I in any other fantasy leagues with the man, it doesn't relate at all to my support for the amendment.

I will say, you've now got me nervous. Is it that you know you're sitting on a lopsided deal?

« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2014, 07:08:52 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Here are my 2 proposed amendments... heading into a work meeting but will post explanations/justifications later today:

Proposed Amendment #1:
-------------------------------

NEW Article 7. At the end of the season the commissioner will conduct an Games Played Audit of the 12 non-playoff teams. For each player with with an o-rank in the top 150 misses more than 20 games that he plays in real life (i.e. Basketball Reference "games played" minus Y! Team Log "GP" > 20 games) that team shall be penalized 5 post-lottery draft spots.

Proposed Amendment #2:

NEW Article 19. Each team may have a maximum of 2 players listed as N/A in the Y! system and/or overseas players as described in #18 above.

I fully support both of these amendments. They are long overdue.

« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2014, 07:09:49 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

----------

I fully support this one as well.

« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2014, 07:14:21 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

For what it's worth, I have no idea what the particulars of your deal with jayhova are, nor am I in any other fantasy leagues with the man, it doesn't relate at all to my support for the amendment.

I will say, you've now got me nervous. Is it that you know you're sitting on a lopsided deal?
Kinda impossible to make a lopsided deal where you send out Anthony Davis. It's like sending out two Kevin Durants

« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2014, 07:15:55 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Here are my 2 proposed amendments... heading into a work meeting but will post explanations/justifications later today:

Proposed Amendment #1:

NEW Article 7. At the end of the season the commissioner will conduct an Games Played Audit of the 12 non-playoff teams. For each player with with an o-rank in the top 150 misses more than 20 games that he plays in real life (i.e. Basketball Reference "games played" minus Y! Team Log "GP" > 20 games) that team shall be penalized 5 post-lottery draft spots.

Proposed Amendment #2:

NEW Article 19. Each team may have a maximum of 2 players listed as N/A in the Y! system and/or overseas players as described in #18 above.

I fully support both of these amendments. They are long overdue.
I support them too

« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2014, 07:21:35 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Of the players I get back only one is top 50...and that guy isn't even top 35. And in return I send #2. Only he's like 21 years old. Yeah. Really lopsided.   Very well written amendment.

« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2014, 07:45:18 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
Proposition #6: Allow draft picks for the following season draft to be traded when trading opens before the season instead of on draft day. For example, picks for the 2015 draft would now be allowed to be traded now that trading has opened, instead of having to wait for trades to be official on the day of the 2014 draft. Reason being we all trade these picks ahead of time anyway, allowing it to be official earlier will allow GMs to organize the use of these picks better and to re-package them if desired. It will also allow for more time to review these deals.

« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2014, 07:58:49 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
Proposition #6: Allow draft picks for the following season draft to be traded when trading opens before the season instead of on draft day. For example, picks for the 2015 draft would now be allowed to be traded now that trading has opened, instead of having to wait for trades to be official on the day of the 2014 draft. Reason being we all trade these picks ahead of time anyway, allowing it to be official earlier will allow GMs to organize the use of these picks better and to re-package them if desired. It will also allow for more time to review these deals.

I agree,  waiting until draft day to trade next year's picks make for a very busy and confusing time with the picks being made and trades being announced.  I think they should be able to be traded when trading opens a few weeks before the draft.  As mentioned it gives more time for us to review.

Everyone is already discussing them  anyways.

« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2014, 08:16:16 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
thirded.

« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2014, 03:35:24 PM »

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 537
thirded.

4th

Mk

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks