Author Topic: Anybody use E-Cigs?  (Read 7165 times)

Anybody use E-Cigs?
« on: September 07, 2014, 09:24:56 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Just curious, anybody else here use E-cigs? What is your setup?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 09:31:52 PM by triboy16f »

Re: Anybody use E-Cigs?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 10:00:35 PM »

Offline Kevin OConnor

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 24
  • @KevinOConnorNBA
Just quit cold turkey and stop putting nicotine into your body. You can change your brain, it just takes the will to do it. Addiction can be beat, good luck!
www.twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA

I like sports and music.

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 10:06:17 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I've never smoked regular cigarettes or e-cigarettes, but my sister used to love smoking while she was drinking and wanted to stop after she had kids. She uses e-cigarettes now without any nicotine - the different 'flavors' actually smell pretty awesome and all that she is inhaling is steam (or whatever it actually is).

This may not help your specific situation and nicotine is obviously addictive, but it's sort of a new way to smoke without doing any [known] damage to your body.

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 10:07:38 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Just quit cold turkey and stop putting nicotine into your body. You can change your brain, it just takes the will to do it. Addiction can be beat, good luck!

Thanks. But it's easier said than done.  Did you also quit smoking?

I have been smoking for more than 10 years now.  Tried a few times to quit but it didn't work out. So far E-cigs has worked for me.  Eventuallly planning to go down to 0mg nicotine

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 10:10:50 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Stopped smoking cold turkey, never liked E-Cigs, although being able to use them inside is certainly a plus.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 10:14:17 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I've never smoked regular cigarettes or e-cigarettes, but my sister used to love smoking while she was drinking and wanted to stop after she had kids. She uses e-cigarettes now without any nicotine - the different 'flavors' actually smell pretty awesome and all that she is inhaling is steam (or whatever it actually is).

This may not help your specific situation and nicotine is obviously addictive, but it's sort of a new way to smoke without doing any [known] damage to your body.

Good you never started.

Good for your sister. It's better than going back to smoking real cigs. Without inhaling the tar , chemicals and carbon dioxide for the past two weeks, i'm feeling healthier these days.  No more smokers cough 

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 10:15:03 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Stopped smoking cold turkey, never liked E-Cigs, although being able to use them inside is certainly a plus.

How long has it been?  Do you have a short story behind it?

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 10:20:51 PM »

Offline Kevin OConnor

• Payton Pritchard
  • @KevinOConnorNBA

I have been smoking for more than 10 years now.  Tried a few times to quit but it didn't work out. So far E-cigs has worked for me.  Eventuallly planning to go down to 0mg nicotine
I have never smoked a cigarette. I just think that all addictions, no matter what it is, are beatable. No matter the addiction there comes a point when you just "can't resist." This is the point where you must resist in order to get over the hump. Some people have more of these stages than others, which is the case for most physical addictions (cigs, etc).

E-Cigs are definitely a solid option, but nicotine is still toxic, and you're still addicted to something: the e-cig itself.

I just look at it like this: If someone is try to lose weight, they can't be cooking macaroni and cheese at midnight. But they also can't be heating up a plate of grilled chicken, either. The chicken might be healthy, but it's still calories and it's counterproductive to the goal: losing weight. Totally restricting yourself, really fighting yourself from going and grabbing the food, is a much harder struggle, but it gets you closer to accomplishing your goal of losing weight.

Psychologically you could also be surrounded by smokers, whether it's friends, co-workers, or even family. This will make it increasingly harder for you since it's crucial in habit changes to avoid the thing you want to change.

Hopefully the e-cig works for you. Once you get to the stage of moving off the nicotine, do everything can to fight through that inevitable "can't resist" step. You can do it and stay strong!

I like sports and music.

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 10:29:12 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Good you never started.

Good for your sister. It's better than going back to smoking real cigs. Without inhaling the tar , chemicals and carbon dioxide for the past two weeks, i'm feeling healthier these days.  No more smokers cough

Yeah, it is definitely worlds better for you and those around you (I can't believe how much second hand smoke I used to inhale in punk rock clubs when I was younger). Hopefully the next step will be going with the nicotine-free e-cigarettes.

And, Kevin, I totally agree. It seems as though the term 'sickness' has taken over for the terms 'bad habit' or 'undisciplined'. Anybody can fight through their demons if they really try.

I certainly wish you success on your journey to quit, triboy. Whatever you do, try to avoid going back to actual cigarettes and never be afraid to depend on friends and family for support.

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 10:31:52 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Been a 'former smoker' for a year and a half, broken up in to 3-4 months of no smoking with bouts of relapsing -- not long, but long enough to make quitting a pain in the ass. I usually get spurred on to quit when I have a cold. I don't believe in that Alcoholics Anonymous mindset, but I also don't smoke two packs a day anymore. It takes about three weeks for your brain's nicotine receptors to go back to normal, so that's the benchmark I shoot for every time I stop.

The first three days are the worst, and the first week is bad too, esp. because of the insomnia. Not that I think it works for everyone, but I found a little bit of pot before bedtime worked about a thousand times better for me than the gum or anything else, especially if you don't smoke it regularly. See if you can take a three day weekend and plan your first day of quitting on the first day of that.

The problem with smoking is that it's really enjoyable, at least for me. I like smoking cigarettes, I like smoking a pipe, I like smoking hookah -- everything about tobacco is the bee's knees. Being addicted to it is a different story, and it's a difficult balance.

Apologies for the novel.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2014, 10:32:40 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

I have never smoked a cigarette. I just think that all addictions, no matter what it is, are beatable. No matter the addiction there comes a point when you just "can't resist." This is the point where you must resist in order to get over the hump. Some people have more of these stages than others, which is the case for most physical addictions (cigs, etc).

E-Cigs are definitely a solid option, but nicotine is still toxic, and you're still addicted to something: the e-cig itself.

I just look at it like this: If someone is try to lose weight, they can't be cooking macaroni and cheese at midnight. But they also can't be heating up a plate of grilled chicken, either. The chicken might be healthy, but it's still calories and it's counterproductive to the goal: losing weight. Totally restricting yourself, really fighting yourself from going and grabbing the food, is a much harder struggle, but it gets you closer to accomplishing your goal of losing weight.

Psychologically you could also be surrounded by smokers, whether it's friends, co-workers, or even family. This will make it increasingly harder for you since it's crucial in habit changes to avoid the thing you want to change.

Hopefully the e-cig works for you. Once you get to the stage of moving off the nicotine, do everything can to fight through that inevitable "can't resist" step. You can do it and stay strong!

Thanks for the encouragement. I will try to go down to 0 mg nicotine but right now at the lowest level 0.6-0.8 and i think i will be ok.

Nicotine is toxic but not much worse than caffeine is (belong to the stimulant family of drug). It would be great to not require any nicotine or caffeine (coffee, tea) to get through a normal day, but it's not realistic for me.  Nicotine maybe and i only have one cup of coffee anyways.

It's the tar and other chemicals in cigarettes that cause major issues down the road. These are the things i want to avoid moving fwd.  I went to a lounge the other day and usually would cave in and need a cig to go with my alcohol buzz but instead i resorted to using my ecig.  For now, it's working   
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 10:42:41 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2014, 10:41:49 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Been a 'former smoker' for a year and a half, broken up in to 3-4 months of no smoking with bouts of relapsing -- not long, but long enough to make quitting a pain in the ass. I usually get spurred on to quit when I have a cold. I don't believe in that Alcoholics Anonymous mindset, but I also don't smoke two packs a day anymore. It takes about three weeks for your brain's nicotine receptors to go back to normal, so that's the benchmark I shoot for every time I stop.

The first three days are the worst, and the first week is bad too, esp. because of the insomnia. Not that I think it works for everyone, but I found a little bit of pot before bedtime worked about a thousand times better for me than the gum or anything else, especially if you don't smoke it regularly. See if you can take a three day weekend and plan your first day of quitting on the first day of that.

The problem with smoking is that it's really enjoyable, at least for me. I like smoking cigarettes, I like smoking a pipe, I like smoking hookah -- everything about tobacco is the bee's knees. Being addicted to it is a different story, and it's a difficult balance.

Apologies for the novel.

yup, i get what you mean.  There is an addiction aspect but also can be enjoyable.  For me it's kind of like caffeine and when you have a cup of coffee to start your day.

I quit smoking for 5 months a few years ago and i thought i was on the road to quit permanently but i fell off the wagon one day and couldn't get back on.   It's a habit very difficult to break.   

Hopefully you can permanently. 

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2014, 10:45:18 PM »

Offline MISSERY

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 12
may i know if what is really the main ingredients of e-cigs?

how does the smoke formed?
remember it has battery etc etc;

any could explain?

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2014, 10:53:48 PM »

Offline Kevin OConnor

• Payton Pritchard
  • @KevinOConnorNBA

any could explain?
An e-cig using nicotine in liquid form, which is heated up by an internal heater, which then turns the liquid into vapor. Marijuana and hookah are often smoked in this way as well.

I like sports and music.

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2014, 10:54:01 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

any could explain?

Propylene Glycol (PG), Vegetable Glycerin (VG) and Flavoring/Nicotine (both optional).

Vapor not smoke is produced.  It's alot to explain how the vapor is produced so you need to look it up online or use wikipedia.  The main components are an atomizer or coil (which you need to replace every 4-5 weeks) , body or tank to hold the liquid and battery to provide the power.   The guy who came up with this device (2002-2003?) is from China and he did it after a family died from lung career from smoking cigarettes.