Author Topic: A Realistic Marcus Smart Comparison  (Read 29730 times)

Re: A Realistic Marcus Smart Comparison
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2014, 11:45:13 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Yeah a poor man's MRR would be plausible, but I'm not sure what that entails exactly, 12/6/4 and 2 steals on 42% shooting?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #61 on: September 08, 2014, 01:08:11 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Yeah a poor man's MRR would be plausible, but I'm not sure what that entails exactly, 12/6/4 and 2 steals on 42% shooting?

Something like that with perhaps more scoring.  MRR had some really good numbers in individual seasons but overall it's only the steals that stand out as a career average.

« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2014, 07:48:02 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

First of all, TP for the excellent analysis.  I know that a few people have mentioned Tyreke Evans, and although I tend to agree with such a comparison, allow me to go one step further, even if it might not be the most realistic of comparisons.  Actually, no, I think there's some merit to my comparison, but anyway, I remember watching a game the Celtics played in Sacremento during Tyreke's rookie year, and Mike asked Tommy who Evans reminded him of, and Tommy said Michael Ray Richardson.  I honestly think that Smart could be like Sugar, because even though he's an inch shorter, both players are big guards who are defensive aces with pretty good to excellent (in the case of Richardson) playmaking skills.  The comparison is especially realistic in terms of steals.  We all know how Smart gets a ton of deflections and steals because of how he plays the passing lanes, and Michael Ray averaged 2.6 spg  :o for his drug-shortened career, and that's outstanding.  Richardson was the better shooter, though, right?  Am I completely nuts lol?
Michael Ray Richardson is a pretty lofty expectation imo.  Guy was in magics caliber prior to drugs

Agreed, insofar as this is probably the most unlikely comparison that's been made so far.

Remember when Tommy said Steimsma reminded him of Bill Russell? Smart is likely to be to Richardson what Steamer was to Russ, although, as always, I'll be quite happy to be proven wrong.

To be fair, Tommy said one specific aspect of Stiemsma's game (good timing on shotblocking) reminded him of one specific aspect of Russell's game.  It was a very narrow comparison that got blown out of proportion.

I think a poor man's Michael Ray Richardson isn't bad as a plausible ceiling for Smart.  Didn't see much of Richardson but they seem to have similar skillsets, though Smart isn't as good in any area except strength and the standard generational differences in 3-point shooting.

Well of course it is - I made it lol ;D  I remember the Stiemsma comments as well, but I thought that I'd just throw it out there anyway haha. 

I would certainly hope that Smart could turn into at least a poor man's Richardson, except, in place of excellent playmaking skills he is a much better slasher than Michael Ray.  I've only seen youtube clips of Sugar, so I think he's a better shooter than Smart, but I do see some similarities.  Well, would you at that - I've gone from comparing him to Shumpert to Michael Ray in my own thread about being realistic.  Ugh ;D  It would be awesome if he did turn into Richardson, though, without the drug problems of course.

« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2014, 09:42:04 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Side bar - wasn't it MRR who famously said, "the ship be sinking," to describe a season with the Knicks (I believe), to which a reporter asked, "how far can it sink," and Sugar replied, "the sky's the limit." ahahaha ;D

« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2014, 10:00:25 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
I misread this as "A Realistic Marcus Thornton Comparison" and fiercely  ::) ::) ::) at the notion of Thornton being compared to Shumpert as a defender in any kind of way.

« Reply #65 on: September 08, 2014, 10:11:47 PM »

Offline testy

• NCE
  • Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 6
I'm thinking Chauncey Billups myself.

« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2014, 10:13:19 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
I do think DWade is his best comparison. He will not be as good as Wade, almost certainly, but they have similar strengths and weaknesses. Wade has (had) the edge in athleticism, of course, but Smart might have more point guard skills. Smart might develop his 3pt shot as well as Wade has, or he might not.

Smart will be a great defender for sure, and if all goes well offensively he could peak not far below Wade-level great.

« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2014, 10:50:55 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
I'm thinking Chauncey Billups myself.

Hmm.  Interesting.  Billups is a great shooter, though.

« Reply #68 on: September 08, 2014, 10:51:22 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
I misread this as "A Realistic Marcus Thornton Comparison" and fiercely  ::) ::) ::) at the notion of Thornton being compared to Shumpert as a defender in any kind of way.

lol.

« Reply #69 on: September 09, 2014, 02:46:29 AM »

fitzhickey

Maybe not playing style wise, but statistically similar to a young Alvin Robertson?

« Reply #70 on: September 09, 2014, 05:26:16 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
If these are going to be realistic Marcus Smart comparisons then when you post your comparison include what position you believe he will play for his career.

I personally believe he will be our point guard sooner rather than later. And I think he is going to be an all star at point guard.

« Reply #71 on: September 09, 2014, 08:18:14 AM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
A 6'4" Mugsy Bogues.

« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2014, 01:24:36 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
I'd be more than a little disappointed if he turned into Kyle Lowry, myself.  Could someone who made the comparison please explain it to me?  Admittedly, aside from a little of his play against the Nets in the playoffs last year, I haven't seen a lot of the guy.  Did he really just come into his own last year, or is that just me?

« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2014, 01:25:18 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
As far as a current player, I'd love to see Marcus Smart turn into the next Deron Williams.  I have the feeling that Smart is going to bully smaller, less physical point guards.  And then feeding off his defense, he will create offense for the Celtics.  And those TO's leading into points are essentially 4 point swings.  Would love to see Smart hit his ceiling with the Celtics as the ceiling is very high.

« Reply #74 on: September 10, 2014, 03:11:49 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
As far as a current player, I'd love to see Marcus Smart turn into the next Deron Williams.  I have the feeling that Smart is going to bully smaller, less physical point guards.  And then feeding off his defense, he will create offense for the Celtics.  And those TO's leading into points are essentially 4 point swings.  Would love to see Smart hit his ceiling with the Celtics as the ceiling is very high.

In terms of size I can definitely see a bit of a comparison, but that's where it stops for me.  As much as I hate D-Will and the attention and praise he receives, the guy is a much better shooter and passer, although obviously Smart is better defensively, which may be the understatement of the century lol ;D

Regardless, I hope that he'll be a great player for a long time in Boston, but at the same time, I'm not going to get excited (yet) because that's just setting myself up for more disappointment haha.  I'm hoping for the best and preparing for/expecting the worst.