Author Topic: A Realistic Marcus Smart Comparison  (Read 29641 times)

A Realistic Marcus Smart Comparison
« on: September 06, 2014, 09:36:45 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I know, I know, "realistic," and, "celticsblog," don't exactly go hand in hand ;D.  We've all been guilty of over-hyping players and setting unrealistic expectations for guys over the years, so I thought of a much more realistic comparison for Smart.  No, he's not Westbrook, DJ (I said that one.  Yeah...I'm as guilty as anyone else on here haha), or Lance Stephenson, but could he possibly be a shorter, less-athletic version of Iman Shumpert?  Is that reasonable? 

Re: A Realistic Marcus Smart Comparison
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 09:40:10 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Tyreke Evans.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 09:40:30 PM »

fitzhickey

I know, I know, "realistic," and, "celticsblog," don't exactly go hand in hand ;D.  We've all been guilty of over-hyping players and setting unrealistic expectations for guys over the years, so I thought of a much more realistic comparison for Smart.  No, he's not Westbrook, DJ (I said that one.  Yeah...I'm as guilty as anyone else on here haha), or Lance Stephenson, but could he possibly be a shorter, less-athletic version of Iman Shumpert?  Is that reasonable?
It's reasonable, but he seems to/should have more point guard skills than Shump.

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 09:42:51 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
No. Smart will be an all-star. I see that being more realistic than these comparisons to role players.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 09:50:41 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
I like the Kyle Lowry comparison I heard from our own member Kane.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 09:50:41 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Joe Dumars
Tyreke Evans

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 10:05:32 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
Not a big fan of comparisons, but I think Smart has the tools to become a Bledsoe-type player, with a higher ceiling.

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 10:11:08 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Man, I'd be pretty disappointed if he turned into a lesser Iman Shumpert.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 10:27:26 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
TP mostly because when I see the word "realistic" in a post title I think the content will be anything but that.

I would rate this as "pessimistic" unless you're talking about pre-injury Shumpert, who was a pretty hot asset at one point.

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2014, 10:33:24 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I actually see Smart as a Bledsoe type of player with a stronger build, but less quickness/athleticism. I think Bledsoe has great ball handling skills, but hes not a PG. Hes a SG just like Westbrook.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2014, 10:52:08 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
I like the Kyle Lowry comparison I heard from our own member Kane.

Tp.

I think a little bit better version of Lowry is realistic and probably where he ends up. I saw tyreke as a floor. I'm optimistic for a more dedicated and maybe less flashy version of baron Davis.

Like baron he is coming into the league with lots of criticism about his shot. However also like baron he's a flat out bullie. He physically overpowers players at his position and he can get to the basket  consistently without being overly explosive.

Scouting report of b diddy from 1999 before the draft. Honestly it's identical to smart.

Baron Davis - UCLA. 6'2" 190. Baron has the strongest will that I've seen recently in college basketball. He is very emotional, which can go either way. Sometimes he'll carry a team on his back, simply refusing to lose, - and sometimes he'll get carried away and lose his cool (Alonzo style). That having been said, he is still a rare find because he is a point guard that can handle and push the tempo like Jason Kidd. Baron also moves well without the ball. His jumper is suspect. He is a 60% free throw shooter that shot 34% from beyond the college arc. I question his ability to hit the NBA three. Had ACL surgery in March `98. It is worth repeating that Baron has a super-super strong will. I wouldn't rule out anything with Davis, either good or bad because he's so stubborn.

http://www.basslinespin.com/nbadraftreport.htm

Cool link on the 1999 draft. (Steve Francis, Lamar odom, Elton brand, Shawn Marion, artest, jet, rip etc.)

« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 11:00:02 PM by Kane3387 »

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2014, 10:53:05 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I actually see Smart as a Bledsoe type of player with a stronger build, but less quickness/athleticism. I think Bledsoe has great ball handling skills, but hes not a PG. Hes a SG just like Westbrook.

I thought Bledsoe as well but Marcus has some PG skills.  Bledsoe is a pretty strong guy too.

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2014, 10:59:41 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
I'm gonna go all in. Dwyane Wade. Specifically, his ability to draw fouls. Wade averaged 9 FTAs per36 his sophomore season, something only 5 other guards have achieved. He's at 8 per36 for his career. Most agree Smart will be able to effectively get to the line, and from what I've seen, he's good at angling his body to take contact and getting his arms underneath.

I can only hope he becomes as skilled a flopper as Wade. He's pretty good already, but Wade is in a class of his own. It is a useful skill once mastered.

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2014, 11:13:49 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Man, I'd be pretty disappointed if he turned into a lesser Iman Shumpert.
I'd also be disappointed if he turned into a better Iman Shumpert!

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2014, 11:50:34 PM »

Offline DarkAzcura

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 100
Poor man's James Harden offensively with much better defense. I say this because of their similar shot selection on offense. It's pretty uncommon to see two players rely on 3PT shooting and driving to the rim with barely anything in-between. Neither player relies on explosive athleticism to drive to the rim. They're either crafty or bull their way through. The difference is James Harden was a much better 3PT shooter in college (5% better), and this is why I'm primarily saying he'll be a poor man's version. Remains to be seen how Smart adjusts to NBA length and whether his 3PT shot gets better or not, but stylistically I feel comfortable saying Harden.

Smart took 42% of his FGA from the 3PT line in college, while Harden has been hovering around 40% 3PAr (not 3PT%) in the NBA. Smart had a 65% FTr (not FT%) in college while Harden had a 60% FTr in college. Smart took around 45% of his FGA at the rim (meaning ~87% of his FGA were either at the rim or the 3PT line; barely anything in-between) while Harden takes about 30-35% of his FGA at the rim in the NBA (not sure about college) totaling to about 70-75% of his FGA coming from either the rim or the 3PT line.

Both are above average playmakers that can run your offense (though I don't like what Harden has become in Houston honestly). OKC relied on Harden to be their point guard down the stretch because of how erratic Westbrook can be.

I think Baron Davis is a good comparison overall (big point guard, lots of 3s, shaky shot selection, great defense, etc), but he didn't get to the FT line as much as Smart projects to. Smart's foul drawing ability is one of his biggest pluses. That and his 3PT chucking is what leans me to more of a Harden comparison (for offense). Most 3PT chuckers (and I mean this in the best of ways) do not drive to the rim and draw fouls as much as Harden and Smart do.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 12:02:57 AM by DarkAzcura »