Author Topic: College football 2014  (Read 10084 times)

Re: College football 2014
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2015, 10:09:04 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Anyways, What does everyone think of Mariota???  If I am the Bucs, I take a long hard look at Winston, at least he played in a pro style offense for two years.  I know he is a fool off the field but few can match his ability to throw the football on it....

I'd have some serious reservations about taking him #1.  From a pure skills standpoint, Winston is the safer pick between the two. 

I think there is a legitimate concern about Mariota's red zone play.  Something about when those windows tighten up.  He made some awful throws down there last night.  Missed a wide open TE in the flat on third down, a couple of overthrows.   Even watching the Rose Bowl against FSU, he seemed to have some struggles on some throws. 

Winston has an absolute cannon.  I think he has some character/immaturity issues but he is a very solid pocket passer and should translate well to the pros if he can just keep his head on straight.

I am bias, I have been a FSU football fan for the last 20 years or so.  IMO Winston is the best QB in college football and it's not even close.  If he kept his nose clean off the field, the Bucs would have already picked him...hahah...He has a major advantage over Mariota, he played / practiced 3 years in a pro-style offense ( one as a red shirt ).  He takes snaps under center, in the gun etc..

The one thing that nobody talks about ( which is mostly Winston's fault ) is that he is a smart kid.  Very good student, almost went to Stanford ( he actually got accepted there ).  On the field, he is brilliant in terms of reading defenses and going through his progressions.  You should read Greg Bedard's article about him. 

Everyone is going to say that he threw a lot of picks this year????  Well, yes he did.  But he was also playing with two true freshman receivers and a bad offensive line until the end of the year. 

IMO - if he keeps his nose clean ( I think Lovie Smith is what he needs ) he will be a great NFL QB, not just a good one, a great one. 

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2015, 10:19:47 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Anyways, What does everyone think of Mariota???  If I am the Bucs, I take a long hard look at Winston, at least he played in a pro style offense for two years.  I know he is a fool off the field but few can match his ability to throw the football on it....

I'd have some serious reservations about taking him #1.  From a pure skills standpoint, Winston is the safer pick between the two. 

I think there is a legitimate concern about Mariota's red zone play.  Something about when those windows tighten up.  He made some awful throws down there last night.  Missed a wide open TE in the flat on third down, a couple of overthrows.   Even watching the Rose Bowl against FSU, he seemed to have some struggles on some throws. 

Winston has an absolute cannon.  I think he has some character/immaturity issues but he is a very solid pocket passer and should translate well to the pros if he can just keep his head on straight.

I am bias, I have been a FSU football fan for the last 20 years or so.  IMO Winston is the best QB in college football and it's not even close.  If he kept his nose clean off the field, the Bucs would have already picked him...hahah...He has a major advantage over Mariota, he played / practiced 3 years in a pro-style offense ( one as a red shirt ).  He takes snaps under center, in the gun etc..

The one thing that nobody talks about ( which is mostly Winston's fault ) is that he is a smart kid.  Very good student, almost went to Stanford ( he actually got accepted there ).  On the field, he is brilliant in terms of reading defenses and going through his progressions.  You should read Greg Bedard's article about him. 

Everyone is going to say that he threw a lot of picks this year????  Well, yes he did.  But he was also playing with two true freshman receivers and a bad offensive line until the end of the year. 

IMO - if he keeps his nose clean ( I think Lovie Smith is what he needs ) he will be a great NFL QB, not just a good one, a great one.

I'd have no problem with him going to an NFC team.  Let him be that conference's problem. 

I'm not saying that Mariota will be a bust but I think he'll be much more of a pro project than Winston.  It'll take him more time & coaching to get to a point where I think he can be a bonafide starter in the league. 

With Winston, I think he can walk into an organization on day one and be their starter.  Put him on Tampa with weapons like Evans & Jackson, I think he can succeed.  He just needs to put to rest any off the field crap and learn that the professional level is your job and you'll need to put the time in. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2015, 10:48:34 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton

I'd have no problem with him going to an NFC team.  Let him be that conference's problem. 

I'm not saying that Mariota will be a bust but I think he'll be much more of a pro project than Winston.  It'll take him more time & coaching to get to a point where I think he can be a bonafide starter in the league. 

With Winston, I think he can walk into an organization on day one and be their starter.  Put him on Tampa with weapons like Evans & Jackson, I think he can succeed.  He just needs to put to rest any off the field crap and learn that the professional level is your job and you'll need to put the time in.

I agree with you if the Bucs take him, he is the starter from Day 1 - On the field he has some Andrew Luck / Big Ben in his game...

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2015, 10:56:24 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I'm happy for Ohio State, but even more happy that Oregon lost. I'm so tired of all the neon-green, 57-uniform-variations, we're-so-cool-because-we're-so-different vibe coming out of Oregon and Seattle.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2015, 11:04:06 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I'm happy for Ohio State, but even more happy that Oregon lost. I'm so tired of all the neon-green, 57-uniform-variations, we're-so-cool-because-we're-so-different vibe coming out of Oregon and Seattle.
That's a fair point. Sooooommee day the Nike money at Oregon will drop off and they will come back to Earth

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2015, 11:08:48 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

I'm the other way. I'm bummed Oregon didn't win.
Oh well.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2015, 11:15:08 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

I agreed with everything until "(I think Lovie Smith is what he needs)". He's got a checkered past with QBs.

Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2015, 11:19:49 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton

I agreed with everything until "(I think Lovie Smith is what he needs)". He's got a checkered past with QBs.

I was thinking more of a role model than a coach - They hired an OC that Coached Matt Ryan in the early years....Should be a nice fit if the Bucs decide to go that way...

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2015, 01:59:57 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

I'm the other way. I'm bummed Oregon didn't win.
Oh well.

My condolences, Cman. I didn't have any vested interest in the game, I'm just so competitive that I have to pick a team to root for in every championship contest, even if it's a sport I generally don't follow (such as college football).
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2015, 04:26:05 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

I honestly never thought much of Mariota as a pro prospect and still don't.  I've always seen him as a system guy.  He has a good arm, but it isn't a great arm.  I don't see him throwing bullets in December in New England (for example).  I also don't think he is the most accurate guy in the world.  Once Ohio State started shutting down the run, Oregon's offense was totally out of sync and Mariota looked lost out there.  He is runs a very gimmicky offense and I wouldn't invest the #1 pick in the draft in him.  The problem is Winston is just such a knucklehead off the field it would be hard to invest the #1 pick in him as well (though I believe he is clearly the better pro prospect and can make all the throws).  If I'm Tampa, I think I take Winston.  Local kid and better pro skills and I just hope he gets his off the field life in order and turns it around like Brett Favre, Cris Carter, and countless others. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip