Author Topic: The 1991 NBA Playoffs  (Read 7064 times)

Re: The 1991 NBA Playoffs
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2014, 12:28:05 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
[dang], I was 3...no memory of it lol

the best years were definitely the 80s to mid 90s

I wasn't even a year old lol.  Like I said, NBA history, especially Celtics' history, is a hobby of mine haha.  I'll give you the 80s, but not the mid 90s.  To me, the golden age was from 79-80 to 91-92, and everyone knows why ;D

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2014, 12:36:17 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
I suppose that I could have added Michael Cooper to Detroit's shopping list ;D, but like DJ, there are certain guys who just shouldn't switch uniforms, especially for the one of their adversaries (Ray, cough, cough.).

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2014, 11:06:21 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Boston aside, what surprised you the most about that postseason?  Was it the Lakers making the Finals?  For me, it's kind of surprising how the Pistons lost to Chicago.  Was anyone else shocked that they were swept?  I thought that our series against the Cavs in 2010 was going to go the same way because of our age, injuries, and being on the road, but I was pleasantly surprised. 

I mean, sure, Detroit was an older team and they had injuries, but they also had great depth.  It just looks like they kind of limped to the ECF and said, "we're done," haha.  Where was the fight and the effort that they had showed against the Celtics and Hawks?  It just, something feels off about that series to me.  It should have been a great one, imo.

That was probably the first playoffs series that I really paid attention to.  I remember being bummed that year because the C's were so good in the first half but kind of limped into the playoffs.  I know that in 91 most people thought that the Bulls would win, but I think it was a shock that it was a sweep.  It seemed like the Pistons threw their best punch (literally and figuratively with that bunch of goons), and when Chicago didn't flinch, Detroit buckled like a card table.  That team aged in a hurry.  Champions in 1990 and by 1992 they were first round fodder.

It may have been may naivete at the time, but I really thought Portland could have beat the Bulls in 1991.  I thought they had the athleticism to match up with the Bulls and I thought they had better depth.  This may also be because I always like those Blazer teams and that I was already getting a distaste for Michael Jordan.

Just a quick update regarding that Blazers squad - I found this video of one of the games between Portland and Chicago from that year last night.  Naturally, seeing is better than looking over the box scores lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4verpbyZL7Q