Author Topic: Trade deadline: Rondo and Green to the hornets trade idea  (Read 11081 times)

Re: Trade deadline: Rondo and Green to the hornets trade idea
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2014, 04:59:47 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
There is nothing that I would want in that Knicks proposal.  Biyombo and MKG at least are interesting players who could develop with some good coaching and a change of scenery.  But it is probably true that we don't need two more poor offensive players.

« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2014, 06:19:40 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
You can find suitable trades for Rondo that are logical.  I don't think a trade that returns another young, starting caliber point guard (who will also be a RFA at the end of the season, by the way) when the Celtics just drafted a point guard makes much sense, though.

It's not exactly a disaster if the Celtics don't end up trading Rondo or Green and they both leave at the end of the season, anyway.  The Celtics have MORE than enough assets to work around that.  Not trading Millsap or Jefferson hasn't exactly ruined the Jazz; in fact, they immediately turned the cap space they freed up by letting those guys walk into a bunch of unprotected draft picks and expiring contracts.
exactly.  as much as I'd like to get something really good if we HAVE to deal Rondo and/or Green, we don't HAVE to trade them at all.  if somehow they both leave at the end of the season and the C's don't work out a trade for them, the C's will have CAP space to use for trades or FA signings.  not trading them is not the end of the world.  as you mentioned, Utah started making use of that room already and have some good young players already to show for it.

This is exactly what I said in another thread.  If the net on the trade is just more mediocre / average players that we are somehow going to have to deal later, why wouldn't we prefer the cap space and roll the dice.

If Rondo makes it clear that he doesn't want to re-sign, then a return of a couple of decent prospects still on rookie contracts, a first, and an expiring to match dollars makes some sense. We would pick up some promising players while still maintaining salary flexibility.

Again, this is only if Rondo is definitely not returning.

« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2014, 06:35:53 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Its the same argument of why we just didnt let kg and pp walk.. If we did that means no wallace. Also means no james young or TE that got us Zeller and another future 1st,. No extra 1st for next years draft. If your going to rebuild just keep mounting on young assets. Let them kill each other for playing time and when the time is right trade them for a key vet(s). We will have cap space if we let rondo and green walk but cap space for what!? Who is going to sign here

« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2014, 06:57:19 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
You can find suitable trades for Rondo that are logical.  I don't think a trade that returns another young, starting caliber point guard (who will also be a RFA at the end of the season, by the way) when the Celtics just drafted a point guard makes much sense, though.

It's not exactly a disaster if the Celtics don't end up trading Rondo or Green and they both leave at the end of the season, anyway.  The Celtics have MORE than enough assets to work around that.  Not trading Millsap or Jefferson hasn't exactly ruined the Jazz; in fact, they immediately turned the cap space they freed up by letting those guys walk into a bunch of unprotected draft picks and expiring contracts.
exactly.  as much as I'd like to get something really good if we HAVE to deal Rondo and/or Green, we don't HAVE to trade them at all.  if somehow they both leave at the end of the season and the C's don't work out a trade for them, the C's will have CAP space to use for trades or FA signings.  not trading them is not the end of the world.  as you mentioned, Utah started making use of that room already and have some good young players already to show for it.

This is exactly what I said in another thread.  If the net on the trade is just more mediocre / average players that we are somehow going to have to deal later, why wouldn't we prefer the cap space and roll the dice.

If Rondo makes it clear that he doesn't want to re-sign, then a return of a couple of decent prospects still on rookie contracts, a first, and an expiring to match dollars makes some sense. We would pick up some promising players while still maintaining salary flexibility.

Again, this is only if Rondo is definitely not returning.

Conversely, if Rondo makes it clear that he intends to explore free agency (which, by all accounts, seems to be the case), the Celtics are not likely to receive a great return: no team is going to surrender much for a soon-to-be free agent.  Even the Kevin Love deal was contingent on a handshake agreement from Love to re-sign with Cleveland at the end of the season.   At that point, the Celtics may very well have to make a decision between getting what they can for Rondo or potentially utilizing the resulting cap space from letting him walk to attain even better assets. 

This is what I was getting at when I brought up what the Jazz did with Millsap and Jefferson.  There were rumors all season long of Utah contemplating moving one or both of those guys.  They ultimately didn't and they were soundly criticized for not doing so, as it seemed apparent they were going to let both players walk.  However, because they didn't do any trades that might have compromised their future cap space, they then ended up with such little financial commitment to their remaining players that they were able to accept a salary dump of $24+ million from Golden State.  In exchange, they received three second rounders and two unprotected first rounders.  That return is likely far better than whatever they might've gotten for Jefferson and/or Millsap, whom were both impending free agents that teams were not going to sacrifice much for.  If you look at the trades from the trade deadline of 2013, not a single first rounder changed hands; no one was going to give up a first rounder for a couple of months of either player, let alone an unprotected one.

Basically, if the Celtics' best offer for Rondo happens to be, say, MKG + Biyombo + two second rounders for Rondo + Green (since it's simply not realistic that the Bobcats would surrender all of those assets in the original proposal at the trade deadline for potentially just 20 or so games of Rondo and Green), they might want to pass on that.  They might want to take their chances at using their subsequent cap space to accept a salary dump that could return far more valuable first round draft picks (or even better, young prospects with more promise than those two).

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2014, 12:08:05 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Only trade I'd do with Charlotte would be with Vonleh included.
I don't want any of their other crap. Biyombo is expiring so he's filler.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2014, 01:50:21 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Who says the trade can't include more teams.  Because Walker would not make sense on our team , so we could send him somewhere else in a 3/4 team trade.

Personally I am not a fan of MKG. He literally can't shoot. Also, I was huge on Vonleh but I think there was a reason we passed on him and it may have been bc of performance enhancers.......completely speculation on my part....but its very hard to gain 35lbs of muscle over a summer.

I do like Bismac Biyombu. He only played 13mpg last year and averaged almost 5 boards and 1.12 blocks. He averaged 1.83 blocks his rookie year at only 19years old. He just turned 22 a week ago.

Now on CHA he is a backup. He will not start over big al and CHA has a few talented 4's that can stretch the floor, including Marvin Williams, Zeller, Vonleh. So I think we can get him w/o Rondo or Green, or we do a 3-4 team trade where we get back what we want.

« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2014, 08:36:33 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
No
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 08:45:20 AM by Irish Stew »

« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2014, 08:44:00 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
Only trade I'd do with Charlotte would be with Vonleh included.
I don't want any of their other crap. Biyombo is expiring so he's filler.
This trade fails on two levels. It doesn't pass the trade machine and any trade like this that doesn't include Vonleh is a nonstarter as far as I'm concerned. The trade that does pass the trade machine is Vonleh, Henderson, Neal, Walker and Kidd-Gillchrist for Rondo and Green. Even if they add draft choices, is this something that we would want to do?

« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2014, 06:35:59 PM »

Offline bmac934

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 7
Celtics get mclemore mkg vonleh, kings 1st, and cha 1st.
With kemba going to Sacramento and rondo going to Charlotte.
That's the only trade I would do at this point.  Kemba doesn't really make sense for our team right now and to get him to want to stay we would have to overpay.  2 1st round draft picks and three very talented, young, and cheap players with high potential isnt a bad return.