Author Topic: Trade deadline: Rondo and Green to the hornets trade idea  (Read 11100 times)

Re: Trade deadline: Rondo and Green to the hornets trade idea
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2014, 02:01:57 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Don't see Rondo as a need when they have Walker at such a low cost. MKG, Vonleh + filler for Green and clipper's first should be something to consider.

Walker, Stephenson, Green, Biyombo, Al could make some noise in the playoffs. All guys are under 30 so they can go for a good run. Vonleh is 2 or 3 years away from helping a playoff team. MKG is too limited a player to help that team too.

Smart, Young, Vonleh would be a great rebuild haul in one year.

Bc its time for them to make some noise and not get eliminated in the 1st round every year.

Jefferson
Vonleh
Green
Stephenson
Rondo

Pretty decent looking lineup and has the potential to beat better teams unlike last years bobcats team

But why the heck would the Celtics do this trade?

I agree with this giving Green up for Vonleh and MKG is different giving them Rondo you are not getting back enough. Unless like another poster mentioned they take on Wallace.

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2014, 02:03:25 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Don't see Rondo as a need when they have Walker at such a low cost. MKG, Vonleh + filler for Green and clipper's first should be something to consider.

Walker, Stephenson, Green, Biyombo, Al could make some noise in the playoffs. All guys are under 30 so they can go for a good run. Vonleh is 2 or 3 years away from helping a playoff team. MKG is too limited a player to help that team too.

Bc its time for them to make some noise and not get eliminated in the 1st round every year.

Jefferson
Vonleh
Green
Stephenson
Rondo

Pretty decent looking lineup and has the potential to beat better teams unlike last years bobcats team

Bc we are out of playoffs contention by the trade deadline and may lose green and rondo for nothing.

I think Danny would rather roll the dice on seeing this thing to the end & potentially losing them for nothing & take on the extra cap space than take on that poo-poo platter of parts that wouldn't necessarily fit with this current roster.  Especially if you're not trying to dump the Wallace roster out there with them.

You see i stated by the trade deadline. If we are like 10th or 11th place, whats the pt to see how things finish up?

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2014, 02:06:29 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1623
  • What a Pub Should Be

Jefferson
Vonleh
Green
Stephenson
Rondo

Bc we are out of playoffs contention by the trade deadline and may lose green and rondo for nothing.

I think Danny would rather roll the dice on seeing this thing to the end & potentially losing them for nothing & take on the extra cap space than take on that poo-poo platter of parts that wouldn't necessarily fit with this current roster.  Especially if you're not trying to dump the Wallace roster out there with them.

You see i stated by the trade deadline. If we are like 10th or 11th place, whats the pt to see how things finish up?

You see I stated the cap space, right?  And that would be "worst case" scenario.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2014, 02:15:19 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Jefferson
Vonleh
Green
Stephenson
Rondo

You see I stated the cap space, right?  And that would be "worst case" scenario.

How is mkg, walker., 1st pick = poo poo plater?

They are both very young players still.

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2014, 02:20:08 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1623
  • What a Pub Should Be

Jefferson
Vonleh
Green
Stephenson
Rondo

How is mkg, walker., 1st pick = poo poo plater?

They are both very young players still.

The "allure of potential", right?

First of all, as someone mentioned, that 1st rounder will most likely be somewhere in the twenties so not as vaunted as expected.

Then, you're still stuck with Wallace's contract.  If there is an opportunity to unload that albatross, it would be in a situation where you could attach into to a Rondo-centric package. 

MKG & Biyombo bring very little to the table offensively and this team is already offensively challenged.  If you make this deal, this team will be solid defensively but pretty deficient on the offensive end.  Ugly basketball and you won't be winning many games. 

Lastly,  I already mentioned I'm not enamored with a Walker/Smart backcourt.  If you're blowing it up, I'd rather see how Smart/Bradley does and play with the extra cap room in the worst case scenario of Rondo walking and Green opting out. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2014, 02:23:23 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Yeah, I don't see the point of drafting Smart, trading Rondo, and then just burying Smart behind Walker.  If you're going to trade Rondo, you might as well turn the keys over to the point guard you just drafted sixth overall to see what he's got.  The Celtics clearly saw something in Smart if they were willing to draft him at such a high position.

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2014, 02:27:28 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Who said it has to be a walker, smart backcourt. The best players gets to start.

Also you said we will be good defensively. Well then u can try to find offense somewhere else. Worse case u lose two key vets but add more assets. Instead of losing them for nothing and still having wallace anyways.

You cant always get that perfect return/trade

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2014, 03:42:45 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
You can find suitable trades for Rondo that are logical.  I don't think a trade that returns another young, starting caliber point guard (who will also be a RFA at the end of the season, by the way) when the Celtics just drafted a point guard makes much sense, though.

It's not exactly a disaster if the Celtics don't end up trading Rondo or Green and they both leave at the end of the season, anyway.  The Celtics have MORE than enough assets to work around that.  Not trading Millsap or Jefferson hasn't exactly ruined the Jazz; in fact, they immediately turned the cap space they freed up by letting those guys walk into a bunch of unprotected draft picks and expiring contracts.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 03:50:18 PM by Endless Paradise »

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2014, 03:43:31 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think Rondo will be moved for C or a wing scorer/shooter.   I think AB being resigned means he is our SG for years to come.  Smart may be the PG.

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2014, 03:58:59 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
You can find suitable trades for Rondo that are logical.  I don't think a trade that returns another young, starting caliber point guard (who will also be a RFA at the end of the season, by the way) when the Celtics just drafted a point guard makes much sense, though.

It's not exactly a disaster if the Celtics don't end up trading Rondo or Green and they both leave at the end of the season, anyway.  The Celtics have MORE than enough assets to work around that.  Not trading Millsap or Jefferson hasn't exactly ruined the Jazz; in fact, they immediately turned the cap space they freed up by letting those guys walk into a bunch of unprotected draft picks and expiring contracts.
exactly.  as much as I'd like to get something really good if we HAVE to deal Rondo and/or Green, we don't HAVE to trade them at all.  if somehow they both leave at the end of the season and the C's don't work out a trade for them, the C's will have CAP space to use for trades or FA signings.  not trading them is not the end of the world.  as you mentioned, Utah started making use of that room already and have some good young players already to show for it.

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2014, 03:59:56 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2974
I want Wallace attached to Rondos ankle when. Rondo is traded.

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2014, 04:11:07 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1557
If not Sacramento, I think New York probably is the team that would want Rondo that could and would offer some decent prospects.

Stoudemire, Shumpert, Larkin, Hardaway

for

Rondo, Bass, Wallace
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2014, 04:13:59 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
If not Sacramento, I think New York probably is the team that would want Rondo that could and would offer some decent prospects.

Stoudemire, Shumpert, Larkin, Hardaway

for

Rondo, Bass, Wallace

Don't see New York doing that when:
a) they'll have the cap space to sign Rondo in the offseason (unless he holds out for the absolute max, in which case, good luck getting that).
b) they'd have to take on Wallace's contract.
c) they're giving up three valuable assets in players for a guy they can try to sign in the offseason.

Only way I could see them doing that is if they were absolutely set on Rondo as their point guard and were willing to offer him the max... which I don't think is going to happen.  I'm also not entirely sure how well Rondo would fit in the triangle, though, so... I just don't see it.  Not for that package and if they decide to make a run at Rondo, they can just wait for next offseason when he'll be a free agent.

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2014, 04:14:52 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1491

Jefferson
Vonleh
Green
Stephenson
Rondo

I agree this 100%.  Not enough coming back to the C's.  Why would we want those players?  Hornets do this in a heartbeat.  C's don't even respond.

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2014, 04:16:38 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1491

exactly.  as much as I'd like to get something really good if we HAVE to deal Rondo and/or Green, we don't HAVE to trade them at all.  if somehow they both leave at the end of the season and the C's don't work out a trade for them, the C's will have CAP space to use for trades or FA signings.  not trading them is not the end of the world.  as you mentioned, Utah started making use of that room already and have some good young players already to show for it.

This is exactly what I said in another thread.  If the net on the trade is just more mediocre / average players that we are somehow going to have to deal later, why wouldn't we prefer the cap space and roll the dice.