Author Topic: 2015 Redsox starting lineup prediction  (Read 88292 times)

Re: 2015 Redsox starting lineup prediction
« Reply #120 on: November 25, 2014, 09:58:38 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdl-dn8FpWQ

This is not a clip where he drives a run in. But this is the type of contact he made to drive in runs for the team.   Not try to power the ball out every chance he got.

« Reply #121 on: November 25, 2014, 10:02:16 PM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
I still dont think cespedes is going anywhere.  Why would cherington get him just to flip him in the offseason.
Because he was getting something for nothing, obviously. And he still would be, even if he turns around trades Cespedes.

You really think cespedes was the best or non headache (have to trade in the offseaso )asset cherington could of got for lester.  There was several teams lining up for lester prob willing to give us a better joe kelly and craig in return.

Cespedes is like a manny ramirez type hitter. 

We will see what happens

You lose all credible to me when you say Cespedes is a Manny Ramirez type of hitter???? 

Please go to baseball reference and look at Manny's numbers...this is his career slash line: 312/411/585/996

Did i say he is exactly like him? Can you compare stats. Of course you cant.  Cespedes came into MLB late

What i was talking about was their comparable skill as hitters. Even their body size, strength and ability to come through in clutch are similar

Why can't you compare stats?  Oh yeah, that's right because Manny blows Cespedes out of the water.

Keep digging yourself in that hole.  You said that "Cespedes is like a Manny Ramirez type hitter".

He's not.  And its not even that close.  Let's take a look at both at age 28 for example;

Cespedes: 22 HR 100 RBI .260 AVG .301 OBP .450 SLG

Ramirez:   38 HR 122 RBI .351 AVG .457 OBP .697 SLG

C'mon now....  ::)

You don't want to use stats, fine.  I'm willing to bet that the "eyeball test" of nearly everyone who has seen both play wouldn't place them remotely in the same conversation.   You're somehow seeing something that isn't there.  "Body size" and "strength" don't mean squat if you can't play the game (see Wily Mo Pena).  Clutch?  That's relatively subjective, I'll admit that, but I wouldn't put Cespedes in the same "clutch" category as Manny until he wins something like a World Series MVP.

Cespedes may go on and have some solid seasons ahead of him.  But I highly doubt he'll ever get close to prime Manny Ramirez.  Feel free to take me to task if he does, though.

What kind of lineup did Manny have to work to get those stats?  What kind of lineup has cespedes had to work with so far ?

I bet Cespedes would jack up 30 plus homers and 100 plus RBI's if he is not traded and stays with the Redsox.

I'm not discounting what kind of player Ramirez was. I'm not saying Cespedes is or will be as good. But they have similar skills as hitters.   In terms of defensive capabilities, Cespedes has the edge. 

Having Ortiz and Cespedes batting 4th is close to how it was before with Ortiz and Ramirez batting 4th.  Pitchers will dread having to face these two 4-5 times in a game.

What does it matter what line-up Manny hit in? You could grab 8 guys off this board and have them hit in the same line up with Manny and he would still hit .330 with 35...

Cespedes has one skill he can hit homers, he doesn't get on base, he is below average in the field and his arm is erratic...

Your comparison is laughable....

How many runs did he drive in last year?   

Has he hit more than 30 home runs in any of years he has played so far??

How many Redsox games did you even watch last season? Bc if you even watched more than 10 cespedes was playing in, you would understand his value in the lineup. You would understand how he helps Ortiz and in late game situations/or other crucial situations when you need an RBI, with man on base he is a difficult out.

You should rewatch some games if you can

Most homers he has hit in a season is 26, knocked in 100 runs this year for the first time. Again he has one skill, every once in awhile he runs into one. Career OPS of .780 is nothing special. He is not even as good as Napoli. I have watched plenty of games and Cespedes is pretty average in my eyes....

« Reply #122 on: November 25, 2014, 10:09:36 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSQLhgJ16kU

Here is a nice hit for a RBI.   Again not trying to do too much. 

He is a tough out with man on base. 

I hope the redsox keep him. If we somehow stink again, and he is not in the teams long term plan, then fine trade him.

« Reply #123 on: November 25, 2014, 10:27:29 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349

I hope the redsox keep him. If we somehow stink again, and he is not in the teams long term plan, then fine trade him.

I like Cespedes, but what I find funny about your steadfast defense of him is that, in my eyes, he is like the Rajon Rondo of baseball. Think about it, he possesses a rare skill (power/passing) that is hard to find in today's game. He is weaker in other areas that are viewed as important (on base/shooting), but he has flashes of dominance. He plays lazy defense but every once in a while makes a spectacular play. (Underhanded throws from the warning track, anyone?) He helps others (gives Ortiz protection/finds easy baskets for teammates), and he is considered "clutch." This is why I like Cespedes, but this is why you dislike Rondo.

Sorry for putting basketball into a baseball thread, but I genuinely see this as a good cross-sport comparison: two players considered must-see "stars," not "superstars" that have some "don't blink or you'll miss it" moments and are easily over or undervalued. I lean a little on the "overvalue" side for both, but why are your opinions so contrasting?

« Reply #124 on: November 25, 2014, 10:36:25 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

I like Cespedes, but what I find funny about your steadfast defense of him is that, in my eyes, he is like the Rajon Rondo of baseball. Think about it, he possesses a rare skill (power/passing) that is hard to find in today's game. He is weaker in other areas that are viewed as important (on base/shooting), but he has flashes of dominance. He plays lazy defense but every once in a while makes a spectacular play. (Underhanded throws from the warning track, anyone?) He helps others (gives Ortiz protection/finds easy baskets for teammates), and he is considered "clutch." This is why I like Cespedes, but this is why you dislike Rondo.

Sorry for putting basketball into a baseball thread, but I genuinely see this as a good cross-sport comparison: two players considered must-see "stars," not "superstars" that have some "don't blink or you'll miss it" moments and are easily over or undervalued. I lean a little on the "overvalue" side for both, but why are your opinions so contrasting?

I like the Rondo comparison.  TP for that.  I like Cespedes too, but he was gone the moment Ramirez and Panda were signed.  The other two outfielders are Castillo and Betts.  They just signed Castillo for a lot of money and Betts is an exciting rookie.  That means Cespedes is gone.

« Reply #125 on: November 25, 2014, 10:39:31 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

I like Cespedes, but what I find funny about your steadfast defense of him is that, in my eyes, he is like the Rajon Rondo of baseball. Think about it, he possesses a rare skill (power/passing) that is hard to find in today's game. He is weaker in other areas that are viewed as important (on base/shooting), but he has flashes of dominance. He plays lazy defense but every once in a while makes a spectacular play. (Underhanded throws from the warning track, anyone?) He helps others (gives Ortiz protection/finds easy baskets forteammates), and he is considered "clutch." This is why I like Cespedes, but this is why you dislike Rondo.

Rondo is not "clutch" .  Cespedes is.   You are comparing two different players.

A better comparison to Rondo would be a guy that get's his hits but when nobody is on base.  Or produces for the first 5 innings and then goes cold in the last 4.  Cespedes might be cold early or not as dialed in when he is batting with nobody on. But when players are on base or in late game situations, he steps up his game.   Like he can't waste the RBI or tries to single handedly get this team a win.

So far this season, has Rondo done all he can to help the celts win games??   Does he take his game to another level with less than 5 minutes left?    The frustrating part is that we all know he can. We have seen it in the playoffs.  Yet he just walks up with the ball, passes it from the perimeter and becomes a spectator with less than 3 minutes left. 

« Reply #126 on: November 25, 2014, 10:48:21 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
This thread is on the verge of setting baseball discourse back 40 years.

« Reply #127 on: November 25, 2014, 10:54:50 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

I like Cespedes, but what I find funny about your steadfast defense of him is that, in my eyes, he is like the Rajon Rondo of baseball. Think about it, he possesses a rare skill (power/passing) that is hard to find in today's game. He is weaker in other areas that are viewed as important (on base/shooting), but he has flashes of dominance. He plays lazy defense but every once in a while makes a spectacular play. (Underhanded throws from the warning track, anyone?) He helps others (gives Ortiz protection/finds easy baskets forteammates), and he is considered "clutch." This is why I like Cespedes, but this is why you dislike Rondo.

Rondo is not "clutch" .  Cespedes is.   You are comparing two different players.

A better comparison to Rondo would be a guy that get's his hits but when nobody is on base.  Or produces for the first 5 innings and then goes cold in the last 4.  Cespedes might be cold early or not as dialed in when he is batting with nobody on. But when players are on base or in late game situations, he steps up his game.   Like he can't waste the RBI or tries to single handedly get this team a win.

So far this season, has Rondo done all he can to help the celts win games??   Does he take his game to another level with less than 5 minutes left?    The frustrating part is that we all know he can. We have seen it in the playoffs.  Yet he just walks up with the ball, passes it from the perimeter and becomes a spectator with less than 3 minutes left.

Cespedes was only on the team for two months, you sure fell in love with him fast.  :)

He is being replaced by a much better hitter in Hanley Ramirez.  By signing Ramirez, it gives the Red Sox a valuable trade chip (Cespedes) to trade for a front of the rotation starter which will save them one or two high end prospects.  It's actually creative planning by Cherrington.

« Reply #128 on: December 09, 2014, 09:45:30 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
News on twitter is that its down to Sox and Cubs for Lester, he pulled the plug on the giants.

Theo vs Ben
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #129 on: December 10, 2014, 09:18:04 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
News on twitter is that its down to Sox and Cubs for Lester, he pulled the plug on the giants.

Theo vs Ben
Lester signed with Cubs.

« Reply #130 on: December 10, 2014, 09:27:08 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Theo vs Ben
Lester signed with Cubs.

Start the bidding war for Hamels.  Apparently Dodgers interested as well.

« Reply #131 on: December 10, 2014, 09:34:46 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
My prediction

They trade for Hamels and Rick Porcello of the Tigers (by dealing Cespedes) and sign Masterson to be their no 3 (talks that they already made him an offer.)

Buchholz gets pushed down to number 4 or possibly 5

-Hamels
-Porcello
-Masterson
-Kelly
-Buchholz

Next year they possibly go all in on David Price or one of the other top starters (Cueto, Samardijza, etc.)

« Reply #132 on: December 10, 2014, 09:48:45 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
If the Sox weren't gonna get Lester (which I sorta anticipated after the Sox lowballed him last offseason) then I'm glad he ended up with the Cubs.  That team needs a front line SP.  I know I'll be rooting for him to do well.  One of my fav Sox ever. 

When does the Globe hatchet job of Lester come out?  Tomorrow?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #133 on: December 10, 2014, 09:59:18 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
When does the Globe hatchet job of Lester come out?  Tomorrow?
Probably tonight on the web.

Given they offered him $70 million extension they didn't seem to want him unless he was on a massive bargain for starting pitchers. I mean their offer was competitive in FA, but man I'm shocked they let him go.

« Reply #134 on: December 10, 2014, 10:04:21 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Cant believe Lester didnt sign with us. What a guy