Author Topic: 2015 Redsox starting lineup prediction  (Read 88378 times)

Re: 2015 Redsox starting lineup prediction
« Reply #105 on: November 25, 2014, 04:30:12 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Now, if we could find someone to bite on Buccholz... I'm so tired of his act.

I'd imagine everyone here understands your frustration, but I think it would make more sense to keep him for this year. He's only guaranteed for this year (12 mil) and then they can buy him out for 245 k, or bring him back in '16 for 13 million. They can just cut him loose in the middle of next season if he's lousy.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/al-east/boston-red-sox/

Cots doesn't have Hanley's deal on there yet but they're up to date with Sandoval already..

And on Buchholz, this is just baseless speculation, but would anyone be surprised if he was on hard drugs, or drinking so heavy that he's stopped eating? He just looks very unhealthy.

« Reply #106 on: November 25, 2014, 05:26:51 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
With Papi near the end of his career, Sox need to get/keep any power bats they can. Which is why I don't see them anxious to move Cespedes, especially in light of Stanton no longer attainable.

They don't have anywhere to put him next season and then he's a free agent.   I think they gave Hanley $22 million per because Stanton is no longer attainable and he was the best hitter available. He's a better hitter than Cespedes.  Their offense will be very good next year.
2 Vazquez
3 Napoli
4 Pedroia
5 Panda
6 Boagarts
7 H Ram
8 Castillo
9 Betts
DH Ortiz

They could have a better than average hitter at every position except catcher.  But they also have Swihart on the way who could be a very good hitting catcher.

« Reply #107 on: November 25, 2014, 06:01:02 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I still dont think cespedes is going anywhere.  Why would cherington get him just to flip him in the offseason.
Because he was getting something for nothing, obviously. And he still would be, even if he turns around trades Cespedes.

You really think cespedes was the best or non headache (have to trade in the offseaso )asset cherington could of got for lester.  There was several teams lining up for lester prob willing to give us a better joe kelly and craig in return.

Cespedes is like a manny ramirez type hitter. 

We will see what happens

You lose all credible to me when you say Cespedes is a Manny Ramirez type of hitter???? 

Please go to baseball reference and look at Manny's numbers...this is his career slash line: 312/411/585/996

Did i say he is exactly like him? Can you compare stats. Of course you cant.  Cespedes came into MLB late

What i was talking about was their comparable skill as hitters. Even their body size, strength and ability to come through in clutch are similar

« Reply #108 on: November 25, 2014, 06:18:39 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Did i say he is exactly like him? Can you compare stats. Of course you cant.  Cespedes came into MLB late

What i was talking about was their comparable skill as hitters. Even their body size, strength and ability to come through in clutch are similar
Yeah, the difference in their "comparable skill" is the same as the difference between Jeff Green and LeBron James -- one does some things well, the other is an all-time great. But they do have similar body size and strength...
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #109 on: November 25, 2014, 06:21:04 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
I still dont think cespedes is going anywhere.  Why would cherington get him just to flip him in the offseason.
Because he was getting something for nothing, obviously. And he still would be, even if he turns around trades Cespedes.

You really think cespedes was the best or non headache (have to trade in the offseaso )asset cherington could of got for lester.  There was several teams lining up for lester prob willing to give us a better joe kelly and craig in return.

We will see what happens

You lose all credible to me when you say Cespedes is a Manny Ramirez type of hitter???? 

Please go to baseball reference and look at Manny's numbers...this is his career slash line: 312/411/585/996

Why can't you compare stats?  Oh yeah, that's right because Manny blows Cespedes out of the water.

Keep digging yourself in that hole.  You said that "Cespedes is like a Manny Ramirez type hitter".

He's not.  And its not even that close.  Let's take a look at both at age 28 for example;

Cespedes: 22 HR 100 RBI .260 AVG .301 OBP .450 SLG

Ramirez:   38 HR 122 RBI .351 AVG .457 OBP .697 SLG

C'mon now....  ::)

You don't want to use stats, fine.  I'm willing to bet that the "eyeball test" of nearly everyone who has seen both play wouldn't place them remotely in the same conversation.   You're somehow seeing something that isn't there.  "Body size" and "strength" don't mean squat if you can't play the game (see Wily Mo Pena).  Clutch?  That's relatively subjective, I'll admit that, but I wouldn't put Cespedes in the same "clutch" category as Manny until he wins something like a World Series MVP.

Cespedes may go on and have some solid seasons ahead of him.  But I highly doubt he'll ever get close to prime Manny Ramirez.  Feel free to take me to task if he does, though.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #110 on: November 25, 2014, 06:48:36 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Keep digging yourself in that hole.  You said that "Cespedes is like a Manny Ramirez type hitter".

He's not.  And its not even that close.  Let's take a look at both at age 28 for example;

Even if you are going to lend credence to the claim that "Cespedes came to the MLB late"... in his third year in the league, Manny had 31 HRs and an OPS+ of 147 (for those who don't understand OPS+, this means that his OPS was roughly 50% higher than the league average). Cespedes, of course, has a career OPS+ of 110 so far, while the 147 was a below-average year for Manny.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #111 on: November 25, 2014, 07:03:16 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas

Even if you are going to lend credence to the claim that "Cespedes came to the MLB late"... in his third year in the league, Manny had 31 HRs and an OPS+ of 147 (for those who don't understand OPS+, this means that his OPS was roughly 50% higher than the league average). Cespedes, of course, has a career OPS+ of 110 so far, while the 147 was a below-average year for Manny.

Their approach at the plate couldn't be any more different.  Cespedes is a free swinger and Manny was a master at working the pitcher and waiting for the right pitch to hit.

« Reply #112 on: November 25, 2014, 07:15:41 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Cespedes is more like Rob Deer than Manny.

Fun fact: Cespedes OBP last year was only 5 points higher than Bogaerts, despite Xander's epic June through August meltdown.

« Reply #113 on: November 25, 2014, 07:49:48 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Cherrington is all over the media today saying how Cespedes is open to playing CF/RF, but I just don't see it happening. I mean, you'll have to move Craig (or perhaps Napoli, if you think Craig can play 1B for you) and Victorino, AND find two top pitchers in free agency. Just doesn't seem feasible. And then, there is the issue of figuring out what to do with Betts and Holt. You'd think one of them will have to be in the lineup to lead off.

« Reply #114 on: November 25, 2014, 07:59:59 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
Cherrington is all over the media today saying how Cespedes is open to playing CF/RF, but I just don't see it happening. I mean, you'll have to move Craig (or perhaps Napoli, if you think Craig can play 1B for you) and Victorino, AND find two top pitchers in free agency. Just doesn't seem feasible. And then, there is the issue of figuring out what to do with Betts and Holt. You'd think one of them will have to be in the lineup to lead off.

GMs tend to be a bit dishonest this time of year.  Cespedes is gone.
Betts will be in the lineup every day or just about almost every day and I imagine Holt will be riding the bench as a utility infielder.  They can actually play Craig in AAA and hope he finds his stroke as he still has an option left.

« Reply #115 on: November 25, 2014, 08:22:54 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

We will see what happens

Why can't you compare stats?  Oh yeah, that's right because Manny blows Cespedes out of the water.

You don't want to use stats, fine.  I'm willing to bet that the "eyeball test" of nearly everyone who has seen both play wouldn't place them remotely in the same conversation.   You're somehow seeing something that isn't there.  "Body size" and "strength" don't mean squat if you can't play the game (see Wily Mo Pena).  Clutch?  That's relatively subjective, I'll admit that, but I wouldn't put Cespedes in the same "clutch" category as Manny until he wins something like a World Series MVP.

Cespedes may go on and have some solid seasons ahead of him.  But I highly doubt he'll ever get close to prime Manny Ramirez.  Feel free to take me to task if he does, though.

What kind of lineup did Manny have to work to get those stats?  What kind of lineup has cespedes had to work with so far ?

I bet Cespedes would jack up 30 plus homers and 100 plus RBI's if he is not traded and stays with the Redsox.

I'm not discounting what kind of player Ramirez was. I'm not saying Cespedes is or will be as good. But they have similar skills as hitters.   In terms of defensive capabilities, Cespedes has the edge. 

Having Ortiz and Cespedes batting 4th is close to how it was before with Ortiz and Ramirez batting 4th.  Pitchers will dread having to face these two 4-5 times in a game. 

« Reply #116 on: November 25, 2014, 08:28:46 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Yeah, the difference in their "comparable skill" is the same as the difference between Jeff Green and LeBron James -- one does some things well, the other is an all-time great. But they do have similar body size and strength...

seriously?? lol

Lebron is 15-20 pounds heavier than green.  Lebron is a much better ball handler, passer, clutch player

Cespedes BA, or even best year stat can't hang with Ramirez. But again what kind of lineup has he worked with so far?    When the RBI situation presents itself, alot of times Cespedes will cash in the runs, like Ramirez did in the past.   Late in the game and you need a run? Well Cespedes will get you that hit you need or hit a home run.  Pitchers also have to waste their time pitching more pitches to Cespedes. Especially in crucial situation. Manny was like this.    A fly ball hit by most guys are caught deep in the outfield.  Cespedes can power some routine fly balls out instead. Again Manny was capable of doing this.   All the important qualities of a good power hitter Cespedes has , Manny had.

All the important qualities of a very good basketball player Lebron has, Jeff Green doesn't. 

« Reply #117 on: November 25, 2014, 09:00:26 PM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48

We will see what happens

What kind of lineup did Manny have to work to get those stats?  What kind of lineup has cespedes had to work with so far ?

I bet Cespedes would jack up 30 plus homers and 100 plus RBI's if he is not traded and stays with the Redsox.

I'm not discounting what kind of player Ramirez was. I'm not saying Cespedes is or will be as good. But they have similar skills as hitters.   In terms of defensive capabilities, Cespedes has the edge. 

Having Ortiz and Cespedes batting 4th is close to how it was before with Ortiz and Ramirez batting 4th.  Pitchers will dread having to face these two 4-5 times in a game.

What does it matter what line-up Manny hit in? You could grab 8 guys off this board and have them hit in the same line up with Manny and he would still hit .330 with 35...

Cespedes has one skill he can hit homers, he doesn't get on base, he is below average in the field and his arm is erratic...

Your comparison is laughable....

« Reply #118 on: November 25, 2014, 09:12:24 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas

We will see what happens

What does it matter what line-up Manny hit in? You could grab 8 guys off this board and have them hit in the same line up with Manny and he would still hit .330 with 35...

Cespedes has one skill he can hit homers, he doesn't get on base, he is below average in the field and his arm is erratic...

No kidding.  The two are about the same height and weight, bat right handed, play left field, and are Latino.  That's about where the similarities end.

« Reply #119 on: November 25, 2014, 09:52:52 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

We will see what happens

How many runs did he drive in last year?   

Has he hit more than 30 home runs in any of years he has played so far??

How many Redsox games did you even watch last season? Bc if you even watched more than 10 cespedes was playing in, you would understand his value in the lineup. You would understand how he helps Ortiz and in late game situations/or other crucial situations when you need an RBI, with man on base he is a difficult out.

You should rewatch some games if you can