Author Topic: 2015 Redsox starting lineup prediction  (Read 87941 times)

Re: 2015 Redsox starting lineup prediction
« Reply #90 on: November 25, 2014, 02:13:42 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Regardless of anyone's opinion of Cespedes, he's likely gone, particularly considering he's been rumored to a be a bit difficult with coaches and doesn't even want to be in Boston.

Bogaerts is considered by many an elite talent who is still quite young and has plenty of time to improve, especially given all the big hitters he'll have around him now.

I was initially surprised by the Hanley deal, because I hadn't even heard it rumored, and I also know from living near L.A. that his defense is terrible and Dodgers fans are always complaining about it, but he certainly can hit, and there should be a lot of good defensive players in his general area of the field (Betts, Sandoval, Bogaerts), so I'm willing to give it a chance.

An athletic SS, even one that's below average defensively, shouldn't have too much difficulty moving to left field.  I'm not worried about that at all.  Hopefully, the move will help keep him healthy.

« Reply #91 on: November 25, 2014, 02:27:05 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Regardless of anyone's opinion of Cespedes, he's likely gone, particularly considering he's been rumored to a be a bit difficult with coaches and doesn't even want to be in Boston.

Bogaerts is considered by many an elite talent who is still quite young and has plenty of time to improve, especially given all the big hitters he'll have around him now.

I was initially surprised by the Hanley deal, because I hadn't even heard it rumored, and I also know from living near L.A. that his defense is terrible and Dodgers fans are always complaining about it, but he certainly can hit, and there should be a lot of good defensive players in his general area of the field (Betts, Sandoval, Bogaerts), so I'm willing to give it a chance.

An athletic SS, even one that's below average defensively, shouldn't have too much difficulty moving to left field.  I'm not worried about that at all.  Hopefully, the move will help keep him healthy.

Good point about the health.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #92 on: November 25, 2014, 02:44:26 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

I still dont think cespedes is going anywhere.  Why would cherington get him just to flip him in the offseason. 

« Reply #93 on: November 25, 2014, 03:05:53 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I still dont think cespedes is going anywhere.  Why would cherington get him just to flip him in the offseason.
Because he was getting something for nothing, obviously. And he still would be, even if he turns around trades Cespedes.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #94 on: November 25, 2014, 03:10:25 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Because he was getting something for nothing, obviously. And he still would be, even if he turns around trades Cespedes.

Bingo.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #95 on: November 25, 2014, 03:15:36 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

You really think cespedes was the best or non headache (have to trade in the offseaso )asset cherington could of got for lester.  There was several teams lining up for lester prob willing to give us a better joe kelly and craig in return.

Cespedes is like a manny ramirez type hitter. 

We will see what happens

« Reply #96 on: November 25, 2014, 03:18:31 PM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48

You really think cespedes was the best or non headache (have to trade in the offseaso )asset cherington could of got for lester.  There was several teams lining up for lester prob willing to give us a better joe kelly and craig in return.

We will see what happens

You lose all credible to me when you say Cespedes is a Manny Ramirez type of hitter???? 

Please go to baseball reference and look at Manny's numbers...this is his career slash line: 312/411/585/996

« Reply #97 on: November 25, 2014, 03:21:48 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas

We will see what happens

They had expectations of him playing in right field and he refused which the brass was not happy about that.  He's fast and has a strong arm, but he didn't handle the left field wall very well. 
Now they had an opportunity to get a better hitter to play left and can use Cespedes to acquire pitching.  It all makes sense.

And Cespedes is not even in the same stratosphere as Manny.

« Reply #98 on: November 25, 2014, 03:23:32 PM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton

Cespedes will be gone by the Winter Meetings!  There is no place for him on this team.  Ramirez hits better, both for power and OBP and probably plays a better LF. 

Cespedes has value to a team that is looking for RH power, so you send him + a prospect to get a 2 or 3 starter...He will be in Seattle or Cincy...

what is your fascination with Cespedes? because he won a homer run derby???  his OBP is below .300 that is awful....

« Reply #99 on: November 25, 2014, 03:24:30 PM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton

We will see what happens

They had expectations of him playing in right field and he refused which the brass was not happy about that.  He's fast and has a strong arm, but he didn't handle the left field wall very well. 
Now they had an opportunity to get a better hitter to play left and can use Cespedes to acquire pitching.  It all makes sense.

And Cespedes is not even in the same stratosphere as Manny.

Agree with everything here....

« Reply #100 on: November 25, 2014, 03:26:41 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

We will see what happens

Uh, no he's not.   And he will never be.   He's already 29 also. 

Also, it wasn't a straight up Lester for Cespedes trade.  Sox also got a draft pick in the trade while Oakland got Gomes & cash.  The Joe Kelly/Allan Craig deal was a totally separate deal and not even with Oakland.  Something else to consider too is that Lester was a free agent after the season so rather than letting him walk for nothing, they got a draft pick, cleared up a bit of a logjam they had last year by parting with Gomes, and STILL might resign Lester this off-season.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #101 on: November 25, 2014, 03:27:03 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

We will see what happens
I'm not sure I'm following what your point is.

Cherrington took the best deal that was available to him last season. Cespedes played ok, but he didn't look like a player who's worth mortgaging the house for (the fact that he has no position to play in Fenway didn't help his case). Thus, Panda and Hanley happened. And Cespedes will be gone for whatever Cherington can get for him -- and however much or little it is, it would be found money.

Oh, and by the way, don't insult Manny. His career BA is higher than Cespedes' OBP from the last two seasons.

edit: I'm seeing some chatter today about the Mariners asking about Cespedes, and the Red Sox being interested in Iwakuma. This may work for both sides. Now, if we could find someone to bite on Buccholz... I'm so tired of his act.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 03:39:03 PM by kozlodoev »
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #102 on: November 25, 2014, 03:37:30 PM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton

We will see what happens

Cherrington took the best deal that was available to him last season. Cespedes played ok, but he didn't look like a player who's worth mortgaging the house for (the fact that he has no position to play in Fenway didn't help his case). Thus, Panda and Hanley happened. And Cespedes will be gone for whatever Cherington can get for him -- and however much or little it is, it would be found money.

Oh, and by the way, don't insult Manny. His career BA is higher than Cespedes' OBP from the last two seasons.

edit: I'm seeing some chatter today about the Mariners asking about Cespedes, and the Red Sox being interested in Iwakuma. This may work for both sides.

Read the same thing, it almost makes too much sense.  They need a bat behind Cano and have a ton of young pitchers ready to jump in, both guys are FA's after this year...

« Reply #103 on: November 25, 2014, 04:16:14 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas

We will see what happens

edit: I'm seeing some chatter today about the Mariners asking about Cespedes, and the Red Sox being interested in Iwakuma. This may work for both sides.

Read the same thing, it almost makes too much sense.  They need a bat behind Cano and have a ton of young pitchers ready to jump in, both guys are FA's after this year...

Iwakuma makes a ton of sense.  He's similar in value to Cespedes, maybe a little better, he's a free agent after the season and I think arb eligible, so we'll have too add more value.  Throw in someone like Webster or Barnes to go along with Cespedes and you have a fair deal. 

« Reply #104 on: November 25, 2014, 04:24:47 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
With Papi near the end of his career, Sox need to get/keep any power bats they can. Which is why I don't see them anxious to move Cespedes, especially in light of Stanton no longer attainable.