Author Topic: 2015 Redsox starting lineup prediction  (Read 88264 times)

Re: 2015 Redsox starting lineup prediction
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2014, 10:20:32 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Sandoval camp insists that no deal is final yet. It also makes zero sense to drop major bucks for Hanley to play LF when you already have Betts, Castillo, Victorino, Nava, Craig, Bradley, and Cespedes all under contract for next season. I understand that this groups contains a pretty toxic combination of injury-prone guys and guys who expire next year, but Hanley is not a model of reliability either.

You pretty much have to trade Cespedes and Bradley Jr / Bogaerts for this to work, and I doubt any of them will fetch a #1 starter. Using the Sandoval slot to sign Lester just makes a lot more sense; I really have no idea what the Sox are trying to do here.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2014, 10:27:48 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Sandoval camp insists that no deal is final yet. It also makes zero sense to drop major bucks for Hanley to play LF when you already have Betts, Castillo, Victorino, Nava, Craig, Bradley, and Cespedes all under contract for next season. I understand that this groups contains a pretty toxic combination of injury-prone guys and guys who expire next year, but Hanley is not a model of reliability either.

You pretty much have to trade Cespedes and Bradley Jr / Bogaerts for this to work, and I doubt any of them will fetch a #1 starter. Using the Sandoval slot to sign Lester just makes a lot more sense; I really have no idea what the Sox are trying to do here.

The guy that broke the Stanton contract and Hanley contract says it's done.  So I am guessing it's a done deal.  I like it, Hanley is a world class Athlete and I am sure he can handle playing LF at Fenway. 

They will NOT trade Xander, there is no way he will get dealt unless it's someone like Chris Sale and he is not getting moved anyways.  Cespedes is a goner, no doubt.  He just signed with a new agent ( Jay-Z ) and he wants Hanley money, and to it put it bluntly, he can't carry Hanly's jock. 

Jackie Bradley? Who cares if he is traded? he was the worst offensive player in baseball last year?  He will be in triple A next season, he is a 4th outfielder at best...

Sox opening day line-up next year will be -

Bett RF
Dusty 2B
Ortiz DH
Ramirez LF
Panda 3B
Napoli 1B
Xander SS
Castillo CF
Vazquez C

Need to fill in the rotation but that is a dynamic offense and will win a ton of regular season games...

« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2014, 10:37:32 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

The guy that broke the Stanton contract and Hanley contract says it's done.  So I am guessing it's a done deal.  I like it, Hanley is a world class Athlete and I am sure he can handle playing LF at Fenway. 

They will NOT trade Xander, there is no way he will get dealt unless it's someone like Chris Sale and he is not getting moved anyways.  Cespedes is a goner, no doubt.  He just signed with a new agent ( Jay-Z ) and he wants Hanley money, and to it put it bluntly, he can't carry Hanly's jock. 

Jackie Bradley? Who cares if he is traded? he was the worst offensive player in baseball last year?  He will be in triple A next season, he is a 4th outfielder at best...

Bett RF
Dusty 2B
Ortiz DH
Ramirez LF
Panda 3B
Napoli 1B
Xander SS
Castillo CF
Vazquez C

Need to fill in the rotation but that is a dynamic offense and will win a ton of regular season games...
I'm sure Hanley CAN play LF, the question is that you're dropping major money on a player who (1) is 30+, (2) has played less than 100 games in 2 of the last 4 seasons, (3) has batted 100+ runs once in his career, (4) was let go (from the Red Sox no less) partly because of character concerns, (5) will have to play a position he's never played in the MLB.

Even if you're going to trade Cespedes, are you really better with Sandoval at 3rd and Hanley in LF than you are with Hanley at 3rd, Lester, and a combination of Victorino/Betts/Nava/Craig in the corners? I just don't buy that.

As for Bradley, he might as well be gone. However, Bogaerts was just as awful offensively, and Bradley, unlike Bogaerts, was a GG finalist...
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2014, 10:48:18 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton

Bett RF
Dusty 2B
Ortiz DH
Ramirez LF
Panda 3B
Napoli 1B
Xander SS
Castillo CF
Vazquez C

I'm sure Hanley CAN play LF, the question is that you're dropping major money on a player who (1) is 30+, (2) has played less than 100 games in 2 of the last 4 seasons, (3) has batted 100+ runs once in his career, (4) was let go (from the Red Sox no less) partly because of character concerns, (5) will have to play a position he's never played in the MLB.

Even if you're going to trade Cespedes, are you really better with Sandoval at 3rd and Hanley in LF than you are with Hanley at 3rd, Lester, and a combination of Victorino/Betts/Nava/Craig in the corners? I just don't buy that.

As for Bradley, he might as well be gone. However, Bogaerts was just as awful offensively, and Bradley, unlike Bogaerts, was a GG finalist...

I see your points and get your concerns but Hanley is an elite offense talent "when healthy".  Ortiz is his mentor, that has to be a major factor here, as long as Ortiz is here, Hanley will behave.  Also, Cherington, Hazen and Allan Baird signed and developed Ramirez, they know what they are getting themselves into. 

Not concerned about Xander, he is an All-Star waiting to happen, I know he stunk on offense last year but he still managed 13 homers and 30 doubles?  He is almost four years younger than Jackie too?? 

Call me crazy but I still think the Sox get Lester.  Read Peter Gammons this morning and he said he has two sources saying it's close but Lester wants to visit a few other places...

« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2014, 11:02:42 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I hate the Red Sox for stealing Pablo Sandoval...

I hate you... You stole our Panda.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2014, 11:24:59 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

Lose one Panda, and gain another. I give you your new Panda bear

Mr Mike Bocchetti.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCfiUva-txc

« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2014, 11:41:08 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Lose one Panda, and gain another. I give you your new Panda bear

Mr Mike Bocchetti.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCfiUva-txc

Ha ha.

On a serious not though, you guys are going to love him. Panda is not going to put great regular season numbers, but come Post Season he's going to be a blast.

Great defense on third too.

This sucks. As a Giants supporter, we all agree that they could match that big offer, they just dont want too. I mean, they gave Hunter Pence a big contract, why not Pablo, who's clearly a big weapon in the Playoffs.

Thanks for everything Panda, you will always be a Giant.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2014, 11:50:20 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Bett RF
Dusty 2B
Ortiz DH
Cespedes LF
Panda 3B
Ramirez SS
Napoli 1B
Castillo CF
Vazquez C

Cespedes is not going to be traded imo.

Starting pitching hopefully

Lester
?
Bucholz
Kelly
De la rosa/Owens

« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2014, 11:56:10 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton

Bett RF
Dusty 2B
Ortiz DH
Cespedes LF
Panda 3B
Ramirez SS
Napoli 1B
Castillo CF
Vazquez C

Lester
?
Bucholz
Kelly
De la rosa/Owens

So you have the Sox trading Xander and not Cespedes?  Just curious on your logic there?  Just about every national baseball guy has Cespedes gone: ( Gammons, Olny etc...)

Hanley can't physically play SS anymore, he will be playing LF...they didn't give him 90 million to kick balls around the infield, he will be asked to play LF and mash at Fenway...

« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2014, 12:00:04 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

Bett RF
Dusty 2B
Ortiz DH
Cespedes LF
Panda 3B
Ramirez SS
Napoli 1B
Castillo CF
Vazquez C

Lester
?
Bucholz
Kelly
De la rosa/Owens

So you have the Sox trading Xander and not Cespedes?  Just curious on your logic there?  Just about every national baseball guy has Cespedes gone: ( Gammons, Olny etc...)

Hanley can't physically play SS anymore, he will be playing LF...they didn't give him 90 million to kick balls around the infield, he will be asked to play LF and mash at Fenway...

Agreed.  That doesn't make much sense.

I hope to heck that the Sox aren't dumb enough to try and plug Hanley at SS on an everyday basis. His defense is pretty atrocious at this point.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2014, 12:07:06 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
I hope to heck that the Sox aren't dumb enough to try and plug Hanley at SS on an everyday basis. His defense is pretty atrocious at this point.
Bogaerts wasn't exactly lighting it up defensively, either. I don't pretend to be any sort of baseball expert, but he appeared way more adequate at third last season (and no, the decline in production was not related to the move from short to third...).

« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2014, 12:16:08 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Just from my conventional outsider's perspective, I'm really surprised they signed BOTH of these guys. I like the Hanley deal, but think Panda is an overpay. Pretty much agree with most everything Twin Tower's has posted, with the exception that outside of Bogaerts, I could see them dealing one of their top prospects. Of course Cespedes is going somewhere else.

In light of these signings, why did we trade for Craig and his remaining two years? He probably has no trade value due to last year, and would seem to be the odd man out.

« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2014, 12:42:19 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Well I'm not very critical about baseball. Strategy for me is hit the darn ball and run hard lol. My lineup is based on pure offense I'd try
Papi DH
Ramirez LF
Panda 3rd
Cespedes RF
Xander SS
Nap 1st
Peddy 2nd
Cast CF
Chris C
I would also try to make sure no one plays over 140 games. We have decent back ups use them and keep guys fresh.

Trading for a pitcher right now isn't ideal for me because most pitchers are streaky. Just sign Lester also one cheap 5-7 million dollar pitcher and call another guy up. Then perhaps at deadline get a guy to put you over the top.

« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2014, 12:51:20 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I never expected them to sign both Panda and Ramirez, but it makes sense since there have been a lot of reports that they are unhappy with Cespedes.  Hanley isn't playing well at SS and should be fine in left field.  There's no doubt Cespedes with be traded for a quality starting pitcher, probably along with a couple of their pitching prospects.  If the Sox can bring back Lester, this offseason will be a huge success.

« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2014, 12:53:07 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Bogaerts wasn't exactly lighting it up defensively, either. I don't pretend to be any sort of baseball expert, but he appeared way more adequate at third last season (and no, the decline in production was not related to the move from short to third...).

his defense was good at ss, not 3b.  they should have never tried that.

here's my shot:
RF-Betts
2B-Pedroia
DH-Ortiz
3B-Panda
LF-HanRam
1B-Napoli
SS-Boagarts
CF-Castillo
C-Vasquez

SP1-Hamels (trade for Cespedas)
SP2-?
SP3-Bucholtz
SP4-Kelly
SP5-Ranaudo

I'm tempted to put DeLarosa, Owens, Doubbront, Workman, etc., in the top five, maybe slide Kelly into the #2 spot.  I don't see the need to get a big arm like others, I think the big arm is on the roster already, just needs to develop and gain experience.  Its kind of like my belief with Sully in that he can be like Klove, just needs time.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."