Author Topic: Wes Welker suspended for amphetamines  (Read 11556 times)

Re: Wes Welker suspended for amphetamines
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2014, 06:08:25 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Molly is not even X or E, it is largely unknown and only 13%of it  contains MDMA.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/22/health/9-things-molly-drug/

Wow!!!

So Molly is even more unknown in it's composition that typically street ecstasy, and likely far more dangerous.   That is astounding. Might as well just snort straight rat poison.

« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2014, 07:00:31 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
If there is anything that drives me crazy it's when people presume definitively that they know what another person thinks and knows. 

Yes, I would not be surprised if Wes Welker knows exactly what Molly is (though I can tell you that I've never heard of the drug before today).  And I would not be surprised if he knows how to get the drug.  And I would not be surprised if he knew full well that he was taking the drug that day.   But he says he doesn't take drugs, he says he doesn't know about this drug and he says he didn't take it at the derby. 

It may be naive of me to think that Wes could be telling the truth, but...   Naive may not be correct most of the time, but naive is correct some of the time.  In other words, if you don't know for sure, you shouldn't act like you know for sure.  As wise and 'in the know' as some people think they are, the truth is often a surprise.

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2014, 07:52:54 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I think MDMA works by essentially flooding your brain's supply of serotonin into your body. Given Welker's brain damage, he actually might not have a lot of serotonin stores and/or his brain may be too damaged to release it right.  It's plausible that he was dosed and the effects were subtle enough that he chocked it up to drinking, even though a regular person would be very aware something was up.

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2014, 08:34:34 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
My dumb Q of the day:  Is drug testing so infrequent in the NFL that players don't worry about it much?  Seems like a lot of players are getting caught / suspended this year though.  Dion Jordan and Rashad Jones from the dolphins, over 25 players have been suspended for PED's since the end of last season.

A lot of recreational drugs leave the system within a few days or less, so they're undetectable unless tested very soon afterward (Welker was tested shortly after the Derby).  People who get drug-tested frequently but like taking drugs tend to learn pretty fast what those are.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 10:53:45 PM by foulweatherfan »

« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2014, 09:01:56 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
This whole ordeal raises a few questions for me.

First, at what point in time did "ecstasy" become known as "molly"? In my day we called it "x" or "e". I guess that just shows I'm getting old. But that probably isn't a bad thing. Long since have passed my days of using that garbage. It's fun, but quite dangerous, and not something to be recommended for use by anyone.

Second, really, the Kentucky Derby is a party on par with a common rave? That is mind boggling. Who knew!?

Third, why the hell did I never go to a Kentucky Derby?   That might have been fun.

Forth, what in tarnation was Wes thinking? For a professional athlete who supposedly prides himself on what he puts in his body to take such a dangerous substance, and one for which the composition can vary greatly and usually is cut with all kinds of other substances (besides pure MDMA), just seems flat out foolish.

Wes, you should consider yourself lucky a 4 game suspension is all that came of this.

You hit it.

My first reaction was also "what's Molly?"  Second reaction "oh, that's what they call it now, I guess I'm old".
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2014, 09:18:41 PM »

Offline staticcc

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
This whole ordeal raises a few questions for me.

First, at what point in time did "ecstasy" become known as "molly"? In my day we called it "x" or "e". I guess that just shows I'm getting old. But that probably isn't a bad thing. Long since have passed my days of using that garbage. It's fun, but quite dangerous, and not something to be recommended for use by anyone.

Second, really, the Kentucky Derby is a party on par with a common rave? That is mind boggling. Who knew!?

Third, why the hell did I never go to a Kentucky Derby?   That might have been fun.

Forth, what in tarnation was Wes thinking? For a professional athlete who supposedly prides himself on what he puts in his body to take such a dangerous substance, and one for which the composition can vary greatly and usually is cut with all kinds of other substances (besides pure MDMA), just seems flat out foolish.

Wes, you should consider yourself lucky a 4 game suspension is all that came of this.

You hit it.

My first reaction was also "what's Molly?"  Second reaction "oh, that's what they call it now, I guess I'm old".

It's all jumbled. In Canada, the term "ecstasy" now is used for describing MDMA mixed with other drugs like meth or speed. It is not pure. They use "molly" for pure (or at least close to pure) MDMA. In Thailand, "ecstasy" is pure while molly is 10% MDMA. In the Netherlands, molly is interchangeable to ecstasy. It's really confusing depending on where you get your drugs so to whoever parties here, make sure you know what term describes which drug.
"The bigger the lie, the more they believe." - Bunk

« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2014, 05:51:00 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
Take Molly: Suspended 4 games
Punch Molly: Suspended 2 games

« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2014, 08:25:22 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Take Molly: Suspended 4 games
Punch Molly: Suspended 2 games

TP.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.