Author Topic: Only Bos/Sac/Det Trade Idea that I can see Danny accepting  (Read 4177 times)

Only Bos/Sac/Det Trade Idea that I can see Danny accepting
« on: September 01, 2014, 05:01:29 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=me6x3hc

Bos Out: Rondo, Wallace, Green, Bass, Conditional Phi Pick (turning into 2 2nds)
Bos In: Stauskas, Gay, Williams, Terry, Unprotected 2017 Sac 1st

Sac Out: Stauskas, Gay, Williams, Terry, Unprotected 2017 Sac 1st, 2016 2nd from Sac (NY)
Sac In: Smith, Rondo, Wallace, Singler

Det Out: Smith, Singler
Det In: Green, Bass, Conditional Phi Pick(2 2nds), 2016 2nd from Sac (NY)

This is the only three way deal between these teams that I can see happening. Sacramento is extremely interested in Rondo, but they virtually HAVE to get his friend Smith in order to have a chance at resigning Rondo. By getting the two best prospects in the deal, they'll have to ship out a first, expiring contracts, and take on Wallace's contract (which isn't too terribly bad in the right system).

Why Boston does it: It just seems inevitable now that  Rondo will be gone by the trade deadline. Smart is primed to take over the pg duties, and it doesn't look like we'll be able to pull off any major trade for a star to appease Rondo before next off-season. This trade would get us a good asset in Stauskas, who could be a perfect complement in the backcourt next to Smart, another first round pick, and a TON of expiring contracts to give us great cap flexibility next off-season. Also, we get out of Wallace's contract, suck again and get a high draft pick this year, open room for Turner to get playing time, and become a major factor in free agency next year. We'll still have logjams at SG and PF, but that would only be a problem for a year when most of their contracts end. This leaves us a depth chart of:
PG: Smart, Pressey
SG: Bradley, Thornton, Young, Terry (buyout)
SF: Gay, Turner
PF: Sully, Olynyk, Williams
C: Zeller, Faverani, Anthony

Why Detroit does it: Detroit does it because they have to get a real SF and stop playing Smith out of position. They get an upgrade at the SF position with Green, though overall Smith is a better player, and they get a nice backup big in Bass that only has a year left on his contract. They get to resign Monroe, and they also get out of Smiths longer term contract. They'll also get some 2nd rounders out of the deal.

Why Sacramento does it: Sacramento is tired of being mediocre, and they're desperately trying to make a big name splash - Rondo and Smith would serve that purpose. It'll take alot to get them, but they're willing to do it to be relevant again. This would put them in the middle of the playoff race out West. I don't think they'd be title contenders, though they might think they will be. A lineup of Rondo, Mcelmore, Wallace, Smith, and Cousins is both exciting and scary, but it'd be much better than what they had last year (or can hope to attract in free agency). They'd then have a depth chart of:
PG: Rondo, Collison
SG: Mcelmore, Maccallum
SF: Wallace, Singler
PF: Smith, Landry
C: Cousins, Thompson

I think the Kings are desperate enough to be relevant again that they'd bite on this deal, even without a reassurance from Rondo and taking on Wallace's deal. In reality, they'd only be giving up on one pretty good prospect and a first rounder, with the rest being a volume scorer, a bust, and a washed up player, for a perennial All-Star, borderline All-Star, and overpayed vet and a backup SF. We'd suck this year and have an unbalanced lineup, but we'd have plenty of playing time for our young guys and get another high pick in another good draft. Also, next off-season we'd only have one guy not on a rookie scale contract, which leaves us major flexibility to go in whatever way we see fit. Last, Detroit should also bite due to getting out of Smith's contract and actually getting a SF to complement Monroe and Drummond.

Who says no?

Re: Only Bos/Sac/Det Trade Idea that I can see Danny accepting
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 05:04:55 PM »

Offline Schiller

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 10
  • Ball Don't Lie!
I like the trade a lot. Very well thought out. TP!

Only problem is that Jason Terry is going to be a Houston Rocket. Link here: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11446305/sacramento-kings-trade-jason-terry-houston-rockets
"I'm cold-blooded!" - Paul Pierce

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 05:10:40 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I can get somewhat get myself on board with a Sac deal, but only if we are getting Stauskas, McLemore, and at least one first and if McLemore and the first get moved to a third team for a center prospect like Noel.

I suppose if we are getting Gay, we could offload him and potentially the first to a team like Det (for Monroe).

I really don't want to trade Rondo without getting back our potential starting center for years to come. A sharpshooter like Stauskas will also prove to be effective in today's NBA.

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 05:16:38 PM »

Offline Skywalker2.0

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 247
I like this deal a lot. The only problem is it leaves Sac with a hole at SG and SF.

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 05:23:36 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

Only problem is that Jason Terry is going to be a Houston Rocket. Link here: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11446305/sacramento-kings-trade-jason-terry-houston-rockets

Crap. I saw that Ellington was gone, but I didn't know about Terry.

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 05:25:40 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
I like this deal a lot. The only problem is it leaves Sac with a hole at SG and SF.

Well, I think if Mcelmore can do better than last year, he can be a full time starting SG in the NBA. Also, while not the best option, Wallace is a serviceable option at SF. He's not much of an offensive threat anymore, but he doesn't necessarily have to be. If he plays solid defense, hustles, and plays team ball, he could work as a stopgap SF until they get something else better.

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 05:30:18 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

Well, Gee is going to Sacramento then, so you might be able to switch him with Terry and it still work. I'm not positive, though, because I don't know how to do that on the trade machine.

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 05:30:42 PM »

Offline Skywalker2.0

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 247
I agree with you on Mclemore but Wallace is a third stringer on the Celtics how could start on a playoff team.

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 06:21:26 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
I agree with you on Mclemore but Wallace is a third stringer on the Celtics how could start on a playoff team.

He was a starting 3 on Brooklyn's playoff team before the trade. Like I said, he's not a great option, but he can still be a starting 3. He plays above average defense, and he'd just be the fifth option on offense.

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 06:41:00 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Here's my Celts/Kings idea.

Keep Rondo throughout the upcoming season.

Hope that next season, Cousins is the new NBA disgruntled star who wants out of his team.

Cash in those "assets" and offer them to Sacramento for Cousins in the summer of 2015, while landing Gay as a free agent and resigning Rondo.

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 07:01:28 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Hope that next season, Cousins is the new NBA disgruntled star who wants out of his team.

Cash in those "assets" and offer them to Sacramento for Cousins in the summer of 2015, while landing Gay as a free agent and resigning Rondo.

Sounds like a plan!

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 07:39:50 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Sounds like a plan!
I don't think the C's can afford to give out 3 max deals as their roster is currently constructed. SAC would have to be willing to accept Wallace and maybe Bass and they might demand Green along with the actually valuable assets such as 1st round picks and good young players like Smart.

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 08:35:01 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Sounds like a plan!
I don't think the C's can afford to give out 3 max deals as their roster is currently constructed. SAC would have to be willing to accept Wallace and maybe Bass and they might demand Green along with the actually valuable assets such as 1st round picks and good young players like Smart.

Then sayonara to Bass, Green, Wallace, Smart, young player a, young player b, etc, etc.

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2014, 08:48:44 PM »

Offline FreddieJ

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 7

Hypothetically I'm assuming the reason Cousins would want out is because he wants more of a chance to win. Doesn't Boston, minus assets, present this to a measurable extent?

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 08:52:10 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Hypothetically I'm assuming the reason Cousins would want out is because he wants more of a chance to win. Doesn't Boston, minus assets, present this to a measurable extent?

That would be the idea.