16 (23.5%)
Rondo did not request a trade, Rondo leaked the rumor
3 (4.4%)
Rondo did not request a trade, Celtics leaked the rumor
9 (13.2%)
Jackie made up the whole thing
31 (45.6%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Author Topic: Poll: Who Believes the Jackie Mac Rumor about Rondo and which side leaked it?  (Read 5680 times)

Re: Poll: Who Believes the Jackie Mac Rumor about Rondo and which side leaked it?
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2014, 06:19:28 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

You also have to consider a few other possibilities, such as neither side leaked it, the source was pretty unreliable. or the (IMO more likely) possibility that she doesn't have a source and was merely expressing her opinion to some colleagues.

Wonder how your opinion on her would change had she said something along the lines of "Rondo loves Boston and plans to retire there. Him re-signing is a formality. His teammates and coaches, both former and current, love him and admire his leadership and maturity".

I'd probably say that was fairly over the top, and that she must not have talked to Ray Allen. I'm probably  a lot less likely to blindly accept anything I hear that supports my position than you are.

Beyond that, though, it's worth pointing out that we've seen plenty of quotes from Rondo about how he's open to staying here and plenty of quotes from his teammates, both former and current, about how they like Rondo and think he's a good leader, while we've seen none where he says he's not considering coming back to the Celts. That's something I'd consider when I was deciding how accurate Jackie's claim was, as opposed to your near fool-proof method of believing whatever rumors you agree with.

Tim, seriously? When have you ever supported a report that portrayed Rondo in a slightly negative light?  Didn't you say "Doc had it coming" when it was reported that Rondo through a water bottle at him?

Somehow you and impartial don't really seem to go hand in hand when it comes to Rondo. You mentioned the two possibilities as "the source was unreliable" and "she doesn't have a source". How about "her source is reliable, but it was told to her in confidence"?

No, I doubt I said "Doc had it coming" when it was reported that Rondo threw a water bottle at him, especially since Rondo threw a bottle at a tv screen. I do recall saying that Rondo throwing a water bottle at a tv screen during a meeting wasn't the high crime that many imagined it was, and that plenty of other star players had probably done much worse. I try to add a little perspective to conversations from time to time, it's generally sorely missing. I'll agree that impartial and your wild exaggerations of my stances don't go hand in hand, although I find that much less exciting than you do.

Re: Poll: Who Believes the Jackie Mac Rumor about Rondo and which side leaked it?
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2014, 06:22:35 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
People seriously think Jackie Mac would just make this whole thing up?  That's weird.

I think, for the poll, having a source that's wrong counts as "making this up".

"Making this up" suggests that JM is the one making a mistake.  If a former teammate is relaying what he heard from Rondo, but something is getting lost in a game of telephone, I wouldn't say she is making this up, since there is some clear substance to the rumor.  For example, let's say she talked with Kendrick Perkins and he said Rondo wanted out, but didn't make it clear that Rondo wanting out is conditional on Ainge not putting the Celtics in a place to contend in the near future.  Depending on how that information was conveyed, it would be understandable if she believed he simply wanted out, without nuance.

Don't blame me, I didn't make the poll. I'd guess lumping in "Jackie was wrong" with "Jackie made things up" was designed to discourage people from choosing that option.

« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2014, 06:55:31 PM »

Offline kiwiceltic

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 16
I think Jackie Mac is just as bored with this offseason as everyone else and is jumping on the "Rondo is gonna be traded" bandwagon just to kill another week till the season kicks off.

In other words.... She has no idea if Rondo will get traded or not!

The FIBA world champs just don't cut the mustard.....This season needs to hurry up and start already!

« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2014, 10:29:18 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
  Don't blame me, I didn't make the poll. I'd guess lumping in "Jackie was wrong" with "Jackie made things up" was designed to discourage people from choosing that option.
I started the poll and you would be giving me far too much credit for forethought if you assumed that I had a devious plan to discourage or encourage one answer or another.

I probably should have called the last choice "Jackie got it wrong" or something like that but I don't get why someone would "guess" that I tried to design the poll to be misleading??

« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2014, 10:34:06 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I'm going with "Jackie was making what she believes to be a well-educated guess."

The closest thing to that in the poll was; "Jackie made it up."  So that's the one I voted for. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2014, 10:50:54 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
I started the poll and you would be giving me far too much credit for forethought if you assumed that I had a devious plan to discourage or encourage one answer or another.

I probably should have called the last choice "Jackie got it wrong" or something like that but I don't get why someone would "guess" that I tried to design the poll to be misleading??

I know you made the poll, I was kidding.