16 (23.5%)
Rondo did not request a trade, Rondo leaked the rumor
3 (4.4%)
Rondo did not request a trade, Celtics leaked the rumor
9 (13.2%)
Jackie made up the whole thing
31 (45.6%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Author Topic: Poll: Who Believes the Jackie Mac Rumor about Rondo and which side leaked it?  (Read 5692 times)

Re: Poll: Who Believes the Jackie Mac Rumor about Rondo and which side leaked it?
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2014, 03:38:36 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

You also have to consider a few other possibilities, such as neither side leaked it, the source was pretty unreliable. or the (IMO more likely) possibility that she doesn't have a source and was merely expressing her opinion to some colleagues.

Wonder how your opinion on her would change had she said something along the lines of "Rondo loves Boston and plans to retire there. Him re-signing is a formality. His teammates and coaches, both former and current, love him and admire his leadership and maturity".

Re: Poll: Who Believes the Jackie Mac Rumor about Rondo and which side leaked it?
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2014, 03:41:58 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
People seriously think Jackie Mac would just make this whole thing up?  That's weird.

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2014, 03:43:43 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
People seriously think Jackie Mac would just make this whole thing up?  That's weird.

What is weird is trusting anything said by someone who works for ESPN.

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2014, 03:49:20 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2014, 03:56:09 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103

To me, too.  I can't even imagine a rationale for doing so.  Besides, this was not a 'report.'  It was a conversation between her and Isola between takes that got captured on film.

It was clear that she absolutely believed what she was saying.  Doesn't mean her source was right, but thinking she just made the whole thing up seems crazy to me.

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2014, 04:06:32 PM »

Offline RRNoLookPass

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 15

Exactly. This is the same Jackie "Mac" that referred to KG as a 36yr-old tooth-pick in an article she wrote before the first-round serious against the Knicks in 2013. I know the Celts lost that series, but what a disrespectful wench she is to trash-talk KG like that in the twilight of his career. And I love how her self-procraimed toothpick went and yanked down over 13rpg in that series. Doesn't sound like a tooth-pick to me.

But anyways, I think the fact that the account she posted that BS video on has already been suspended proves a lot about the integrity of her so-called "inside sources" on Rondo. It's obviously info she concluded inside her own unoriginal mind.

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2014, 04:16:29 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349

To me, too.  I can't even imagine a rationale for doing so.  Besides, this was not a 'report.'  It was a conversation between her and Isola between takes that got captured on film.

It was clear that she absolutely believed what she was saying.  Doesn't mean her source was right, but thinking she just made the whole thing up seems crazy to me.

The fact that it was a casual conversation makes me skeptical. She has yet to publish a report, and if she does I will be proved wrong. However, I think that this was an innocuous conversation where she was stating her personal belief. No one can say truthfully that they have never used hyperbole (i.e. "get it done already") to support their belief in a casual conversation. As many have pointed out, lots of evidence points to Rondo being gone soon, so maybe Jackie took that evidence, formed a reasonable conclusion, and stated it. Now, one cannot say that there are no signs of a possible Rondo trade because there are, but  I think Jackie connected all of the dots and formed a personal opinion without explicit sources (like Wyc telling her "Rondo wants to be traded").

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2014, 04:24:30 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Exactly. This is the same Jackie "Mac" that referred to KG as a 36yr-old tooth-pick in an article she wrote before the first-round serious against the Knicks in 2013. I know the Celts lost that series, but what a disrespectful wench she is to trash-talk KG like that in the twilight of his career. And I love how her self-procraimed toothpick went and yanked down over 13rpg in that series. Doesn't sound like a tooth-pick to me.

But anyways, I think the fact that the account she posted that BS video on has already been suspended proves a lot about the integrity of her so-called "inside sources" on Rondo. It's obviously info she concluded inside her own unoriginal mind.

Wow. Put down the medieval novels for a minute.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2014, 04:37:50 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I can't see her just making this up but I find it a very unlikely demand by Rondo.  I think the likely scenario is that someone in the C's office said something to her along these lines and she just ran with it since she seems to have an anti-Rondo bias.

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2014, 04:44:11 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

You also have to consider a few other possibilities, such as neither side leaked it, the source was pretty unreliable. or the (IMO more likely) possibility that she doesn't have a source and was merely expressing her opinion to some colleagues.

Wonder how your opinion on her would change had she said something along the lines of "Rondo loves Boston and plans to retire there. Him re-signing is a formality. His teammates and coaches, both former and current, love him and admire his leadership and maturity".

I'd probably say that was fairly over the top, and that she must not have talked to Ray Allen. I'm probably  a lot less likely to blindly accept anything I hear that supports my position than you are.

Beyond that, though, it's worth pointing out that we've seen plenty of quotes from Rondo about how he's open to staying here and plenty of quotes from his teammates, both former and current, about how they like Rondo and think he's a good leader, while we've seen none where he says he's not considering coming back to the Celts. That's something I'd consider when I was deciding how accurate Jackie's claim was, as opposed to your near fool-proof method of believing whatever rumors you agree with.

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2014, 05:20:56 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I think, for the poll, having a source that's wrong counts as "making this up".

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2014, 05:31:11 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

I'd probably say that was fairly over the top, and that she must not have talked to Ray Allen. I'm probably  a lot less likely to blindly accept anything I hear that supports my position than you are.

Beyond that, though, it's worth pointing out that we've seen plenty of quotes from Rondo about how he's open to staying here and plenty of quotes from his teammates, both former and current, about how they like Rondo and think he's a good leader, while we've seen none where he says he's not considering coming back to the Celts. That's something I'd consider when I was deciding how accurate Jackie's claim was, as opposed to your near fool-proof method of believing whatever rumors you agree with.

Tim, seriously? When have you ever supported a report that portrayed Rondo in a slightly negative light?  Didn't you say "Doc had it coming" when it was reported that Rondo through a water bottle at him?

Somehow you and impartial don't really seem to go hand in hand when it comes to Rondo. You mentioned the two possibilities as "the source was unreliable" and "she doesn't have a source". How about "her source is reliable, but it was told to her in confidence"?

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2014, 05:49:09 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1623
  • What a Pub Should Be

This is how I see it too.

I think there's something here.  What it is exactly & how substantial it is....I have no idea but I have a tough time thinking that Jackie would just conjure something out of thin air.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2014, 05:57:33 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

I think, for the poll, having a source that's wrong counts as "making this up".

"Making this up" suggests that JM is the one making a mistake.  If a former teammate is relaying what he heard from Rondo, but something is getting lost in a game of telephone, I wouldn't say she is making this up, since there is some clear substance to the rumor.  For example, let's say she talked with Kendrick Perkins and he said Rondo wanted out, but didn't make it clear that Rondo wanting out is conditional on Ainge not putting the Celtics in a place to contend in the near future.  Depending on how that information was conveyed, it would be understandable if she believed he simply wanted out, without nuance.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2014, 05:57:50 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
hahahaha, so she's entirely credible if she's reporting rosy news about the Celtics, but then she's a "disrespectful wench" when she isn't.