16 (23.5%)
Rondo did not request a trade, Rondo leaked the rumor
3 (4.4%)
Rondo did not request a trade, Celtics leaked the rumor
9 (13.2%)
Jackie made up the whole thing
31 (45.6%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Author Topic: Poll: Who Believes the Jackie Mac Rumor about Rondo and which side leaked it?  (Read 5663 times)

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
The rumor of the request could be true or not and usually if something is leaked, there is a reason for it.  The Celtics might leak the rumor so that when they actually do trade Rondo, they can deflect criticism by saying he wanted a trade.  Rondo could be fed up with the unsuccessful rebuilding and leaking this to move things along.

Seems hard to believe that either side would leak a false rumor that would be so easy to refute.

So comments on what is true and why it would be leaked is the idea of this poll.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 10:50:33 AM by Vermont Green »

Offline bostonsportsforlife

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23
Why would the org leak it themselves? Wouldn't that hurt any leverage for a potential trade?

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I don't believe these rumors at all.

Rondo's representatives have come out and denied Rondo asking for a trade
http://bostonherald.com/sports/celtics_nba/boston_celtics/2014/08/rajon_rondo_agent_deny_trade_request

Jackie "Mac" has some explaining to do.

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I am confused, Jackie Mac is usually a credible source, and another side of me want to believe what Rondo and his agent said

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
Why would the org leak it themselves? Wouldn't that hurt any leverage for a potential trade?
You could speculate that they would leak it in advance of an actual trade to that it seemed more like they had to trade him than they wanted to trade him.  That may deflect some criticism.  It could reduce trade leverage some as you suggest but I think so long as there are 2 or more teams interested, the leverage would be offset by the competition between teams that want Rondo.

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

You also have to consider a few other possibilities, such as neither side leaked it, the source was pretty unreliable. or the (IMO more likely) possibility that she doesn't have a source and was merely expressing her opinion to some colleagues.

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

You also have to consider a few other possibilities, such as neither side leaked it, the source was pretty unreliable. or the (IMO more likely) possibility that she doesn't have a source and was merely expressing her opinion to some colleagues.
That would be choice number 5 of the poll.  Jackie made it up or came to a false conclusion.

If there was a sources, that source had to hear it from one side or the other, even if the source was not directly Rondo or the team.  If the source made it up and Jackie believed it, then that would also be choice 5.

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
I don't believe these rumors at all.

Rondo's representatives have come out and denied Rondo asking for a trade
http://bostonherald.com/sports/celtics_nba/boston_celtics/2014/08/rajon_rondo_agent_deny_trade_request

Jackie "Mac" has some explaining to do.
Based on that report, only options 4 or 5 could be true.

I guess that Rondo could still want out but has not requested a trade.  That is probably what Jackie will fall back to.

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I went with Rondo did not request a trade, but leaked the rumor himself...it seems like a Rondo thing to do.

Offline lurkerStrips

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
These reporters have a tendency to make mountains out of molehills. It probably is based on the premise of Rondo bolting if we don't get a star player. No Love or Melo, ergo Rondo is gone.

And they are so "sure" of that.

The whole "inadvertent off-the-air" bit seems staged.  I think they're just stirring things up.

Re: Poll: Who Believes the Jackie Mac Rumor about Rondo and which side leaked it?
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 11:44:32 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

You'd think at some point in time Jackie would have to comment on the situation. I'd be fairly surprised if she stuck with the claim and said it was anything more than her opinion.

Re: Poll: Who Believes the Jackie Mac Rumor about Rondo and which side leaked it?
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2014, 12:04:55 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
My guess is Jackie has a front office source in Celtics. Someone who doesn't believe Rondo can lead a team and does not like Rondo's personality and that person is the one feeding Jackie lots of bad information about Rondo. And this single person does not speak for rest of Celtics organization but is instead pushing own believes on what he/she thinks is right for future of team. Someone who believes they can do better job than Ainge and is frustrated by direction of team which they feel is heading in wrong way.

I also guess that Rondo wants to stay in Boston but wants to know Boston will compete for a Championship in near future. Either wants it in place by signing time or a clear plan in place that can be achieved in near future that will make Boston a title contender again. But if those moves aren't made or are not clear, then Rondo will leave rather than waste prime years. My guess is that something like this has been said to Celtics front office on behalf of Rondo (agent) and that that message has been garbled up into that "trade demand" Jackie is spouting off about.

Opinion from non-decision maker + garbled information = exaggerated trade demand rumour

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2014, 12:47:12 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I don't think she would have said it to professional peers unless she believed the source.  So I believe for one, believe it.  Now who the source, was, and if they are accurate is the question.  She seemed anguished at the C's only able to be 80 cents on the dollar.  She has yet to feel confident in the story to go into print with it, right?

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2014, 01:56:57 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I don't think she would have said it to professional peers unless she believed the source.  So I believe for one, believe it.  Now who the source, was, and if they are accurate is the question.  She seemed anguished at the C's only able to be 80 cents on the dollar.  She has yet to feel confident in the story to go into print with it, right?

That's my guess.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2014, 03:00:33 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I've become of the opinion Jackie is using here cachet built up over the years to cash in with the devil (ESPN), much like Bob Ryan has. They have both have lost a bit of themselves and have totally bought into the 'sensationalist' nature of ESPN reporting.

ESPN preaches a "throw as much poop against the wall as possible" mentality. Hey, something has to stick. And if you say it enough, the public will believe it eventually anyways.

Lost respect for Ryan and MacMullen years ago.