Author Topic: Jackie Mac "Rondo has told the Celtics he wants out- it will happen"  (Read 66819 times)

Re: Jackie Mac "Rondo has told the Celtics he wants out- it will happen"
« Reply #210 on: September 02, 2014, 04:43:29 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
You critics have insane standards if you're criticizing Jackie Mac. These people have to comment on 20 different topics a day for these shows. Do you know how hard it is to keep up to date on all that stuff? So what if she forgot Ishaiahehhahh (sp?) Thomas signed somewhere else? The segment wasn't even supposed to be on air.

Yes, she's not a beat reporter or journalist doing hard sports news anymore. So what? You would do the same thing if you paid your dues for 20 years and ESPN came calling with a nice contract that reduced your travel time and let you stay in the New England area. She still has contacts within the Celtics organization and she still writes great features. Frankly, I think she's earned a little slack.

Jackie is just another ESPN blowhard. Plain and simple.

I'm sorry that makes you mad. That's a "you" problem though, not a "me" problem. She lost her credibility a while ago, IMHO.

« Reply #211 on: September 02, 2014, 06:20:36 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Jackie seems like a nice lady and a well-respected, competent pro.  Everyone says so, and that's been the case for awhile.

It seems there's a fairly good chance that she's wrong on this one, though.  If she is, it's a major gaffe by her.  Sometimes you have to take some risks.  Jackie has definitely gone out on a limb and taken a risk on this on.  Good for her.  But, if she's made a mistake, she should be held accountable in some way.  I'm not saying she should lose her job or anything, but some of her credibility will rightfully be diminished. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #212 on: September 02, 2014, 06:27:33 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
A Sherrod Blakely had this to say:

Multiple league sources have repeatedly said that Rondo wants to start the season in Boston and see where things go from there. A similar sentiment has trickled out of Celtics camp, as well.

Rondo is hopeful that the team Danny Ainge is assembling around him is better than most anticipate, that they can be this season's feel-good story not only in the East but throughout the NBA.
Multiple league and team sources agree the most likely scenario has Rondo beginning the season in Boston. Then, depending on how the team does, both sides will mutually agree to either ride it out or part ways sooner rather than later.

However you may feel about Blakely's reporting, this seems to be the sense around the league and also fits common sense.  I feel comfortable in my speculation that Rondo's order of preferences is:

1. Play for a playoff team in Boston
2. Play for a playoff team elsewhere
3. Play for a non-playoff team in Boston
4. Play for a non-playoff team elsewhere

A lot of analysis involves determining the probability of preference #1.  The people who want to trade Rondo the most are probably the people who think there is no chance of the Celtics making the playoffs.  The people who want to trade Rondo the least are probably the people who think the Celtics have a shot.

Has Blakely ever contributed anything useful? If he does it will be a first.

I'm relying more on other reporters who have said the same thing rather than Blakely himself.  I would not fee comfortable using his reporting if he was the only one saying it.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #213 on: September 02, 2014, 06:41:52 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Jackie seems like a nice lady and a well-respected, competent pro.  Everyone says so, and that's been the case for awhile.

It seems there's a fairly good chance that she's wrong on this one, though.  If she is, it's a major gaffe by her.  Sometimes you have to take some risks.  Jackie has definitely gone out on a limb and taken a risk on this on.  Good for her.  But, if she's made a mistake, she should be held accountable in some way.  I'm not saying she should lose her job or anything, but some of her credibility will rightfully be diminished.

I agree, even though she is now working at ESPN she needs to hold herself to a higher standard than some of the other blowhards (on that network) that are consistently making up false stories based on inside sources. She has written some really great pieces over the years, tough to see her being just a talking head

« Reply #214 on: September 02, 2014, 06:42:08 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
You critics have insane standards if you're criticizing Jackie Mac. These people have to comment on 20 different topics a day for these shows. Do you know how hard it is to keep up to date on all that stuff? So what if she forgot Ishaiahehhahh (sp?) Thomas signed somewhere else? The segment wasn't even supposed to be on air.

Yes, she's not a beat reporter or journalist doing hard sports news anymore. So what? You would do the same thing if you paid your dues for 20 years and ESPN came calling with a nice contract that reduced your travel time and let you stay in the New England area. She still has contacts within the Celtics organization and she still writes great features. Frankly, I think she's earned a little slack.

I'm sorry that makes you mad. That's a "you" problem though, not a "me" problem. She lost her credibility a while ago, IMHO.

Thanks for the condescending post. I wasn't mad, I was just defending Jackie Mac from unfair criticism. I wonder what writers everybody is following if MacMullan is so horrible because it must be a short list.

For the last time, it was an off-air segment that they threw on the web. Clearly someone made a mistake. Maybe Jackie didn't know or maybe she just misspoke (the vagueness of "he wants out" can be debated). Either way, this is hardly the stuff of scandal. Can we all calm down?

People believe what they want to believe. Now that A. Sherrod Blakely has got the report people find palatable, he's a genius and Jackie is a fraud!

I seem to recall how unpopular her reporting on the Love trade was a few months ago...

« Reply #215 on: September 02, 2014, 06:45:38 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

I agree, even though she is now working at ESPN she needs to hold herself to a higher standard than some of the other blowhards (on that network) that are consistently making up false stories based on inside sources. She has written some really great pieces over the years, tough to see her being just a talking head

I am curious as to what, exactly, you guys think she has to be wrong about in her initial statement -- rather than the fallout of what her position has been as represented by the 'she's a wench' contingent here.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #216 on: September 02, 2014, 07:26:17 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
My summary of this Macrondogate saga:

1) Jackie has heard from someone with deep connections (someone she considers trustworthy with things in this regard) that Rondo's told Danny he wants out if the Celtics are going to be rebuilding.

2) Jackie never said that Rondo has demanded a trade. The media has adopted this as usual like Chinese whispers and made the story more newsworthy and clickable for internet hits on their sites.

3) She actually said that she heard that he wants out, and her stance appears to be that if that's the case and he doesn't want to be part of a rebuild, then she'd want them to trade him before they lose him for nothing and this whole thing gets ugly. I say that is likely her stance from the articles she's written recently.

4) Rondo doesn't want a trade, and Jackie Mac never said he did- so don't buy the other crap if you didn't see the video. Not once did she say 'Rondo wants a trade'. She even said 'there's no one that gives you even 80 cents on the dollar'.

5) Rondo wants to stay in Boston, attempt to get back to the old Rondo, and then become an unrestricted free agent when the season is over.

Jackie never said that Rondo wanted a trade, but she also never said he wants out if the Celtics are going to be rebuilding. She said he told the team he wants out, which you don't seem to believe either.

« Reply #217 on: September 02, 2014, 07:44:19 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Thanks for the condescending post. I wasn't mad, I was just defending Jackie Mac from unfair criticism. I wonder what writers everybody is following if MacMullan is so horrible because it must be a short list.

For the last time, it was an off-air segment that they threw on the web. Clearly someone made a mistake. Maybe Jackie didn't know or maybe she just misspoke (the vagueness of "he wants out" can be debated). Either way, this is hardly the stuff of scandal. Can we all calm down?

People believe what they want to believe. Now that A. Sherrod Blakely has got the report people find palatable, he's a genius and Jackie is a fraud!

I seem to recall how unpopular her reporting on the Love trade was a few months ago...

If people don't like Jackie, they don't like Jackie as they feel that she's not reporter she used to be. By the way I think people are taking the Blakley report with skepticism as well.

« Reply #218 on: September 02, 2014, 09:21:51 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I'd hate to lose Rondo, but Danny will trade him in a heartbeat.  He's been getting the Ray Allen treatment for pretty much his entire career, which is disgusting, imo, but if he's gone :'(, why not do something like this? - http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=od8lx8w

Sure, on the surface it doesn't make sense, but if Smart is our point guard moving forward, at least we'd be able to free up an ass-load of cap room.

Your trade idea does not increase the Celtics cap room compared to just keeping all those players and letting them expire.  The Celtics also take in way more salary than they give up, putting the team into the luxury tax.

I thought that that was how a team made more cap room, though, by having expiring contracts coming off the books, or has something changed?  I also don't understand the whole luxury tax thing.  How much money are the owners already putting into the team?  These guys are billionaires and millionaires many times over, so what's a few million more to them?  Sorry, but I have no sympathy for these 'people.'  How can you bankroll an $80 million team and then complain about having to pay a luxury tax?  Businesses and corporations get nothing but tax breaks and kickbacks everywhere, only to suck every last ounce of marrow out of such a deal before leaving an area because it's good for them.  I hate the cutthroat culture and the playing of states against each other all so that they can stay for free for two years and then get up and leave after their deal is over, despite making promises to stay beyond their lease or whatever.  I can't stand these idiots, so when it comes to people like the owners of a sports team saying that they want to avoid the luxury tax at all costs it makes me laugh.  Grow up, get over yourself, and pay up for once in your life.  Sorry, the whole thing just makes me very angry.

Cap space is determined by salary cap minus money allocated players under contract.  Your trade idea does not change the number of players under contract for 2015-2016.  Since the Celtics are over the cap, swapping a group of expiring contracts for another group of expiring contacts doesn't change anything.

The luxury tax has an increasing penalty for teams that are repeat payers of the tax.  It's generally accept that it only makes sense to risk paying that greater penalty when you have a team that is a contender.  Even then, it seems like Lebron James left Miami in part due to the owner being unwilling to foot a large luxury tax bill.

Thanks for making my point.  Miami let Mike Miller walk because they were concerned about the luxury tax and it certainly came back to haunt them in the finals, imo.  I'm not saying that Miller would have been the difference between winning and losing a title, but iirc he was a huge factor in that 2013 series.

Also, I know how cap room is created, haha, but how would such a trade not help us financially after next season?  All 3 of those guys come off the books in addition to Thornton, if he isn't moved beforehand, so aside from losing Rondo, what's the downside?  If we went with the larger trade I proposed which included a trade of Jeff Green for Tayshaun Prince, then we'd really have so room, both financially and on the roster. 

I hate to say it, but next season is just going to be another throwaway year aimed at getting us a high draft pick in order to be in a position to select a great a big man, which will undoubtedly fail lol.  I don't know what people expect this season to be other than more of the same from last year, albeit with a couple of promising rookies.  Sorry if that's a bleak outlook.

« Reply #219 on: September 02, 2014, 09:49:15 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

I am curious as to what, exactly, you guys think she has to be wrong about in her initial statement -- rather than the fallout of what her position has been as represented by the 'she's a wench' contingent here.

"He's told them he wants out." 

That's a fairly clear statement.  I believe that it could well be the case that he hasn't told them anything of the kind. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #220 on: September 02, 2014, 10:04:09 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
It's laughable to me though that anyone would say she 'made it up'. When has she ever fabricated anything? Being wrong factually (which is far from a given) doesn't mean she made it up. Journalists, and she is a legitimate honest to goodness journalist, don't make things up. They're not in the business of fiction. Could be bad info, could be incomplete info (and we can play the 'what if' game here for hours there. My smokin hot take is that Rondo asked out/said he wouldn't resign if the Celtics can't get some good talent in the next year or so, and Jackie Mac either didn't give the whole story or didn't have it), but to just throw out there that it's completely ficticious on her end ignores a body of work that deserves more credit and respect.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #221 on: September 02, 2014, 10:23:48 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Just to make sure I understand the premise here....the idea is either that Jackie was sitting on this huge nugget but just sat on it till she revealed it to these two guys for no reason or she was thinking "Hey it's off air so nothing I say matters. I can either tell these guys something interesting orrrrr I can say "Hey guys. I got nothin. I mean I just do not know""

I gotta go with the 2nd. She's good but she's a human being.

« Reply #222 on: September 02, 2014, 10:29:44 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
It's laughable to me though that anyone would say she 'made it up'.

People say more than they should all the time.  They overstate, they exaggerate, they mischaracterize.  Notice what she said.  "Nobody believes me."  If she had a solid source, why wouldn't people believe her?

Mike

« Reply #223 on: September 02, 2014, 10:35:01 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
It's laughable to me though that anyone would say she 'made it up'.

People say more than they should all the time.  They overstate, they exaggerate, they mischaracterize.  Notice what she said.  "Nobody believes me."  If she had a solid source, why wouldn't people believe her?

Mike
because she didn't name the source?

« Reply #224 on: September 02, 2014, 10:36:07 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
You know who has a really good source? Rondo. He has a pretty good source that he didn't do that