Author Topic: Jackie Mac "Rondo has told the Celtics he wants out- it will happen"  (Read 66921 times)

Re: Jackie Mac "Rondo has told the Celtics he wants out- it will happen"
« Reply #195 on: September 02, 2014, 11:41:42 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Bob Ryan

"It doesn't matter if he wants to be traded," said Ryan. "They're not trading him. He's not tradable right now.  Nobody's seen him play and that's that.  If he is traded, it will be at the trading deadline."

"You can't trade him until somebody has looked at him and see what you're getting. Because it certainly was inconclusive based on what we saw at the end of last year."

Dates usually help with quotes. 

Curious when did he state that? Last April/May?

Sorry. It was a recent article on csnne. After comments by JM

« Reply #196 on: September 02, 2014, 11:55:08 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Rondo will be gone by the deadline, to me his tenure ended here when the C's didn't get Love and drafted Smart.  It's pretty clear what direction they are heading in....

DA is in a tough spot because you can't offer him max money to stay because he is not worth it and he doesn't have a lot of value on the trade market because there are a ton of good to very good PG's in the league...

I personally don't like Rondo the player and I think he is kind of a dink.  He doesn't have the leadership qualities that you are looking for and I think he just rubs people the wrong way.  He needs a KG ( in his prime ) to keep him on track...

I personally believe leaders are born and not made and Rondo isn't a natural born leader, I don't think guys want to follow him....( just my opinion )....

He is a good player, who has had a very good career so far but I think his tenure as a Celtic has run it's course and it's time to move on from him and let Smart run this team for the next few years...

« Reply #197 on: September 02, 2014, 12:12:23 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Bob Ryan

"It doesn't matter if he wants to be traded," said Ryan. "They're not trading him. He's not tradable right now.  Nobody's seen him play and that's that.  If he is traded, it will be at the trading deadline."

"You can't trade him until somebody has looked at him and see what you're getting. Because it certainly was inconclusive based on what we saw at the end of last year."

Bob Ryan is much more of a wench than Jackie McMullan.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #198 on: September 02, 2014, 12:26:16 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
I don't understand why everybody is characterizing "Rondo wants out" as a report that Rondo has made a trade request. There's a difference between informing a team you will most likely leave if no significant roster improvements are made and making a formal trade request. I don't believe Rondo wants to be traded because he wants to go through the free agent process and staying in Boston until that time is more convenient for him than going somewhere he might not re-sign with for like 4-6 months. Obviously that's not his choice because the Celtics have the right to deal him whenever and wherever they want. In this situation Rondo can either keep quiet and pretend he MIGHT stay, or privately admit to the team he will probably go.

Maybe if it all happened again Jackie would use better phrasing but this was all just off the cuff. It's unclear whether she knew these off-air segments were actually posted online but you can tell from their speech they weren't talking in their bubbly, on-air voices.

It bothers me that some people reflexively seem to attack journalists in general or when they hear something they don't want to hear in a shoot-the-messenger type reaction. Or, they bash ESPN as if everybody working there is some loudmouthed, sensationalist moron. I doubt very much that any sports fan, especially Boston ones can claim they totally boycott ESPN's products. Have you looked at the competition? Their websites are horrible and the writing of lesser quality. The local news is not much better because national outlets have poached all the best talent and they have one of two "types" working for them: 1) The young up-and-comer who may show promise but eventually leaves (Reiss, Albert Breer) or 2) The cranky old guy whom national outlets don't want (Shaughnessy, Borges).

Seriously, Rondofans are approaching the frenzied idolatry of the Kobefans in LA. Well, maybe just a little bit.

And Rondo detractors would believe anything negative about Rondo and would ship him out scraps. Have you seen the anti-rondo posts on this thread? And you say Rondo fans are frenzied?!

I don't see anybody saying we should dump the guy for negative assets. There ARE people who are concerned we're going to lose him for nothing, in which case trading him in a year we are rebuilding anyway for something, anything, would be a smart move.

There are also people in the camp that wouldn't mind keeping him but don't want to pay him the supermax. Do you think this team will be able to compete with Rondo making 20 million/year?

If Ainge does keep him until the end of the season it will be because he got no decent offers whatsoever.

Then you clearly haven't looked hard enough I think rondo will stay until the end of the season

« Reply #199 on: September 02, 2014, 12:31:06 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

If it's true that he's said something, I think it's reasonably logical to assume that he doesn't mean 'I want out at all costs, I'm done with the Celtics'.

I think it's more logical to speculate his words (if they are true) as: ' I love the Celtics but I want out if we can't add another star player and you decide to go the long rebuild route'.

Neither Rondo nor his agent have said he wants out.  I don't believe there's any report that references anyone close to Rondo saying he wants out.  I also don't believe there's been any report that Rondo wants the max which is linked to Rondo or anyone close to him.

All we actually know is that Rondo does not want to sign an extension right now.

THAT'S IT.

Mike

We don't actually know that, but we can assume that Rondo's agent is telling him he'll get a bigger deal by hitting free agency.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #200 on: September 02, 2014, 12:39:49 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I'd hate to lose Rondo, but Danny will trade him in a heartbeat.  He's been getting the Ray Allen treatment for pretty much his entire career, which is disgusting, imo, but if he's gone :'(, why not do something like this? - http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=od8lx8w

Sure, on the surface it doesn't make sense, but if Smart is our point guard moving forward, at least we'd be able to free up an ass-load of cap room.

Your trade idea does not increase the Celtics cap room compared to just keeping all those players and letting them expire.  The Celtics also take in way more salary than they give up, putting the team into the luxury tax.

I thought that that was how a team made more cap room, though, by having expiring contracts coming off the books, or has something changed?  I also don't understand the whole luxury tax thing.  How much money are the owners already putting into the team?  These guys are billionaires and millionaires many times over, so what's a few million more to them?  Sorry, but I have no sympathy for these 'people.'  How can you bankroll an $80 million team and then complain about having to pay a luxury tax?  Businesses and corporations get nothing but tax breaks and kickbacks everywhere, only to suck every last ounce of marrow out of such a deal before leaving an area because it's good for them.  I hate the cutthroat culture and the playing of states against each other all so that they can stay for free for two years and then get up and leave after their deal is over, despite making promises to stay beyond their lease or whatever.  I can't stand these idiots, so when it comes to people like the owners of a sports team saying that they want to avoid the luxury tax at all costs it makes me laugh.  Grow up, get over yourself, and pay up for once in your life.  Sorry, the whole thing just makes me very angry.

Cap space is determined by salary cap minus money allocated players under contract.  Your trade idea does not change the number of players under contract for 2015-2016.  Since the Celtics are over the cap, swapping a group of expiring contracts for another group of expiring contacts doesn't change anything.

The luxury tax has an increasing penalty for teams that are repeat payers of the tax.  It's generally accept that it only makes sense to risk paying that greater penalty when you have a team that is a contender.  Even then, it seems like Lebron James left Miami in part due to the owner being unwilling to foot a large luxury tax bill.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #201 on: September 02, 2014, 12:52:01 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
A Sherrod Blakely had this to say:

Multiple league sources have repeatedly said that Rondo wants to start the season in Boston and see where things go from there. A similar sentiment has trickled out of Celtics camp, as well.

Rondo is hopeful that the team Danny Ainge is assembling around him is better than most anticipate, that they can be this season's feel-good story not only in the East but throughout the NBA.

<snip>

Multiple league and team sources agree the most likely scenario has Rondo beginning the season in Boston. Then, depending on how the team does, both sides will mutually agree to either ride it out or part ways sooner rather than later.

However you may feel about Blakely's reporting, this seems to be the sense around the league and also fits common sense.  I feel comfortable in my speculation that Rondo's order of preferences is:

1. Play for a playoff team in Boston
2. Play for a playoff team elsewhere
3. Play for a non-playoff team in Boston
4. Play for a non-playoff team elsewhere

A lot of analysis involves determining the probability of preference #1.  The people who want to trade Rondo the most are probably the people who think there is no chance of the Celtics making the playoffs.  The people who want to trade Rondo the least are probably the people who think the Celtics have a shot.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #202 on: September 02, 2014, 01:48:21 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
have not read this thread, but seems that subsequent news releases from the Herald, et. al. makes Jackie M the net loser here.  I think she loses some credibility. The fact that she also mistakes Isiah Thomas still being with the Kings evidence that she has lost  something on her fastball.   I have great respect for her career, groundbreaking, really, but still, gotta call it like it is.

Clearly you didn't watch the video, and have never made a mistake about a roleplayer on another team.

WTH?

I watched it. She seemed a bit lost, confused.  Granted, she may not have realized she was being recorded.  But I'm not a professional journalist responsible for keeping track of trades involving players or teams  who from time to time are rumored to be involved in Rondo trades. She is.  Or was.

« Reply #203 on: September 02, 2014, 01:53:20 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
I don't know how you could come to the conclusion that she's lost some of her credibility when the video went down unless you didn't watch the video, as the ATH producers came out and said that they were putting her in an unfair position by airing the exchange.

Like I said earlier, that bit of footage isn't meaningfully different than a lot of the speculative stuff that goes on here on a daily basis. It wasn't part of the broadcast, and that needs to be taken into account.

« Reply #204 on: September 02, 2014, 02:45:30 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
You critics have insane standards if you're criticizing Jackie Mac. These people have to comment on 20 different topics a day for these shows. Do you know how hard it is to keep up to date on all that stuff? So what if she forgot Ishaiahehhahh (sp?) Thomas signed somewhere else? The segment wasn't even supposed to be on air.

Yes, she's not a beat reporter or journalist doing hard sports news anymore. So what? You would do the same thing if you paid your dues for 20 years and ESPN came calling with a nice contract that reduced your travel time and let you stay in the New England area. She still has contacts within the Celtics organization and she still writes great features. Frankly, I think she's earned a little slack.

« Reply #205 on: September 02, 2014, 02:50:10 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
I don't know how you could come to the conclusion that she's lost some of her credibility when the video went down unless you didn't watch the video, as the ATH producers came out and said that they were putting her in an unfair position by airing the exchange.

Like I said earlier, that bit of footage isn't meaningfully different than a lot of the speculative stuff that goes on here on a daily basis. It wasn't part of the broadcast, and that needs to be taken into account.

Just because she did not know she was being recorded does not excuse her saying something dumb, or making stuff up about Rondo's demands. 

But, I have not invested the time in reading this thread, or all the back-story here, so my POV has limited value.  Feel free to conclude I did not watch the video. 

« Reply #206 on: September 02, 2014, 02:53:45 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

I agree with you that the tape should not be held to a broadcast standard though, that is a fair point. 

Who knows, maybe Jackie is right that Rondo or his agent has demanded to be traded.  She seems adamant about that.

I forgive her for forgetting that Thomas was already traded by the Kings. I forget more important stuff than that on a daily basis.

I can see how I have come across as a hard butt here.  I need to chill out.  Too much coffee maybe.

« Reply #207 on: September 02, 2014, 03:14:19 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
No worries dude, it's a contentious issue.

« Reply #208 on: September 02, 2014, 04:08:47 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
Rondo will be gone by the deadline, to me his tenure ended here when the C's didn't get Love and drafted Smart.  It's pretty clear what direction they are heading in....

DA is in a tough spot because you can't offer him max money to stay because he is not worth it and he doesn't have a lot of value on the trade market because there are a ton of good to very good PG's in the league...

I personally don't like Rondo the player and I think he is kind of a dink.  He doesn't have the leadership qualities that you are looking for and I think he just rubs people the wrong way.  He needs a KG ( in his prime ) to keep him on track...

I personally believe leaders are born and not made and Rondo isn't a natural born leader, I don't think guys want to follow him....( just my opinion )....

He is a good player, who has had a very good career so far but I think his tenure as a Celtic has run it's course and it's time to move on from him and let Smart run this team for the next few years...

You nailed it Brother!

I would dump the player now. You cannot substitute experience by letting players like Smart and Young sit on the bench waiting on a potential move. Make it now!

Ryan should stay retired. Rondo is a player in the right fit. Coming back from injury talk is b#llsh!t! He has value. You wait tip the deadline and nobody will touch him cus he wants a shot at the Market.
Call McHale

« Reply #209 on: September 02, 2014, 04:11:26 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
A Sherrod Blakely had this to say:

Multiple league sources have repeatedly said that Rondo wants to start the season in Boston and see where things go from there. A similar sentiment has trickled out of Celtics camp, as well.

Rondo is hopeful that the team Danny Ainge is assembling around him is better than most anticipate, that they can be this season's feel-good story not only in the East but throughout the NBA.
Multiple league and team sources agree the most likely scenario has Rondo beginning the season in Boston. Then, depending on how the team does, both sides will mutually agree to either ride it out or part ways sooner rather than later.

However you may feel about Blakely's reporting, this seems to be the sense around the league and also fits common sense.  I feel comfortable in my speculation that Rondo's order of preferences is:

1. Play for a playoff team in Boston
2. Play for a playoff team elsewhere
3. Play for a non-playoff team in Boston
4. Play for a non-playoff team elsewhere

A lot of analysis involves determining the probability of preference #1.  The people who want to trade Rondo the most are probably the people who think there is no chance of the Celtics making the playoffs.  The people who want to trade Rondo the least are probably the people who think the Celtics have a shot.

Has Blakely ever contributed anything useful? If he does it will be a first.