Author Topic: Jackie Mac "Rondo has told the Celtics he wants out- it will happen"  (Read 66920 times)

Re: Jackie Mac "Rondo has told the Celtics he wants out- it will happen"
« Reply #180 on: September 02, 2014, 01:21:19 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Sounds like a whole load of bullcrap.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #181 on: September 02, 2014, 01:30:45 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I'd hate to lose Rondo, but Danny will trade him in a heartbeat.  He's been getting the Ray Allen treatment for pretty much his entire career, which is disgusting, imo, but if he's gone :'(, why not do something like this? - http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=od8lx8w

Sure, on the surface it doesn't make sense, but if Smart is our point guard moving forward, at least we'd be able to free up an ass-load of cap room.

Your trade idea does not increase the Celtics cap room compared to just keeping all those players and letting them expire.  The Celtics also take in way more salary than they give up, putting the team into the luxury tax.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #182 on: September 02, 2014, 01:59:13 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I'd hate to lose Rondo, but Danny will trade him in a heartbeat.  He's been getting the Ray Allen treatment for pretty much his entire career, which is disgusting, imo, but if he's gone :'(, why not do something like this? - http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=od8lx8w

Sure, on the surface it doesn't make sense, but if Smart is our point guard moving forward, at least we'd be able to free up an ass-load of cap room.

Your trade idea does not increase the Celtics cap room compared to just keeping all those players and letting them expire.  The Celtics also take in way more salary than they give up, putting the team into the luxury tax.

I thought that that was how a team made more cap room, though, by having expiring contracts coming off the books, or has something changed?  I also don't understand the whole luxury tax thing.  How much money are the owners already putting into the team?  These guys are billionaires and millionaires many times over, so what's a few million more to them?  Sorry, but I have no sympathy for these 'people.'  How can you bankroll an $80 million team and then complain about having to pay a luxury tax?  Businesses and corporations get nothing but tax breaks and kickbacks everywhere, only to suck every last ounce of marrow out of such a deal before leaving an area because it's good for them.  I hate the cutthroat culture and the playing of states against each other all so that they can stay for free for two years and then get up and leave after their deal is over, despite making promises to stay beyond their lease or whatever.  I can't stand these idiots, so when it comes to people like the owners of a sports team saying that they want to avoid the luxury tax at all costs it makes me laugh.  Grow up, get over yourself, and pay up for once in your life.  Sorry, the whole thing just makes me very angry.

« Reply #183 on: September 02, 2014, 01:59:49 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Sounds like a whole load of bullcrap.

My idea?  But of course... ;D

« Reply #184 on: September 02, 2014, 02:34:52 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
I don't understand why everybody is characterizing "Rondo wants out" as a report that Rondo has made a trade request. There's a difference between informing a team you will most likely leave if no significant roster improvements are made and making a formal trade request. I don't believe Rondo wants to be traded because he wants to go through the free agent process and staying in Boston until that time is more convenient for him than going somewhere he might not re-sign with for like 4-6 months. Obviously that's not his choice because the Celtics have the right to deal him whenever and wherever they want. In this situation Rondo can either keep quiet and pretend he MIGHT stay, or privately admit to the team he will probably go.

Maybe if it all happened again Jackie would use better phrasing but this was all just off the cuff. It's unclear whether she knew these off-air segments were actually posted online but you can tell from their speech they weren't talking in their bubbly, on-air voices.

It bothers me that some people reflexively seem to attack journalists in general or when they hear something they don't want to hear in a shoot-the-messenger type reaction. Or, they bash ESPN as if everybody working there is some loudmouthed, sensationalist moron. I doubt very much that any sports fan, especially Boston ones can claim they totally boycott ESPN's products. Have you looked at the competition? Their websites are horrible and the writing of lesser quality. The local news is not much better because national outlets have poached all the best talent and they have one of two "types" working for them: 1) The young up-and-comer who may show promise but eventually leaves (Reiss, Albert Breer) or 2) The cranky old guy whom national outlets don't want (Shaughnessy, Borges).

Seriously, Rondofans are approaching the frenzied idolatry of the Kobefans in LA. Well, maybe just a little bit.

« Reply #185 on: September 02, 2014, 03:49:01 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
I don't understand why everybody is characterizing "Rondo wants out" as a report that Rondo has made a trade request. There's a difference between informing a team you will most likely leave if no significant roster improvements are made and making a formal trade request. I don't believe Rondo wants to be traded because he wants to go through the free agent process and staying in Boston until that time is more convenient for him than going somewhere he might not re-sign with for like 4-6 months. Obviously that's not his choice because the Celtics have the right to deal him whenever and wherever they want. In this situation Rondo can either keep quiet and pretend he MIGHT stay, or privately admit to the team he will probably go.

Maybe if it all happened again Jackie would use better phrasing but this was all just off the cuff. It's unclear whether she knew these off-air segments were actually posted online but you can tell from their speech they weren't talking in their bubbly, on-air voices.

It bothers me that some people reflexively seem to attack journalists in general or when they hear something they don't want to hear in a shoot-the-messenger type reaction. Or, they bash ESPN as if everybody working there is some loudmouthed, sensationalist moron. I doubt very much that any sports fan, especially Boston ones can claim they totally boycott ESPN's products. Have you looked at the competition? Their websites are horrible and the writing of lesser quality. The local news is not much better because national outlets have poached all the best talent and they have one of two "types" working for them: 1) The young up-and-comer who may show promise but eventually leaves (Reiss, Albert Breer) or 2) The cranky old guy whom national outlets don't want (Shaughnessy, Borges).

Seriously, Rondofans are approaching the frenzied idolatry of the Kobefans in LA. Well, maybe just a little bit.

And Rondo detractors would believe anything negative about Rondo and would ship him out scraps. Have you seen the anti-rondo posts on this thread? And you say Rondo fans are frenzied?!

« Reply #186 on: September 02, 2014, 05:21:11 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

And Rondo detractors would believe anything negative about Rondo and would ship him out scraps. Have you seen the anti-rondo posts on this thread? And you say Rondo fans are frenzied?!
I wasn't aware that these two are mutually exclusive.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #187 on: September 02, 2014, 06:48:50 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258

I don't see anybody saying we should dump the guy for negative assets. There ARE people who are concerned we're going to lose him for nothing, in which case trading him in a year we are rebuilding anyway for something, anything, would be a smart move.

There are also people in the camp that wouldn't mind keeping him but don't want to pay him the supermax. Do you think this team will be able to compete with Rondo making 20 million/year?

If Ainge does keep him until the end of the season it will be because he got no decent offers whatsoever.

« Reply #188 on: September 02, 2014, 07:33:38 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I just want to interject what in my opinion is likely Rondo's view on this situation.

He is 28 and just experienced in many ways the worst season of his career. Having had a major injury he has tasted his basketball mortally. Last year was the first time since his NBA infancy that he had to play without future hall of famers on the court with him.

This off-season he has seen James move to the CAVS and in doing so he missed out on pairing with Love. Who would have been his ideal offensive teammate. He seems to legitimately have a good relationship with the Cs ownership and DA. I think this relationship has lead to a mutual understanding that if a contending roster cant be constructed in the next year then Rondo will no longer be a celtic. Unlike teams like the T-Wolves or Cavs whose ownership felt slighted by the departure of their star I expect the Cs will handle the likely departure in a very classy manor. Looking to the future while wishing Rondo well .
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #189 on: September 02, 2014, 09:51:20 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
My summary of this Macrondogate saga:

1) Jackie has heard from someone with deep connections (someone she considers trustworthy with things in this regard) that Rondo's told Danny he wants out if the Celtics are going to be rebuilding.

2) Jackie never said that Rondo has demanded a trade. The media has adopted this as usual like Chinese whispers and made the story more newsworthy and clickable for internet hits on their sites.

3) She actually said that she heard that he wants out, and her stance appears to be that if that's the case and he doesn't want to be part of a rebuild, then she'd want them to trade him before they lose him for nothing and this whole thing gets ugly. I say that is likely her stance from the articles she's written recently.

4) Rondo doesn't want a trade, and Jackie Mac never said he did- so don't buy the other crap if you didn't see the video. Not once did she say 'Rondo wants a trade'. She even said 'there's no one that gives you even 80 cents on the dollar'.

5) Rondo wants to stay in Boston, attempt to get back to the old Rondo, and then become an unrestricted free agent when the season is over.

6) One can logically conclude that Rondo likely doesn't want a trade because this is his home, or the place where he spends most of his time during the year, and if he went somewhere like (for example) Sacramento via a trade then there's a pretty good chance he'd leave as a free agent within 10 months anyway because he wants to play for the Celtics (under the right circumstances) or a playoff contender.

7) To add to the above, a factor that hasn't really been mentioned or speculated by anyone is that he's likely to increase his value as a free agent by:

a) playing with other stars who'll make him look better when their conversion rate is higher on his amazing passing and playmaking (and garnering national TV coverage/attention) or
b) playing with guys he's familiar with ie Avery, Green, Bass, Sully etc and being in the comfort of his hometown.

I have no doubt that Rondo desperately wants the Celtics to get another star because he desperately wants to play here for his entire career. But I don't doubt that he'd leave or has potentially told the Celtics he'll probably have to leave if they can't get another star. He's putting pressure on them to get something done which is the correct strategy.
They've shown they're serious about bringing someone in, but there's a lot of luck involved too.
Rondo's gotta look out for Rondo.

But yeah I think it's important to note that Jackie Mac never said he'd demanded a trade, she said she's heard from someone she considers an insider that he's told them he wants out.

If it's true that he's said something, I think it's reasonably logical to assume that he doesn't mean 'I want out at all costs, I'm done with the Celtics'.

I think it's more logical to speculate his words (if they are true) as: ' I love the Celtics but I want out if we can't add another star player and you decide to go the long rebuild route'.

Fact is I'm not sure Danny Ainge knows what he wants with Rondo yet either.
In Danny's, and all of our perfect worlds, Rondo recovers 100% from injury and is even better than before. The Celtics add another star and Rondo re-signs for 4-5 seasons and we go battling the Cavs and Bulls for the next 5 years in playoff folklore.

First part for Danny is seeing if Rondo can be good enough again to be a top 3 player on a championship team. If the answer is yes, then we'll keep him, or go as hard as possible at trying to keep him. If not, he'll offer Rondo what he deems fair, and move on if Rondo wants more than Danny thinks he's worth.

Most exciting part for me is seeing what Ainge and the crew come up with over the next 10 months for getting another star. I think they'll have a plan in place which caters for Rondo recovering to 100% (like the Kevin Love plan that crashed). They'll also have a plan B which they'll execute if Rondo appears unable to get back to what he once was.

I'd love to see
Rondo
Smart
Draft pick
Sully
Hibbert.

If we could only be so lucky.

"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #190 on: September 02, 2014, 10:41:21 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
"Multiple league sources have repeatedly said that Rondo wants to start the season in Boston and see where things go from there. A similar sentiment has trickled out of Celtics camp, as well."

Rondo and the celts each have one foot out the door

« Reply #191 on: September 02, 2014, 10:43:47 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Bob Ryan

"It doesn't matter if he wants to be traded," said Ryan. "They're not trading him. He's not tradable right now.  Nobody's seen him play and that's that.  If he is traded, it will be at the trading deadline."

"You can't trade him until somebody has looked at him and see what you're getting. Because it certainly was inconclusive based on what we saw at the end of last year."

« Reply #192 on: September 02, 2014, 11:16:00 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

If it's true that he's said something, I think it's reasonably logical to assume that he doesn't mean 'I want out at all costs, I'm done with the Celtics'.

I think it's more logical to speculate his words (if they are true) as: ' I love the Celtics but I want out if we can't add another star player and you decide to go the long rebuild route'.

Neither Rondo nor his agent have said he wants out.  I don't believe there's any report that references anyone close to Rondo saying he wants out.  I also don't believe there's been any report that Rondo wants the max which is linked to Rondo or anyone close to him.

All we actually know is that Rondo does not want to sign an extension right now.

THAT'S IT.

Mike

« Reply #193 on: September 02, 2014, 11:33:41 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Bob Ryan

"It doesn't matter if he wants to be traded," said Ryan. "They're not trading him. He's not tradable right now.  Nobody's seen him play and that's that.  If he is traded, it will be at the trading deadline."

"You can't trade him until somebody has looked at him and see what you're getting. Because it certainly was inconclusive based on what we saw at the end of last year."

Dates usually help with quotes. 

Curious when did he state that? Last April/May?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #194 on: September 02, 2014, 11:41:10 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
My summary of this Macrondogate saga:

Well thought out +1