Author Topic: Jackie Mac "Rondo has told the Celtics he wants out- it will happen"  (Read 67100 times)

Re: Jackie Mac "Rondo has told the Celtics he wants out- it will happen"
« Reply #135 on: September 01, 2014, 08:23:13 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
The thing about debating with you Tim is that I always find myself forgetting what my initial point was. What were we talking about again?

I thought you pulled the conversation off on a tangent with your first reply. You were talking (among other things) about how there's (at least in terms of rumors) less of a market for Rondo than the other stars that were traded. I pointed out that a big reason for those players generating more offers than Rondo is the fact that the players said they were leaving and the teams were actively shopping them, which isn't the case with Rondo. You then brought up Rondo's injury history, which seems fairly unrelated to my point. It's been downhill ever since.

No, I said that because of Rondo's injury and play last season, and the fact that he's an unrestricted free agent, and the fact that Danny Ainge has no upside in shipping him out for pennies on the dollar because of the first two things, that Rondo and Danny have a mutual interest in Rondo's situation appearing to be stable, and Rondo returning to form, even IF Rondo has no intention of resigning

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #136 on: September 01, 2014, 09:14:26 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
The thing about debating with you Tim is that I always find myself forgetting what my initial point was. What were we talking about again?

I thought you pulled the conversation off on a tangent with your first reply. You were talking (among other things) about how there's (at least in terms of rumors) less of a market for Rondo than the other stars that were traded. I pointed out that a big reason for those players generating more offers than Rondo is the fact that the players said they were leaving and the teams were actively shopping them, which isn't the case with Rondo. You then brought up Rondo's injury history, which seems fairly unrelated to my point. It's been downhill ever since.

No, I said that because of Rondo's injury and play last season, and the fact that he's an unrestricted free agent, and the fact that Danny Ainge has no upside in shipping him out for pennies on the dollar because of the first two things, that Rondo and Danny have a mutual interest in Rondo's situation appearing to be stable, and Rondo returning to form, even IF Rondo has no intention of resigning

I agree with this. Rondo and Ainge have a mutual interest in Rondo proving that he's back to form AND capable to lead a team. If he does this, he could then receive a max deal from the celtics as he would have earned, or the celtics can get good value for him in a deal and let him get his money elsewhere.

The Raptors last season wanted to trade Lowry as well, and then he became the true leader of the team, played like an all-star, and brought them to the playoffs. Now they signed him long term. If Rondo wants a max deal, be it in Boston or elsewhere, he has to show that he is healthy and able to lead a playoff bound team. In turn, it makes no sense for Ainge to trade Rondo until Rondo can prove his value to the league after his ACL surgery and the departures of Pierce and KG and Doc, and rumors of his bad attitude.

« Reply #137 on: September 01, 2014, 10:36:43 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Okay. So I'll point out that I don't agree with the claim that Rondo's play last year would be a big drag on his trade value because nba execs have seen enough players recover from knee injures to know that it tends to take a while for players to get all the way back to form.

But in my first post I was responding to the "pennies on the dollar part" because you kept talking about the few rumors of offers for Rondo. Ignoring for a moment that there have been a decent amount of rumors of teams asking about Rondo over the last year, I was pointing out that one main reason there were rumors for Love (or other top players) and not for Rondo was that Love publicly sad he was leaving the Wolves and Flip was actively trying to trade him. That's not the case with Danny and Rondo. How many rumors were there of teams making offers for Love before he said he was leaving? That's what you should be comparing to Rondo.

Again, I thought your responding to my mentioning that Rondo hadn't said that he was leaving his team while Love had by saying Rajon was coming back from a knee injury was going off on a tangent, but I went with it anyways.

« Reply #138 on: September 01, 2014, 12:06:36 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
FWIW

Sean Grande

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/grande-rondo-%E2%80%98went-through-same-thing-pierce%E2%80%99
"Has anything changed involving Rajon Rondo? Absolutely not," said Grande. "Is it a worthwhile topic? It is, because it's going to go on over the course of this season.

A Sherrod

http://www.csnne.com/article/isnt-time-rondo-demand-trade-celtics

Multiple league sources have repeatedly said that Rondo wants to start the season in Boston and see where things go from there. A similar sentiment has trickled out of Celtics camp, as well.

« Reply #139 on: September 01, 2014, 12:18:38 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
FWIW

Sean Grande

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/grande-rondo-%E2%80%98went-through-same-thing-pierce%E2%80%99
"Has anything changed involving Rajon Rondo? Absolutely not," said Grande. "Is it a worthwhile topic? It is, because it's going to go on over the course of this season.

A Sherrod

http://www.csnne.com/article/isnt-time-rondo-demand-trade-celtics

Multiple league sources have repeatedly said that Rondo wants to start the season in Boston and see where things go from there. A similar sentiment has trickled out of Celtics camp, as well.

I know it's Sherrod but that makes way more sense than Jackie.  I'm sure Rondo has seen Ainge make enough cold-blooded moves that he's pragmatic about staying or going and Ainge knows that any Rondo trade will close the door on a fast rebuild.

Mike

« Reply #140 on: September 01, 2014, 12:56:47 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
FWIW

Sean Grande

Hilarious:

"Those who study history are doomed to repeat it," explained Grande. "When you get to be old enough, you've lived through the history".

Words escape me.

« Reply #141 on: September 01, 2014, 01:18:08 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
ESPN appears to have removed the video that featured MacMullan’s comments from the “Around the Horn” YouTube account, though it doesn’t look like the network has given a reason just yet.

Espn to Jackie: Who told you about this?
Jackie: You can't handle the truth

« Reply #142 on: September 01, 2014, 01:30:18 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
the way I'm taking this is that ROndo is going to see what sort of moves that Ainge makes to improve/better the team before making any decisions on whether to bail ship or not.

If i'm rondo it is the most logical way to go about it. If we have another off-season next year like the one we did this summer I dont see rondo staying. and you cant blame a player for not wanting to waste his prime years on a team that would peak at 25-30wins.

now, if ainge gets another impact player and shows rondo that they are making moves towards contending..maybe he stays

« Reply #143 on: September 01, 2014, 01:52:13 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
If Rondo is denying he wants out , why doesn't he just resign?

« Reply #144 on: September 01, 2014, 01:57:11 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Because he can be paid more as a free agent.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #145 on: September 01, 2014, 02:03:05 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Well he is denying he wants out but will end up leaving.
Danny is not going to overpay for rondo unless he plays like he did 3 years ago and helps the celts make the playoffs . what are the chances this happens??

« Reply #146 on: September 01, 2014, 02:47:31 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Danny is not going to overpay for rondo unless he plays like he did 3 years ago and helps the celts make the playoffs . what are the chances this happens??

The odds on his knee continuing to improve as he gets farther from the injury would be pretty high, and the odds of his play improving as that happens are very high.

« Reply #147 on: September 01, 2014, 02:54:40 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

The odds on his knee continuing to improve as he gets farther from the injury would be pretty high, and the odds of his play improving as that happens are very high.

Yes but can the celtics make the playoffs?? 

The celtics don't make the playoffs

Rondo: not staying.  Can't wait until the celts find a dancing partner , a FA dying to come here to play. Want to a win a championship now + plus get paid

Ainge/Celtics:  Pay Rondo near max money, but he can't lead the team into the playoffs. Hard to say that another key vet will get this team going somewhere.    Likely to offer a deal similar to what Lowry got from Toronto, 13-14 million a year max.

Unless danny can pull some magic via trade/FA , Rondo plays out of his mind and carries this team into the playoffs or Rondo is willing to accept a discount to stay, Rondo is not likely a Celtic for next season.

So tell me Tim, what are you hoping will happen?

« Reply #148 on: September 01, 2014, 03:36:56 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
But Jackie Mac's own credibility here for me is unimpeachable. It means that she heard it from a source she feels according to her own journalistic standards would be informed. Maybe they're wrong, but there is zero chance she pulled this out of her own b-hole.
Given that it wasn't written in an article and was buried in a video very casually you're wrong on this IP.

If she had it according to her own journalistic standards she'd have written the story, her editors would insist on it. I think there are two options:

1. She doesn't have a solid enough source to publish.

2. She does have it solid enough but doesn't want to T off the Celtics brass by doing so and it slipped while talking in a relatively informal TV format.
No way this thing slipped these arent really "hidden" segments they knew it was going up for people to see and of course rondo is going to deny it. its probably more along the lines though that if we cant land anyone of superstar caliber then he'd want out which im not mad at him for.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #149 on: September 01, 2014, 04:25:43 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Yes but can the celtics make the playoffs?? 

The celtics don't make the playoffs

Rondo: not staying.  Can't wait until the celts find a dancing partner , a FA dying to come here to play. Want to a win a championship now + plus get paid

Ainge/Celtics:  Pay Rondo near max money, but he can't lead the team into the playoffs. Hard to say that another key vet will get this team going somewhere.    Likely to offer a deal similar to what Lowry got from Toronto, 13-14 million a year max.

Unless danny can pull some magic via trade/FA , Rondo plays out of his mind and carries this team into the playoffs or Rondo is willing to accept a discount to stay, Rondo is not likely a Celtic for next season.

So tell me Tim, what are you hoping will happen?

I'm just waiting to see how things play out. Obviously I'd hope that we end up with a relatively quick turnaround instead of an extended stay at the bottom. I'm pretty sure that's what Ainge is still hoping for as well. I'd also guess that Danny's opinion of Rondo is significantly higher than yours so you'd need to figure that into your predictions. Also that Danny's probably already offered Rondo almost $14M a year in an extension and he expected Rondo to turn it down because it's less than he'll get in his next contract, so I don't think that part of your scenario isw very accurate either.