Author Topic: Jackie Mac "Rondo has told the Celtics he wants out- it will happen"  (Read 66922 times)

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Credit for this goes to DarkAzcura on RealGM.
Behind the scenes before going to air on 'Behind the Horn' this week.
Just a little off season banter from Jackie Mac. She seems to swear by it? Who's her source? There can't be that many people who would know about this. Hard part about watching this is realizing they are off air and she's just talking candidly about it.

*says he's told them he wants out
*says she's not sure who the Celtics can get any kind of equal value back from because the Knicks have nothing and Rondo has said he'll never re-sign in Sacramento.
*Interesting point she makes is that Doc is 'done' with Rondo, and Rondo drives him nuts.
*Says Bledsoe may work, but she says this is just her speculation because she says she's got no idea who can give us decent value in return.

I've always thought there's a serious chance Rondo leaves us with this crappy roster- we are quite a few pieces away from contending and we'll need a lot of luck to become even a top 4 team in the East.

But this hit home with me seeing how emphatic she is about this. Of all the clowns in the media she's one of those still holding some integrity (to me at least) and she seems convinced that her source is reliable.
If Rondo is gone, we are looking potentially looking at a potential 5-10 years before sniffing a championship again. Brace yourselves if this is true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4goffcw1udI

« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 04:40:59 AM by chambers »
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Re: Jackie Mac "Rondo has told the Celtics he wants out- it will happen"
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 04:40:22 AM »

Offline Rick Robeys Return

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
  • The bringer of DJ
God, great find. How freakin' depressing though.....ugh!

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 04:58:59 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
God, great find. How freakin' depressing though.....ugh!

I mean if you think about it, if it's true that he said he's leaving- it's not for nothing.
He'll stay if we bring in the pieces to keep him. That's the problem though, how the hell do we get our hands on those pieces before next off season?
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 04:59:16 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50g0atoby9c

Rondo pouring some ice water over Wyc a week ago before wanting out?

Rondo has to work OT for his next contract. Especially on a rebuilding celts squad. His agent might be advising him to leave.

Please lets put this issue to sleep one way or the other

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 05:30:41 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
 I wouldn't be so depressed. We did draft a big time point guard prospect. I don't think Sacramento and New York are our only trade partners. Detroit or Indiana are also possibilities if we are aggressive and willing to possibly eat a bad contract. Hibbert, Hill and future 1st round picks for Rondo, Bass and Anthony might be a possibility. A deal in which Monroe is a s/t along with us eating the Jennings contract in exchange for the same three Celtics might be doable. Another possibility, a 3way with Rondo to Phoenix, s/t Bledsoe to Detroit, s/t Monroe to the Celtics and have us eat the Jennings contract. We would send Bass and Anthony to Detroit. I think there are Rondo deals that can be done but we just might have to overpay slightly for guys like Hibbert and Monroe in their contracts plus take on a bad contract but I think it's still worth it. Waiting to sign that blockbuster free agent is fool's gold. This franchise has no history of ever attracting that kind of free agent.

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 05:57:52 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
why would Indiana give up Hibbert for Rondo. Too many on this site over-value Rondo and undervalue Hibbert. So Hibbert had a bad year, unless there is something personal going on with him that Indiana needs to trade him they are not giving him up at all, much less giving him up in a fire sale.

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 06:01:29 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
The Celtics were screwed when Rondo inconveniently got injured right when his tradeability was highest: with two years remaining on his deal so he couldn't just threaten not to re-sign. The injury also lowered his value just due to it being a serious one and we didn't even get to see a 100% Rondo all last season.

And about Rondo being a head case, we've heard these reports before. It's nothing new. It seems like Doc, Pierce, Garnett, and Allen all had their own frustrations dealing with the guy.

This whole Rondo situation being unresolved means the franchise can't figure out what direction they need to take. I think they're holding out hope a star becomes available but after the Love debacle they're probably resigned to either trading Rondo for peanuts at the deadline or hoping for a sign and trade. They really needed the Love deal to happen for them, but it's not clear if their offer was ever even seriously considered.

Besides, do we really think Ainge would give Rondo the supermax? Because that's what it would take to keep him here. If the team still stinks and we offer the same money or less as a playoff team, Rondo is gone. The only way he stays is if we offer more money a la Carmelo Anthony and the Knicks. And at least that was New York, the biggest market of all. However, why would Ainge want to do that? Rondo isn't worth it, not on a rebuilding team, not on any team that realistically is trying to win a title. Basically you could only justify it if you're the Nets and you have an unlimited budget or you're a desperate team that is happy with being OK again.

If Smart has a solid to good rookie season then Rondo is gone no matter what happens.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 07:10:54 AM by obnoxiousmime »

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 06:13:48 AM »

Offline Global Celtic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 84
Rondo CAN'T be the leader of a good team. There's evidence about that during the last years (Proof#48: http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/25/rajon-rondo-skips-celtics-trip-to-sacramento-without-permission-may-face-team-discipline/).

When KG, Paul and Ray were in town, he was an OK influence because he's a gamer, he's tough and he's talented. But he can only be a good influence if he's got someone "higher" than him in the hierarchy. On the floor, he stops the motion on offense because he overthinks the game; on deffense, he gambles a lot and doesn't even try most of the times. So, I'm wishing for years to open my computer, open CelticsBlog and see the title "Bye Rajon. And thank you".

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2014, 06:28:12 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
why would Indiana give up Hibbert for Rondo. Too many on this site over-value Rondo and undervalue Hibbert. So Hibbert had a bad year, unless there is something personal going on with him that Indiana needs to trade him they are not giving him up at all, much less giving him up in a fire sale.
I must admit that I have never thought of Rondo as fire sale talent.

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2014, 08:53:19 AM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
I'm critical of Danny in some of his trade stances,  but with Rondo I have no doubt in him.  He'll do the exact right thing.   He'll either get great value or force him to give up a ton of money by going somewhere else.   Plus,  I just don't believe Jackie.  I don't believe Rondo has actually gone to the Celts and told them anything.

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2014, 09:07:05 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
i'd really like to not take Bledsoe in return. guard for guard is stupid and he's not that good.

if he wants out? trade 'em to sacramento.

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2014, 09:18:49 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Ehh, Jackie is a fantastic writer. Really, hall of fame worthy.

But she's never the one to "break" a huge rumor and best everybody to it.

I'll wait until some more credible guys report this.

It would be surprising, but not the end of the world...
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2014, 09:26:06 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Wow Jackie Mac. Telling telling tales out of school. Good way to get blacklisted.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2014, 09:29:43 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Rondo CAN'T be the leader of a good team. There's evidence about that during the last years (Proof#48: http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/25/rajon-rondo-skips-celtics-trip-to-sacramento-without-permission-may-face-team-discipline/).

When KG, Paul and Ray were in town, he was an OK influence because he's a gamer, he's tough and he's talented. But he can only be a good influence if he's got someone "higher" than him in the hierarchy. On the floor, he stops the motion on offense because he overthinks the game; on deffense, he gambles a lot and doesn't even try most of the times. So, I'm wishing for years to open my computer, open CelticsBlog and see the title "Bye Rajon. And thank you".

We haven't even seen Rondo play at 100% full health without portions of the big three.  There should be no judgement on whether he can lead a team or not at this point.

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2014, 09:51:30 AM »

Offline Eric M VAN

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 61
  • No no no, not THAT "Eric M Van".
Odd this hasn't gotten more traction considering people are diggin for NBA news during the down days before training camp regardless of the veracity of the news.

Since we're all Celtics "fans" maybe news like this would only be big to us and no one else would find it interesting (I doubt that).

I find it curious they wouldn't have run with this as part of their blah blah for that day.

I've always found JM's articles good stuff, but as said above, I'm not sure how "inside" she is.....what's the quote? "I've been telling people this but no one believes me"?

Why would no one believe her?  Does she have a history of floating BS?

This was Wednesday so It's been 4 days since this got "out there" .... Wouldn't one of the radio  contrarian's like Felger or Tanguay love to chum the waters with a tidbit like this? This is also ripe for the tweet-dumb nation...I'd expect some Bleacher Feature "reporter" would be waving his or her arms around about this given the amount of time that's passed.

There's always so much BS that get's out there when there's no news, I'd really have to hear it from another source.......and then just shrug.

Who knows if she's reading the tea leaves correctly.

"Because there are no fours."
-- Antoine Walker when asked why he shoots so many threes

"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees."
-Jason Kidd