Author Topic: Jackie Mac "Rondo has told the Celtics he wants out- it will happen"  (Read 67174 times)

Re: Jackie Mac "Rondo has told the Celtics he wants out- it will happen"
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2014, 01:18:55 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
There isn't much to this. Rondo very likely has expressed that he wants the max and moves made or he wants out. That isn't hard to believe and should be assumed given what we know about Rondo. Rondo wants to win and earn top dollars just like 75% of the league. As for the "he is gone", ever since Love deal collapsed people have been assuming Rondo is gone. What isn't true is the 80 cents on the dollar. Rondo is healthy and is still a great PG. Plenty of teams need a good PG so there is a market.

« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2014, 01:20:06 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
And chance of trading rondo to okc for westy?

« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2014, 01:29:00 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
I agree with some others throughout this thread and call "bull s" on Jackie MacMullan's "report."

It just doesn't add up.

Why are we suddenly hearing about this now and not earlier in the offseason?

Don't buy it.

That said, if it's true, I stand by my Brooklyn idea.

They would consider it for cap relief so they can be players in free agency in the next few years.

For the Celts, not only do they return to being competitive, but perhaps other free agents would now consider Boston because they'd have a better roster.

Also, I am not quite sure how the Celts "fleeced" the Nets in the KG/Pierce trade last year.

Brooklyn gave up 3 picks, but it's not like they became worse by adding KG and Pierce.

If they really want, give them one of their picks back.

Let's not forget, we also got strapped with Gerald Wallace's contract.

You're hearing about it now because the Kevin Love trade was just completed.  This team will be lucky to sniff 30 wins this season, even with Rondo healthy.  If Danny had managed to bring Love to Boston, things would be different - make a couple other moves, and a Rondo/Love combo gets you into the playoffs, certainly. 

And Jackie Mac's about as credible a reporter as there is for Boston sports.  If you don't want to believe her...  I hope you've got some q-tips to clean the sand out of your ears.

« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2014, 01:30:11 PM »

Offline FreddieJ

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 7
For awhile I have thought that Rondo may have been offended about being almost traded to the kings.. He skipped the following game in Sacramento

« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2014, 01:34:50 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
I think this might be the most infamous swap deal of the last 2 or 3 years. Besides Asik for Ryno and maybe Griffin for Love. I might be forgetting one.

« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2014, 01:38:32 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Maybe if you trade Rondo, Sully and Green for Westbrook and Perk.

« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2014, 01:41:37 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I doubt Jackiemac is talking out of her behind.  She's probably heard a lot of talk about a Rondo trade but I flat out don't believe Rondo has demanded a trade.

1.  Rondo is a different kind of dude and isn't going to excited about starting over in a new franchise and city.

2.  Rondo has to know his trade value is very low.

3.  If Rondo wants to be The Man, Boston is the easiest place to make that happen.

I can certainly see Rondo getting traded if he plays well next season.  I don't think he's told Ainge "trade me or else", which is what Jackie was implying.

Mike

« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2014, 01:44:44 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
I agree with some others throughout this thread and call "bull s" on Jackie MacMullan's "report."

It just doesn't add up.

Don't buy it.

They would consider it for cap relief so they can be players in free agency in the next few years.

For the Celts, not only do they return to being competitive, but perhaps other free agents would now consider Boston because they'd have a better roster.

Also, I am not quite sure how the Celts "fleeced" the Nets in the KG/Pierce trade last year.

Brooklyn gave up 3 picks, but it's not like they became worse by adding KG and Pierce.

You're hearing about it now because the Kevin Love trade was just completed.  This team will be lucky to sniff 30 wins this season, even with Rondo healthy.  If Danny had managed to bring Love to Boston, things would be different - make a couple other moves, and a Rondo/Love combo gets you into the playoffs, certainly. 

And Jackie Mac's about as credible a reporter as there is for Boston sports.  If you don't want to believe her...  I hope you've got some q-tips to clean the sand out of your ears.

I don't think the Celtics will "lucky" to win 30 wins, I think they'll win over 30 wins especially if Rondo is healthy. As for the rumor, it hasn't pick much steam except on SB nation, but I will follow it closely.

« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2014, 02:00:08 PM »

Offline KJR

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 37
Rondo is a smart guy.

Why would he negotiate an extension with one team before the trade deadline when he can simply wait until the end of the year and negotiate with all teams.

He can choose the best combination - location, winning team, coach and money ... and he can use the Celtics potential max deal as leverage.  He'll have more leverage with more competition for his services.  He can also better establish his value by playing out the season.  Negotiate now and he's not going to get the best extension.

He knows all this.

IMO no way he agrees to an extension before the end of the season.  No extension, no value back to the Celtics.  No value back to the Celtics, no trade.

He doesn't want to move for a 3 month rental.  He wants max control (because like Ray he's a control freak ... in a good way).

Unless he's a team-killer, there's no way Ainge moves him for low value.  He has a lot of value in mentoring the young kids and helping Smart through his rookie season.  He helps the development and value of every other player.  If he's gone, the team is probably not maximizing the value of everyone else.  From his perspective and from the Celtics perspective, the smart move is to play out the year.

By far the likeliest scenario IMO is Rondo plays out the year with the Celtics and tests free-agency next summer.

« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2014, 02:03:02 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

It just doesn't add up.

Don't buy it.

The Love deal's been done for quite some time. I doubt the official announcement of it impacted anything.

A quick question for people who think the rumor is true. Why would we have only have heard about this from an off the air clip of a tv show? Why wouldn't she actually report it? Has anyone seen claims by any credible reporter that Rondo's definitively told the team that he's leaving? Because if not it would have been quite a story to break. It's not like the story was new either. She'd known for a while that Rondo was definitely leaving the Celts yet never reported something that major that nobody else knew? Why would that be?

« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2014, 02:07:38 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Rondo is a smart guy.

Why would he negotiate an extension with one team before the trade deadline when he can simply wait until the end of the year and negotiate with all teams.

He can choose the best combination - location, winning team, coach and money ... and he can use the Celtics potential max deal as leverage.  He'll have more leverage with more competition for his services.  He can also better establish his value by playing out the season.  Negotiate now and he's not going to get the best extension.

The best extension he can get (by a decent amount) is with the team that controls his rights at the end of this season. If Rondo wanted to go to (just to pick a random team) Denver, would he rather have them trade for him so they could sign him for the maximum amount of money or would he rather wait out the season and sign with them for less money and fewer years?

« Reply #71 on: August 31, 2014, 02:18:13 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I like Jackie, but I don't believe this for a minute. I don't see Danny trading his captain and best player.

I imagine you probably thought he'd never trade Paul Pierce either. I'll admit I was unsure he'd pull the trigger until he did. Then I remember that he's Danny Ainge and he'd trade his mother if it made the Celtics better.

But I am not so sure trading Rondo makes us better.

I really hope he doesn't go through with that rumored awful Sacramento deal with McLemore, Wiliams and a pick.

That would be a disaster

A Rondo trade never makes us better. But it's better than having him leave for nothing as a free agent right?
I mean technically if he really only wants to stay with Boston if we've got a championship capable team then he's doing the right thing by telling them now and early so we can make the right move...he helps us and we help him.
His only rule is he will not guarantee to re-sign anywhere that he's traded to, so Sacramento has probably asked for Rondo but only if he re-signs. Rondo has said sorry I won't guarantee that and Sacto says well no one else will give up as much as us so when Rondo really does want that max extension as a free agent then he'll get the Celtics to help by a sign and trade ans Sacto to help by giving us at least McLemore.
Sacto may have always been willing to give Rondo the max if he agrees to an extension and he's saying nah not just yet I wanna see where else I can get the max. I'm just not sure any other teams will offer up the max...I mean maybe New York or Houston but problem is they don't have that much to offer either.
 If he's leaving us I don't see how you can expect to get more than some young players and picks and we should be thankful he's letting us know early.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #72 on: August 31, 2014, 02:19:32 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

It just doesn't add up.

Don't buy it.

The Love deal's been done for quite some time. I doubt the official announcement of it impacted anything.

A quick question for people who think the rumor is true. Why would we have only have heard about this from an off the air clip of a tv show? Why wouldn't she actually report it? Has anyone seen claims by any credible reporter that Rondo's definitively told the team that he's leaving? Because if not it would have been quite a story to break. It's not like the story was new either. She'd known for a while that Rondo was definitely leaving the Celts yet never reported something that major that nobody else knew? Why would that be?

This is important, actually, because it's clear that the clip is mostly just the same sort of speculative BS'ing that takes up a large part of what we do here on a far more regular basis.

The takeaway, though, is that she's positive that Rondo's 'definitely' leaving the Celtics, but she isn't getting enough people to go on the record with it to write a legitimate story about it (that is, at least, how it appears to me).
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #73 on: August 31, 2014, 02:34:10 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Rondo is a smart guy.

The best extension he can get (by a decent amount) is with the team that controls his rights at the end of this season. If Rondo wanted to go to (just to pick a random team) Denver, would he rather have them trade for him so they could sign him for the maximum amount of money or would he rather wait out the season and sign with them for less money and fewer years?

To add to this point, the team that has control of his contract also gains the ability to sign him over the salary cap. If he waited it out and became a free agent he can still get max money but his team would be crippled slightly because they don't hold his bird rights.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #74 on: August 31, 2014, 02:34:15 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

This is important, actually, because it's clear that the clip is mostly just the same sort of speculative BS'ing that takes up a large part of what we do here on a far more regular basis.

The takeaway, though, is that she's positive that Rondo's 'definitely' leaving the Celtics, but she isn't getting enough people to go on the record with it to write a legitimate story about it (that is, at least, how it appears to me).

Following this narrative to it's conclusion, if one were to buy into, this would assume Danny doesn't really want to trade Rondo and would prefer to add to Rondo. But, if Danny reaches the final conclusion he can't put pieces next to Rondo, he'll deal him.

I don't think this is farfetched at all, but who knows, Danny keeps his cards close to the vest.   Jackie Mac likely isn't going on record because she should know all too well how unpredictable Danny is.