Author Topic: Sports Illustrated rank Celtics 3rd worst team in East. Nets won't make playoffs  (Read 18410 times)

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

I think the rope for Brad, Danny AND Wyc (at least in my eyes) will extend through this upcoming season and THAT'S IT.

If this time next year, we are still talking about rebuilding and not talking about a competitive basketball team, then I think there's going to be some people on the hot seat over at Causeway Street and I can promise I will not wait around yet another year.

The rebuild stuff might be fun for some people, but in this city, taking a 5-10 year rebuild approach just isn't going to fly.

Oh, Puh-lease.  I don't know if you followed pro sports in the 20th century, but if you did, you should know that besides the Celtics, Boston teams were pretty much a pile of hot garbage.  And even then, fans still turned out.  And the Celtics have won one champhionship since Ronald Reagan was president.  And yet, somehow, the fans show up.  At least not all of them are inpatient, what-have-you-done-for-me-lately? types.

If Celtics fans want to cut bait on Danny, Wyc, and Co after two losing seasons, then they don't deserve a GM and owner as awesome as those two.  Danny inherited a pupu platter of a roster and within 5 years had built a champion, all without getting lucky in the draft or without luring a big time free agent.  Do you know how rare that is?  Do people not remember what it was like when this franchise was owned by Gaston Jr and ran by Chris Wallace?

I don't know if it is a sign of today's society or what, but the demand for instant gratification today just baffles me.

Okay, and the acceptance of mediocrity that some people have just baffles me, so I guess we are even.
Huh, I had no clue that not demanding instant gratification made accepting mediocrity mandatory.

And when did I say I wanted "instant gratification"?

If I want to see my team play well, why is that labeled as "instant gratification"?

I am really getting sick and tired of having 5th grade arguments with some people on this site, seriously!!

As long as I live, I will NEVER understand the joy that some fans of the NBA's greatest franchise find in "rebuilding" - putting terrible basketball on the floor without a sign of light at the end of the tunnel, which is precisely what the situation is for the coming season. There is NOTHING fun or interesting about losing basketball. NOTHING.

Good post, gpap. Right now, in the wake of a totally lost summer it looks like the Pitino Era Part Deux. Totally unacceptable stewardship of the greatest franchise in the league, and totally unacceptable to me as a fan. Grousbeck and Ainge have a responsibility to the tradition of excellence that this franchise stands for to do better. They struck out this summer.

There had better be some answers. And soon.

Ultimatums!!! If there aren't answers satisfactory to you, you won't do anything, except advocate firing Ainge. You will be in the minority.

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

I think the rope for Brad, Danny AND Wyc (at least in my eyes) will extend through this upcoming season and THAT'S IT.

If this time next year, we are still talking about rebuilding and not talking about a competitive basketball team, then I think there's going to be some people on the hot seat over at Causeway Street and I can promise I will not wait around yet another year.

The rebuild stuff might be fun for some people, but in this city, taking a 5-10 year rebuild approach just isn't going to fly.

Oh, Puh-lease.  I don't know if you followed pro sports in the 20th century, but if you did, you should know that besides the Celtics, Boston teams were pretty much a pile of hot garbage.  And even then, fans still turned out.  And the Celtics have won one champhionship since Ronald Reagan was president.  And yet, somehow, the fans show up.  At least not all of them are inpatient, what-have-you-done-for-me-lately? types.

If Celtics fans want to cut bait on Danny, Wyc, and Co after two losing seasons, then they don't deserve a GM and owner as awesome as those two.  Danny inherited a pupu platter of a roster and within 5 years had built a champion, all without getting lucky in the draft or without luring a big time free agent.  Do you know how rare that is?  Do people not remember what it was like when this franchise was owned by Gaston Jr and ran by Chris Wallace?

I don't know if it is a sign of today's society or what, but the demand for instant gratification today just baffles me.

Okay, and the acceptance of mediocrity that some people have just baffles me, so I guess we are even.
Huh, I had no clue that not demanding instant gratification made accepting mediocrity mandatory.

If I want to see my team play well, why is that labeled as "instant gratification"?

I am really getting sick and tired of having 5th grade arguments with some people on this site, seriously!!

As long as I live, I will NEVER understand the joy that some fans of the NBA's greatest franchise find in "rebuilding" - putting terrible basketball on the floor without a sign of light at the end of the tunnel, which is precisely what the situation is for the coming season. There is NOTHING fun or interesting about losing basketball. NOTHING.

Good post, gpap. Right now, in the wake of a totally lost summer it looks like the Pitino Era Part Deux. Totally unacceptable stewardship of the greatest franchise in the league, and totally unacceptable to me as a fan. Grousbeck and Ainge have a responsibility to the tradition of excellence that this franchise stands for to do better. They struck out this summer.

You're part of the reason why guys like Charles Barkley call Boston fans self-entitled and whiny.  Ainge is working hard, he doesn't just get stuff handed to him like LA or NY.  We look nothing like the Pitino era, we are accumilating draft picks and young assets.

Pitino's moves were the perfect example of instant gratification.  He was constantly swinging for the fences to win now without any sense of patience or development.  That's exactly what you're begging for, while dissing it and comparing the current Celtics to it.  You make no sense whatsoever.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

Everybody wants to see their team play well.  Saying that you'll only wait one year for it to happen is something else entirely.  Immediately becoming a title contender is not always reasonable.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

http://www.si.com/nba/2014/08/25/easter ... iers-bulls

1. Cleveland
2. Chicago
3. Washington
4. Toronto
5. Atlanta
6. Charlotte
7. Miami
8. New York

9. Brooklyn
10. Indiana
11. Detroit
12. Orlando
13. Boston
14. Milwaukee
15. Philadelphia

http://www.si.com/nba/2014/08/27/wester ... rs-thunder

1. San Antonio
2. Oklahoma City
3. LA Clippers
4. Golden State
5. Dallas
6. Portland
7. Houston
8. Memphis

9. Denver
10. New Orleans
11. Phoenix
12. Sacramento
13. Minnesota
14. LA Lakers
15. Utah
[/quote]

Cs get clippers pick,

As for the East, I think Miami will be 4th. The Cs, Pistons and Magic will all be around the same level. Indy may possibly falling into this group if they cant produce offense.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

You're part of the reason why guys like Charles Barkley call Boston fans self-entitled and whiny.  Ainge is working hard, he doesn't just get stuff handed to him like LA or NY.  We look nothing like the Pitino era, we are accumilating draft picks and young assets.

Pitino's moves were the perfect example of instant gratification.  He was constantly swinging for the fences to win now without any sense of patience or development.  That's exactly what you're begging for, while dissing it and comparing the current Celtics to it.  You make no sense whatsoever.

I agree with mgent.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be

Well said.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Man.....I got us pegged for a sure thing Lottery team.

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I'm going with the kool aid pick, where Rondo goes Eff The World and leads us into the playoffs. 

We've got some great athletes who are regarded average ball players.  I see Stevens taking that and spinning out a top notch defense.  Also feel like Mockus Smott turns into Eric Bledsoe 2.0, playing well off the ball next to Rajon.

Biggest question in my mind is Zeller.  if he can at least appear big and block a few shots, could really open things up for Oly and Sully's game.   

Jeff Green is due for a turnaround too, and will benefit from Smott and Rondo.   Wallace keeping em honest in the locker room--- I don't know, seems like in the wide open East this group of athletes led by one supremely talented and hard-headed point guard could surprise.   

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623
I'm going with the kool aid pick, where Rondo goes Eff The World and leads us into the playoffs. 

We've got some great athletes who are regarded average ball players.  I see Stevens taking that and spinning out a top notch defense.  Also feel like Mockus Smott turns into Eric Bledsoe 2.0, playing well off the ball next to Rajon.

Biggest question in my mind is Zeller.  if he can at least appear big and block a few shots, could really open things up for Oly and Sully's game.   

Jeff Green is due for a turnaround too, and will benefit from Smott and Rondo.   Wallace keeping em honest in the locker room--- I don't know, seems like in the wide open East this group of athletes led by one supremely talented and hard-headed point guard could surprise.

Right there with you...somehow I see the C's similar to Phoenix last year...No one expected much but they played great team ball.
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
The Suns finished with nearly 50 wins in an incredibly tough conference, mostly because they've got a better team (and a better coach)
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

Thank you mgent. A tp for you.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
The Suns finished with nearly 50 wins in an incredibly tough conference, mostly because they've got a better team (and a better coach)
I think we are in the ball park.  Your talking about a Suns team who featured the one and only Gerald Green.

Side by side, I think we matchup as good as if not better.  What they had in spades was chemistry, remains to be seen what this C's group can muster in that dept...

Rajon      =  Dragic
Smart     =  Bledsoe
Jeff         >  Gerald
Oly/Sully >  Morris twins
Zeller      =  Frye

In my mind it comes down to what kind of leader Rajon wants to be.

Can he get more from less the way Dragic can ---or does RR only shine when all his teammates are All Stars?  We'll go where ever he decides to take us, IMHO...

fitzhickey

I think we are in the ball park.  Your talking about a Suns team who featured the one and only Gerald Green.

Side by side, I think we matchup as good as if not better.  What they had in spades was chemistry, remains to be seen what this C's group can muster in that dept...

Rajon      =  Dragic
Smart     =  Bledsoe
Jeff         >  Gerald
Zeller      =  Frye

In my mind it comes down to what kind of leader Rajon wants to be.

Can he get more from less the way Dragic can ---or does RR only shine when all his teammates are All Stars?  We'll go where ever he decides to take us, IMHO...
Rondo's play wasn't equal to Dragic to last year, and Smart still hasn't even touched a real NBA court.

Gerald Green's per36 stats are considerably better than Green, while shooting higher percentages, and Jeff Greens defensive rating was 109 last year. Gerald's was 108.

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

No one thought they were going to win nearly 50 games last year because no one thought they were a good team or had a good coach.  Phoenix did a lot better than expected and Boston can do the same.

Mike

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Rajon      =  Dragic
Smart     =  Bledsoe
Jeff         >  Gerald
Zeller      =  Frye

Asking Smart to be than Bledsoe this year is beyond optimistic.   He may well be down the road but as a rookie, I do not see him unseating AB.    Here is a dollar to put under your pillow.