Author Topic: What does this team need more right now?  (Read 4914 times)

What does this team need more right now?
« on: August 29, 2014, 10:42:43 AM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Saw this on BR and found it interesting in terms of what to focus on first. Just wanted to see what others thought.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2174140-diagnosing-boston-celtics-remaining-roster-flaws

For the sake of this argument, which of the following should we address prior to the season:

1. Overcrowded front court
2. Overcrowded back court
3. Lack of real perimeter threats
4. Lack of a real defensive presence, or
5. Lack of a go to scorer

IMO 1 and 2 are just the most glaring, hurtful to young players, and reasonable to fix. Moving 2-3 guys could address  point 3 and/or 4. Point 5 is not a real issue now.

The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

Re: What does this team need more right now?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 10:51:51 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
I would address 5 first but that's not happening at this point prior to opening night.   This team lacks an alpha dog right now badly. 

They do have to shed some of this backcourt which they will.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 10:55:16 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Point 5 is a big issue.  Good teams needs those players for those scorers.  The Celtics do not have one. 

The overcrowded issue is an issue because the Celtics are loaded with equivalent talent at those points, but no talent that would be considered "exceptionable"  (A healthy motivated Rondo is the exception) 

There is no reason to fix issue one or two if it doesn't improve the long term assets for the Celtics. 

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 11:33:23 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I guess I'd go with number 2.  The team's flaw that needs the most attention right now is a center.  One that is a defensive presence and an offensive presence.  I don't think we can likely address that prior to the season.  Same thing with options 3 through 5.

Plus we don't even have a lot of frontcourt depth.  We have 4 capable bigs and then 2 injury reserves who will put us at a huge disadvantage if they actually have to fill in for anybody.  We should really be looking for frontcourt help, not trying to give Bass away for nothing.  Crowding in the backcourt is much more evident, specifically with Bogans who is taking up a spot that could be CJ or Pressey.

Really, cutting backcourt players is the only thing on that list we can do.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 12:03:11 PM »

Offline Eric M VAN

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 61
  • No no no, not THAT "Eric M Van".
#6 Training camp to start.
"Because there are no fours."
-- Antoine Walker when asked why he shoots so many threes

"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees."
-Jason Kidd

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 12:37:00 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Good players. This team needs more good players. Right now.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 12:45:50 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
yeah we need a star/go to scorer. without it, this team is a rooster running around with it's head cut off.

get that and everything else falls into place and you know where you're heading.

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 01:21:21 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I'd say #1 as it is key to getting another piece.
We need to trade one of our power forwards with a draft pick, guard, filler for a position we need help with
zeller is a very good backup center imo, as a starter  ::) solid i guess, but he does show promise
bass is a good solid backup pf , sully is a the same but with more potential to be a solid starter, kelly good solid backup who can give you minutes and a different skill set at center
If we can move one of these guys (to me bass or sully) with a draft pick and filler for an upgrade it will help.
to me the most important thing for the coming season is going to be defensive unit working very well together
I think we can get away with zeller, fav and kelly at center position because our exterior defense looks like it could be very good: rondo, smart, bradley, green all good-very good defenders that can force opposing players into pressure.  To me that means you don't need bill russell behind them but just a tall guy to bother shots.
Also team rebounding which I feel we should be very good at
its the offense that'll be the ?
rondo back 100%, bradley plays within the team game but shoots well, jeff green consistent, sully and kelly improve, bass stays steady, zeller playing with rondo can give us 10 and 10, evan turner plays like in philly but becomes efficient  ::) , thornton plays like vinnie johnson
yeah offense is a stretch  ;D
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 01:27:18 PM by 2short »

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 01:22:56 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Shooting guards.

Man, I just can't get me enuff sum shooting guards!

We need to corner the market on freaking shooting guards!!!

Right now, our starting lineup is solid:

Bradley
Thornton
Smart
Turner
Young

But our bench is thin.  Only a handful of guys left who can play SG -- only Chris Johnson, Chris Babb and Keith Bogans. 

Sure, Wallace or Green can be asked to play SG in a pinch.  But who wants posers?

And McGruder is just here for the training camp check and a bus ticket to Maine.

We clearly need to dump sum of the oversized deadweight on this roster and get sum more quality shooting guards!
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 01:36:40 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
#4 - lack of interior defensive presence

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 09:43:48 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
a rim protector and a young PP - a crunch time scorer

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2014, 09:53:23 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Get a player that combines both 3 and 5, a go to scorer that is a perimeter threat.

Then go for 4.

We have the complimentary players.

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2014, 09:54:49 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Good players. This team needs more good players. Right now.
I think we have a lot of 'good' players --> players I consider NBA rotation quality (role) players.

what we have is too many of these 'good' players and not enough very good or great players --> players that provide an advantage over the player playing the same position on the opposing team.  Only player we can really say that about is Rondo unless the other team really has a weakness at forward where Green or Sully might provide a slight advantage.

at this point, I don't see those better players coming in a trade unless Sully, KO, Zeller, AB, Smart or even Young show they're very good players this year or show they're good with signs of significant upside.  C's are going to either get lucky in the draft or hit it in free agency.  Next offseason C's will hopefully be in the position to do both

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2014, 10:12:05 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
We haven't had a great center since Shaq.  That's the position we're starving the most.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2014, 11:29:59 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
This team needs some real fortitude and use that fortitude to TANK HARD FOR OKAFOR OR TOWNS.