Author Topic: Two Part Celtics History Question  (Read 2250 times)

Two Part Celtics History Question
« on: August 28, 2014, 10:58:03 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
1.  What was the worst move, in your view, that the Celtics made in the late 1980s?  For me, it's the trade of Ainge and Lohaus.  Why trade Danny when DJ was soon to retire and Brian Shaw was hardly a world beater.  Didn't the Lakers want Shaw, anyway?  Couldn't we have traded him for their first round pick in 1989 (Vlade), which brings me to number two -

2.  How much of a difference would Tim Hardaway have been from 89-90 to 91-92, especially if we had kept Ainge?  A three guard rotation of Hardaway, Reggie, and Danny is more than a match for Detroit's vaunted trio, and when you factor in the play of the Big 3, we would have been even more lethal and could have made the finals in at least one of those three seasons.  Larry wouldn't have had to do so much, and his presence would have allowed those guys (Hardaway and Reggie) to absolutely flourish.  Talk about a lost chance to retool.  With Hardaway, we don't lose to the Knicks in 1990, and with Ainge and McHale (along with Lohaus who always played better when Bird was there, especially against Detroit) off the bench - look out.  That team is loaded.  All we would have had to have done is jettison Jim Paxson.  Anywhere lol.  Leave him at a rest stop, I don't care haha.  For starters, our rotation would have been -

PG - Hardaway/Ainge
SG - Reggie/Ainge
SF - Gamble
PF - Bird/McHale/Lohaus
C - Chief/McHale/Lohaus

How far do we go with such a group.  Obviously, we would have needed more than 8 players haha, especially a backup for Gamble, but that team is extremely dangerous.  Who else was out there at the time that we could have had, reasonably?  The three guys that jump out to me are John Starks, who played in the cba in 89-90, Anthony Mason, and Mario Elie.  Again, I'm just throwing out names here, because I don't know where or how Starks could have fit in on our team, but I do know this - that back court would have been awesome! 

So, how far do you think we could have gone in each of those seasons, and feel free to add players who you think would have helped out off the bench.  I'm just curious to see what people think, especially the long-time fans.  Thanks :)

Re: Two Part Celtics History Question
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 12:16:43 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Too hard too answer we can question any move because it's often a domino effect.

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 07:39:42 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Too hard too answer we can question any move because it's often a domino effect.

Oh, I'm well aware of that, but you won't even dare to dream, haha?

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 08:10:35 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Taking Michael Smith over Tim Hardaway or Shawn Kemp hurt!  In retrospace, I would have rather than Anthony Mason over Brian Shaw too.

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 12:07:55 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Taking Michael Smith over Tim Hardaway or Shawn Kemp hurt!  In retrospace, I would have rather than Anthony Mason over Brian Shaw too.

You know who really shot themselves in the foot even more than the Celtics, especially through the draft?  Portland.  They drafted guys like Drazen Petrovic, Kevin Gamble, and Anthony Mason all in the 3rd round :o from 86-88, and yet, they either released them (Gamble and Mason), or stupidly didn't give guys (Petrovic) enough playing time.  That Blazers team was already loaded - why not make Drazen the 6th man once he came stateside?  Forget Ainge, lol.

For Boston, yeah, okay, Brian Shaw was a pretty good player, but he really only became a factor as a key role player later on in his career.  Even at his peak (if he had one, haha), he couldn't hold Hardaway's jockstrap ;D  The Lakers wanted him anyway, so use that to your advantage and get a pick down the road from them, regardless if it's a late 1st rounder or not.  I really don't think that Brian Shaw would have been the difference in their attempt to 3-peat in 89, but I could be wrong (as is often the case, lol).  He could play 1-3, and along with Cooper, could have kept Magic and Scott's minutes down.  It's too bad that Byron couldn't play in the Finals that year, because that Lakers team was just annihilating the opposition, and even with mostly subs in game 2, they could have won, and probably would have had Magic not injured his hamstring.  I know that the Pistons were loaded, but with Scott (and Shaw, who knows?) and the way they were clicking in the playoffs that year, homecourt or not, I think that LA wins the title.

Sorry for the tangent.  Back to Shaw.  Did he sign with the Italian club after the draft or before it?  Either way, Hardaway was a clear upgrade, imo, and it would have been fun seeing Mason go at Rodman lol.  What a unique player.  6'7" with the quickness of a small forward and the size of a power forward with excellent passing skills.  He's probably the only guy who could have defended Aguirre in that 91 series, which was already incredibly close despite injuries on both sides. 

Hardaway, Lewis, Mason, Bird, and Parish, vs. Thomas, Dumars, Rodman, Edwards, and Laimbeer?  I like our chances, especially with Ainge.  The benches would have been equal, imo, and, the 86 Celtics aside, those Pistons teams had the best bench of all time in their first 3 guys :o  VJ, Salley, and Aguirre (wow), vs. Ainge, McHale, Gamble, and Lohaus, in addition to Mario Elie, perhaps?  Again, I like our chances.  Homecourt or not.  Just have McHale teach Mason post moves to get Rodman in foul trouble and watch out.  That team could have made the Finals, at least.  I mean, if Dee Brown could kill the Pistons and Bulls in the regular season and playoffs, imagine what Hardaway could have done.  WOW! :o

Elie, btw, was drafted in the 7th round by Milwaukee in 86.  He could have been a big time help on that 87 team, Bias or not.  Sigh.  Our scouts sucked lol.