Author Topic: Pacers forum mod: Green+Zeller+Young +Clippers pick+Philly pick for Hibbert  (Read 13226 times)

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

If you've got an opportunity to trade for someone like Hibbert, and all you've gotta give up is role players and a late first rounder it's a no brainer for me.

Who do you think Hibbert is?  He's never averaged more than 13 points or 9 boards and has never shot 50% from the floor.  And have you seen him play?  Hibbert has almost no natural athleticism.  He looks like Acie Earl running up and down the court.

If it's just Green, filler and the Clips pick, maybe.  I'm not giving up Zeller, Young and what will be two valuable, early second round picks for a guy who, in the best case scenario, makes us 1st round playoff losers.

Mike

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29
Why would they want green and get rid of hibbert? The whole point of acquiring green is so they would compete this year... Once George comes back... I doubt they would want to start both green and George... Or rent green just for this season. I mean a lineup of

Point gaurd
George
Green
West
Zeller

Is pretty darn good next year tho... But I don't see how this works we'll for them unless they really just want to get rid of hibbert. They would be worse off, this year.

Us on the other hand

Would have a lineup of

Rondo
Avery
Wallace
Sully
Hibbert

I mean We'd be a better defensive team then the pacers IMO but our offense would be worst then theirs... Which is pretty darn bad. We would need to acquire a scoring SF, maybe Rudy gay? I mean it's just too many question marks left unknown for both teams.

But I would admit

Rondo
Avery
Hibbert

Core for the next 3-4 years would be too 5 defensively. With smart coming off the bench. We would have a great defensive team. Maybe trade sully and picks for a scoring SF. Start Kelly at the PF. We would have a long team.

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
too much for Hibbert.  that putrid performance in the playoffs and questions about his mental makeup have really hurt his value. no need for a center that needs a motivational speech every game.

maybe Green, Zeller and Philly pick(s)/ Thornton.

Offline celticpride1

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 40
IS somebody smoking crack rock? Hell no people Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. about Wallace contract.Hibberts is worse. How can a 7 2 inch center not score in so many playoff games. I would rather play an 80 year old Bill Russell than Hibbert.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I'd probably do it.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Price is too high.

If I take on Hibbert, I'd want to keep Green for the season with him, and have a Rondo/Hibbert/Green thing.

And Zeller might do the job well enough anyway, which is what I think the fans in Indy would be thinking in doing the deal, at least next year when their star is back.

And all those picks!  Early 2nds are gold.

So it's not what I'd be looking for in a deal that gave up so many pieces.  That would be a deal for a more proven star player than Hibbert.

But swap Bass for Green, and I think we're talking...

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
Numbers wise, it may work...however, there is no way I would move Zeller and Young until I see how they play as Celtics. 

Hibbert's stock went down last year big time.  I'd rather suffer through another lousy year to have a shot at one of the premier big men in the 2015 draft than to give that up for Hibbert.

Rak

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

If you've got an opportunity to trade for someone like Hibbert, and all you've gotta give up is role players and a late first rounder it's a no brainer for me.

Who do you think Hibbert is?  He's never averaged more than 13 points or 9 boards and has never shot 50% from the floor.  And have you seen him play?  Hibbert has almost no natural athleticism.  He looks like Acie Earl running up and down the court.

If it's just Green, filler and the Clips pick, maybe.  I'm not giving up Zeller, Young and what will be two valuable, early second round picks for a guy who, in the best case scenario, makes us 1st round playoff losers.

Mike

I'm not sure people understand Hibbert's effect on the game.
He's the defensive anchor of the best defense in the NBA. He has the highest shot alteration percentage in the NBA from 0-5 feet from the basket.
Yes he struggled in this playoffs but he was DOMINANT against the Heat in 2 of the last 3 playoff series against them on the defensive end.

He's not a go to scorer- he's a defensive anchor who happens to have a post game.
He's also never played with a pass first point guard and he's been asked to become a second scoring option on a team that didn't have enough scoring options.

Again, he's the best player in the deal and he is what Vogel had built around to result in the best defense in the NBA last season. And people are questioning whether we should hold onto Tyler Zeller James Young and a pick between 25-30 if the opportunity arose.

"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269

Mike

He's the defensive anchor of the best defense in the NBA. He has the highest shot alteration percentage in the NBA from 0-5 feet from the basket.
Yes he struggled in this playoffs but he was DOMINANT against the Heat in 2 of the last 3 playoff series against them on the defensive end.

He's not a go to scorer- he's a defensive anchor who happens to have a post game.
He's also never played with a pass first point guard and he's been asked to become a second scoring option on a team that didn't have enough scoring options.

Again, he's the best player in the deal and he is what Vogel had built around to result in the best defense in the NBA last season. And people are questioning whether we should hold onto Tyler Zeller James Young and a pick between 25-30 if the opportunity arose.

Totally agree Chambers!!!  Defense is almost invariably always underrated.

Smitty77

Offline EvilEmpire

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
Hibbert is under contract for 14.8mil  next year and a PO for the following year of 15.5mil. There is too much risk to take on Hibbert.  Roy only averaged 10.8 pts  and 6.6 boards a game.

He has a bad year so he picks of the PO.

He has a great year he options out and we would be forced to possibly lock him up long term based on one year of play.

We also have Gerald Wallaces contract this year and next of 10mil. And Rondo is a FA. Not going to going to risk 25mil locked up on 2 guys that are not stars.

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Mike

Totally agree Chambers!!!  Defense is almost invariably always underrated.

Smitty77

Chambers nails it. It might be a lot of assets to give up but if you can get a guy like Hibbert you have to do it. We have plenty of assets just for this very reason.

fitzhickey

when motivated Hibbert is definitely a top 10 center, even arguably a top 5 depending if on your argument. But no matter what position (1-10), he gives us something we lacked since 2011 - a legit center that can rebound, and protect the rim. I kind of want to try to keep Green so that our starting lineup can be a little more complete, but if it takes Green to get Hibbert, I am all for it.

I think the deal in the OP makes a lot of sense. I will pull that trigger in a heart beat
LOL his whopping 7 rebounds a game!

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Hibbert is under contract for 14.8mil  next year and a PO for the following year of 15.5mil. There is too much risk to take on Hibbert.  Roy only averaged 10.8 pts  and 6.6 boards a game.

He has a bad year so he picks of the PO.

He has a great year he options out and we would be forced to possibly lock him up long term based on one year of play.

We also have Gerald Wallaces contract this year and next of 10mil. And Rondo is a FA. Not going to going to risk 25mil locked up on 2 guys that are not stars.

He's not meant to be a 20 point scorer on the Pacers though. The Pacers don't use him in the post enough. Rondo would help this problem and get him to the FT line way more. He should be attempting 7-8 free throws a game and yet he's only getting there 4 times.

His rebounding is also effected by the Pacers strategy of getting back on defense. If he's paired with Sullinger our rebounding will be completely fine.

Again, he is the anchor of the best defense in the NBA. This is the reason for getting him. Defense wins championships and he's a defensive monster with no injury history.

"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Why is everyone so quick to trade James Young?  We haven't even seen him play literally a minute for the Celtics.  Geesh.  Tough crowd.  Can we at least watch him play first?

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
If this was on the table it Danny would have already done it. Hibbert isn't overpaid at all and if we're going to use that criticism the same can be said of Jeff Green.

Moving Green's expiring (assuming he opts-out), Young, Zeller and a late first (plus 2nds) is an absolute coup even for a slumping center. I'd throw that same package at BKN for Lopez, at Denver for McGee and at MIL for Sanders. Any takers on that package for a legit center is a good gamble.

For the record I don't even like Roy Hibbert. I just think he's worth more than some late picks and Jeff Green.