Author Topic: Bos/Mil/GS Trade Proposal  (Read 4977 times)

Bos/Mil/GS Trade Proposal
« on: August 28, 2014, 02:00:11 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
The idea behind this three-way trade is two-fold. First, Sanders hasn't lived up to his potential, and he's fallen out of favor with Milwaukee. With the report that Sanders might come off the bench to start the year, this MAY indicate he's available for the rebuilding Bucks to gather more assets. Second, Golden State is in win-now mode, but it's highly unlikely that they'll be able to retain Klay Thompson with as much money as they have invested in their starting five. They need cheaper, young talent to support their main guys, and Klay's inevitable pay raise next year should put him out of their price range. Enter the Celtics.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=moly8dh (Could easily be two separate trades, too.)

Bos Out: Wallace, Bogans, Johnson, Babb, Smart, Clippers Pick, Phi Pick(s)
Bos In: Sanders, Mayo, Thompson

Mil Out: Sanders, Mayo
Mil In: Wallace, Bogans, Johnson, Babb, Clippers Pick

GS Out: Thompson
GS In: Smart, Phi Pick

Why Milwaukee does it: If Henson pans out as a starting C, then Sanders is an expensive backup. Swapping him with us would give them roughly 7 million in non-guaranteed deals to cut and two less years of a bad contract in Wallace. Furthermore, they would get a late first round pick for their trouble, along with getting out of the contract of Mayo, who I believe can still be redeemed in the right setting. If they would want another pick for him, I might consider a less favorable one.

Why Golden State does it: Klay is a perfect complement to Curry in the backcourt, because he has size, defense, and shooting to support him.  Smart would be a very similar fit in the backcourt next to Curry (sans the shooting), because he has decent size with excellent defense and physicality to make up for Curry's weaknesses. Furthermore, Smart can also handle the ball, something that Klay can't, and this would allow Curry to have more spot up opportunities off of Smart. Lastly, Smart is cost controlled for four years, and it allows them to keep their core intact and be competitive for years to come.

Why Boston does it: Losing Smart would hurt, but having both Rondo and Smart right now is too redundant. Replacing Smart for a young, sharp-shooting SF that we can have for years to come is invaluable, and we'll be able to lock him up for a long time next offseason. This trade would leave our depth chart like this:
PG: Rondo, Pressey
SG: Bradley, Mayo, Thornton, Young
SF: Thompson, Green, Turner
PF: Sully, Olynyk, Bass
C: Sanders, Zeller, Anthony
We could do some roster-space moves in dealing Green, Bass, and Thornton to clear the log jams, and I would say this roster could compete in a year or two. With Bradley's improved shooting, Thompson and Bradley would greatly complement Rondo's style, and they'd be a top defensive team between Sanders, Thompson, and Bradley. Also, they could run most lineups out of the gym.

Who says no?

Re: Bos/Mil/GS Trade Proposal
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 02:02:29 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Golden State definitely says no.

They wouldn't even give up Klay Thompson for Kevin Love, doubt they do it for Marcus Smart and a draft pick.

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 02:08:47 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
Yeah, but that was because of his vital importance in the backcourt. They didn't have anyone to replace him. If they were trading him for his actual replacement, who has a higher ceiling than Thompson imo, I think they would, since they know they probably won't be able to retain him next year. If they would insist on a better draft pick, then I would consider it. But I think it's a fair trade-off for them giving their particular positional and financial needs.

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 02:12:27 PM »

Offline puskas54_10

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 13
GS would never do it.
What's the business for the bucks? They lose fairly good players (Sanders, Mayo) for a bunch of garbage.

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 02:19:46 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
GS wouldn't do it, and I wouldn't do it for the C's. I'm not a big Klay Thompson fan.

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 02:20:29 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
GS would never do it.
What's the business for the bucks? They lose fairly good players (Sanders, Mayo) for a bunch of garbage.
Mayo's value has never been lower, and it's the same with Sanders. Plus, they would save money, get a first round pick, not have to worry about Sanders antics anymore, and trade an 11 million dollar bench player for four years for a 10 million dollar bench player for two years who would actually be a positive influence on their two star wing players.

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 02:22:37 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
GS wouldn't do it, and I wouldn't do it for the C's. I'm not a big Klay Thompson fan.

Who would realistically be a better fit for us long-term at the 3? Klay provides shooting and defense, both in better quantity/quality than similar players (GH and CP).

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 02:27:14 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Who would realistically be a better fit for us long-term at the 3? Klay provides shooting and defense, both in better quantity/quality than similar players (GH and CP).
Klay Thompson isn't a SF, he's a SG.

Klay isn't even that good of a defender, he's just flexible enough to defend 1 through 3. Not a game changer on that end.

I'm worried about the overall talent of the squad, moving a cost controlled rookie for a SG who will want a max deal in RFA isn't the way to go. Thompson is a solid starter, not an all-star talent.

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 02:36:23 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

Klay isn't even that good of a defender, he's just flexible enough to defend 1 through 3. Not a game changer on that end.

I'm worried about the overall talent of the squad, moving a cost controlled rookie for a SG who will want a max deal in RFA isn't the way to go. Thompson is a solid starter, not an all-star talent.

He's 6'7", the same size as Pierce. He's less bulky, but a little more athletic than Pierce was, so I think he's got the size to play the 3. Also, I think I disagree with you about him being an all-star talent. I think he's overshadowed by his teammates, but I definitely think he's a borderline all-star talent.

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 02:50:07 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
The idea behind this three-way trade is two-fold. First, Sanders hasn't lived up to his potential, and he's fallen out of favor with Milwaukee. With the report that Sanders might come off the bench to start the year, this MAY indicate he's available for the rebuilding Bucks to gather more assets. Second, Golden State is in win-now mode, but it's highly unlikely that they'll be able to retain Klay Thompson with as much money as they have invested in their starting five. They need cheaper, young talent to support their main guys, and Klay's inevitable pay raise next year should put him out of their price range. Enter the Celtics.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=moly8dh (Could easily be two separate trades, too.)

Bos Out: Wallace, Bogans, Johnson, Babb, Smart, Clippers Pick, Phi Pick(s)
Bos In: Sanders, Mayo, Thompson

Mil Out: Sanders, Mayo
Mil In: Wallace, Bogans, Johnson, Babb, Clippers Pick

GS Out: Thompson
GS In: Smart, Phi Pick

Why Milwaukee does it: If Henson pans out as a starting C, then Sanders is an expensive backup. Swapping him with us would give them roughly 7 million in non-guaranteed deals to cut and two less years of a bad contract in Wallace. Furthermore, they would get a late first round pick for their trouble, along with getting out of the contract of Mayo, who I believe can still be redeemed in the right setting. If they would want another pick for him, I might consider a less favorable one.

Why Golden State does it: Klay is a perfect complement to Curry in the backcourt, because he has size, defense, and shooting to support him.  Smart would be a very similar fit in the backcourt next to Curry (sans the shooting), because he has decent size with excellent defense and physicality to make up for Curry's weaknesses. Furthermore, Smart can also handle the ball, something that Klay can't, and this would allow Curry to have more spot up opportunities off of Smart. Lastly, Smart is cost controlled for four years, and it allows them to keep their core intact and be competitive for years to come.

Why Boston does it: Losing Smart would hurt, but having both Rondo and Smart right now is too redundant. Replacing Smart for a young, sharp-shooting SF that we can have for years to come is invaluable, and we'll be able to lock him up for a long time next offseason. This trade would leave our depth chart like this:
PG: Rondo, Pressey
SG: Bradley, Mayo, Thornton, Young
SF: Thompson, Green, Turner
PF: Sully, Olynyk, Bass
C: Sanders, Zeller, Anthony
We could do some roster-space moves in dealing Green, Bass, and Thornton to clear the log jams, and I would say this roster could compete in a year or two. With Bradley's improved shooting, Thompson and Bradley would greatly complement Rondo's style, and they'd be a top defensive team between Sanders, Thompson, and Bradley. Also, they could run most lineups out of the gym.

Who says no?
Milwaukee and GS say no.

Milwaukee isn't taking that garbage for 2 starters regardless of how they played last season.  Mayo also adds to the backlog at SG on this team.

GS isn't taking a rookie and a pick that will be 2 second rounders for a borderline all-star who can still get better.  Klay was the centerpiece in the Love trade talks.  he's worth much more than Smart and that pick.  Klay also adds the logjam at SG on this team.

While I'm not against getting those players at all, the deal is very lopsided in favor of the C's.  would probably have to swap out AB for Smart (or include him too) and replace Wallace with Green and probably Zeller or at least Fav to get Milwaukee to think about it.  would love to move Bass instead.

Also, even with those changes, Klay is a SG, not a SF regardless of being the same height as PP.  he's not nearly as physical as PP to play that spot. 

C's lineup would end up being:
Rondo, Klay, Turner, Sully, Sanders
Bench: KO, Bass, Mayo, Fav, Wallace, Pressey, Young, Thornton, Anthony.
Would think this is a better team than what we have but one that's about a 6 seed if lucky.  not a lot of room for growth from there either without some luck in the draft

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 03:01:02 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

He's 6'7", the same size as Pierce. He's less bulky, but a little more athletic than Pierce was, so I think he's got the size to play the 3. Also, I think I disagree with you about him being an all-star talent. I think he's overshadowed by his teammates, but I definitely think he's a borderline all-star talent.
If Klay is more athletic than young Paul Pierce I'd be rather shocked, because he doesn't utilize it on the court at all. Especially when it comes to attacking the rim.

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 03:06:49 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I just don't see the Warriors dealing Thompson.

I could literally see them shipping out either Lee, Bogut, Barnes or even Igoudala before Thompson.

He, along with Curry, seem to be the two untouchables in the Warriors roster right now.

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 08:47:35 PM »

Offline Nef-Oracle

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 5
Echo of Gsw & Milly slaming their phone down

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2014, 09:36:56 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
2 out of 10

10 being best. 1 being worst. Can't see G.S. wanting this trade they like Thompson and Curry back court.

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2014, 09:59:22 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Yeah, but that was because of his vital importance in the backcourt. They didn't have anyone to replace him. If they were trading him for his actual replacement, who has a higher ceiling than Thompson imo, I think they would, since they know they probably won't be able to retain him next year. If they would insist on a better draft pick, then I would consider it. But I think it's a fair trade-off for them giving their particular positional and financial needs.

I call into question your assessment of the situation since all signs point towards Golden State wanting to retain Thompson and probably being willing to match a max offer sheet in restricted free agency.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference