Author Topic: Sirius XM NBA Radio - Rondo Next  (Read 5129 times)

Sirius XM NBA Radio - Rondo Next
« on: August 28, 2014, 08:17:51 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I was listing to the morning show on Sirius XM NBA radio and they were just getting into talking about, now that the love deal is complete, what deal is next.  Frank Isola said that due to Rondo's insistence in testing free agency, he's going to be the next big name to be dealt.

I agree with him, but feel that since many of the teams have been busy during the summer, that a lot have already dealt away many of their assets that the Celtics may have wanted in return.  So, if Danny wants to trade him now, is he taking a discounted deal just to move him and risk losing him for nothing next summer?  I think he has backed himself into a corner in this case. 
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

Re: Sirius XM NBA Radio - Rondo Next
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 08:20:30 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I was listing to the morning show on Sirius XM NBA radio and they were just getting into talking about, now that the love deal is complete, what deal is next.  Frank Isola said that due to Rondo's insistence in testing free agency, he's going to be the next big name to be dealt.

I agree with him, but feel that since many of the teams have been busy during the summer, that a lot have already dealt away many of their assets that the Celtics may have wanted in return.  So, if Danny wants to trade him now, is he taking a discounted deal just to move him and risk losing him for nothing next summer?  I think he has backed himself into a corner in this case.

By the way that's cool that the NBA has their own station on Sirius radio.

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 09:32:26 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I fully believe the only way we trade Rondo is if we got some ridiculous offer that is too good to pass up.

I think Ainge has figured out that we're never going to get that ridiculous offer and we're never going to get what we'd like in return for him. I also believe Ainge is taking a calculated risk in letting Rondo make it to free agency to show him that no team(particularly one he would prefer playing for) will offer him a max deal. leaving Rondo in a position to just want to stay because he will get more money from us than any other team.

I just think if Rondo were getting traded it would be before the season started. if he's still by that time I see it playing out like that.

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 09:45:40 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I fully believe the only way we trade Rondo is if we got some ridiculous offer that is too good to pass up.

I think Ainge has figured out that we're never going to get that ridiculous offer and we're never going to get what we'd like in return for him. I also believe Ainge is taking a calculated risk in letting Rondo make it to free agency to show him that no team(particularly one he would prefer playing for) will offer him a max deal. leaving Rondo in a position to just want to stay because he will get more money from us than any other team.

I just think if Rondo were getting traded it would be before the season started. if he's still by that time I see it playing out like that.
why would Boston give him more money than any other team?  That doesn't make sense. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 09:55:52 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Not that the Celtics will give Rondo more money, but that they have the option to.

I don't think that Ainge is the one taking the risk, though -- Rondo's going to free agency because he can sign a bigger deal that way, with Boston or with another team.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 10:39:04 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Not that the Celtics will give Rondo more money, but that they have the option to.

I don't think that Ainge is the one taking the risk, though -- Rondo's going to free agency because he can sign a bigger deal that way, with Boston or with another team.

That's a good point. I'm still not sure that Ainge knows what he wants to do with Rondo yet. I think he's waiting to see how good Rondo can be after this knee issue and then he'll decide how much to spend. If Rondo even sniffs 15 points, 10 assists, 5 rebounds a game with a decent FG% then Ainge is probably going all in. Rondo's really our only connection to keeping us relevant. The way Ainge looks at things usually tends to be that the glass is half full.  So he's talking to Hibberts agent as much as he can, whilst working out if Rondo's gonna be the man he was- to take the reigns for the next 5 years. He's also thinking that if Marcus Smart has an amazing first season of rookie of the year level of play, that he's got a really good option of trading for another All Star, or moving Rondo after he's signed to a reasonable 4 year deal.

This is certainly possible, although I do think if the Kings are willing to pay Rudy Gay $19 million then they'd have to consider paying Rondo a max contract too. Morey would give him something pretty large too, and Cuban. I think he'll command at least 15-16 million over 4 years and depending on how much the Kings like him or how desperate Morey gets, he may be looking at a max deal. If Gordon Hayward gets 15 million Rondo's gonna git paaaiiidd. Doesn't matter if you think he's worth it or not, someone will pay.
Rondo is huge in China, he'd bring so much revenue to the Rockets and himself. A lot of C's fans may get their hearts broken next offseason. (Including mine)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 10:57:31 AM by chambers »
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 10:42:27 AM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75

so far it's been all talk and no names etc. I am really looking forward to see IF there are names instead of just the 'talk' of Rondo getting traded. For example, someone like Wojo reporting that he's heard rumors of Rondo for Monroe.... THAT's what I'm looking to hear about. I was thinking that right after Love went, that Bos/Pho/Det/Indiana would swap players in some form or fashion - especially since Evan Turner ISN'T signed yet and IND has a huge hole at SF/SG. BUT I guess not and we'll have to see which one of these GM blinks first. My guess is Bird or Stan Van Gundy blinks first

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 12:09:27 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen

why would Boston give him more money than any other team?  That doesn't make sense.

I think you answered this in your next post. what I was saying is we can offer more than what any other team can if i'm understanding these things correctly.

I think he'll get somewhere between a max deal and what other interested parties offer. just my opinion.

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 12:11:04 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I am not sure we know this to be true.  My read on everything I have heard Rondo say is that he wants to be able to decide where he goes.  I actually believe Rondo will make the decision more on the basketball situation than on money.

Rondo is also taking a big risk too.  If he has any kind of serious knee injury or just plain doesn't play that well, he is not going to get more money than he could get from Boston right now as an extension.  If fact the worst case scenario for him could be entering FA injured.  Sign an extension now for 3 more after this year and he locks up some pretty good money.  I think there is a ton of risk for Rondo

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 12:12:46 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen

that's why I said "calculated risk". as in there is definitely a chance some team(like sacramento) that Rondo doesn't prefer that offers him a max deal. but even then I still think it's an outside chance.

I think Danny is wanting the offers Rondo gets to dictate what our offers is.

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 02:21:06 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
It isn't unheard of that people tend to overvalue own assets. So, Danny might hold Rondo in high regard.

Likewise it isn't unheard of for people "on the outs" like 3rd party / other teams whom may also overvalue the other team's player(s). This has something to do with envy or covetting other people's property....."greener pastures" or whatever schtick it is.

I, most likely, fall into the category of the former and probably overvalue Rondo's past (proven) star production.

If I was DA, and I was able to be offered what was offered for K.Love.....then Rondo is traded. In terms of the job of a Basketball Ops, you make the decisons on value and high draft picks for Rondo (with matching salaries of course)....I make that deal every time.

In a business decison, personal feelings should be on the sidelines. (I'm not good at that.)

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 02:40:57 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I am not sure we know this to be true.  My read on everything I have heard Rondo say is that he wants to be able to decide where he goes.  I actually believe Rondo will make the decision more on the basketball situation than on money.

Rondo is also taking a big risk too.  If he has any kind of serious knee injury or just plain doesn't play that well, he is not going to get more money than he could get from Boston right now as an extension.  If fact the worst case scenario for him could be entering FA injured.  Sign an extension now for 3 more after this year and he locks up some pretty good money.  I think there is a ton of risk for Rondo

We absolutely know that he can get more money in free agency than by signing an extension or through a sign and trade, and while the on-the-court stuff is certainly important, I'm sure the difference in value that the Celtics can offer him against what the rest of the field can has crossed his mind (in no small part because his agent is certainly putting that into the conversation). Even if he plays badly, he'll stand to make more money by hitting free agency, unless he pulls a Paul George (knock on wood). That's how the current CBA is designed.

I know a lot of people loathe Carmelo, but he's the perfect example of the situation Rondo's going into this year from a contractual standpoint and from a role-on-the-team standpoint. It's one thing to say 'I care about winning and I want to go to a team where I can do that,' but it's entirely another to turn down $60 million dollars (or make 50% of what you could have, depending on your perspective) to do so.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 02:42:29 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I'm torn as to what I would take for Rondo.  I'd obviously like at least one big time player back, but would be happy (if really in rebuilding mode) to also get back multiple picks.  I'd be more happy with multiple really good players, and a first.  That's why the Sac deal that was rumored (but not really a rumor) intrigued me.  If they come calling again, Nik S, D Will, and an unprotected first gets them Rondo in my book.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2014, 02:53:39 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Frank Isola said that due to Rondo's insistence in testing free agency, he's going to be the next big name to be dealt.

It sounds like he may be projecting what he would do in Ainge's place.  A lot of people seem to think that the Celtics should be desperate to move Rondo because that's how they would feel if they were Boston's GM.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2014, 03:06:29 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Frank Isola said that due to Rondo's insistence in testing free agency, he's going to be the next big name to be dealt.

It sounds like he may be projecting what he would do in Ainge's place.  A lot of people seem to think that the Celtics should be desperate to move Rondo because that's how they would feel if they were Boston's GM.
That is what it was as I listened to it.  He was basically just saying that Ainge should be calling about Dragic and as a second choice Bledsoe.  I mean he wasn't about selling off Rondo for nothing.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip