Author Topic: Milwaukee could start Henson, does this make Sanders expendable?  (Read 8483 times)

Re: Milwaukee could start Henson, does this make Sanders expendable?
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2014, 03:12:05 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I can not for any reason see Danny Ainge taking the massive gamble of taking on a 4 year $44 million contract for a guy that is in rehab or just got out of rehab. Boston's front office has seen what alcohol and/or drugs can do to a player(Vin Baker). I would just be absolutely astounded to see Ainge take any shot at Sanders.

If people think Wallace's contract is poison, watch what happens with Sanders contract perception if he can't change his ways.

If I was playing in Milwaukee, I'd probably want to throw back a 6 pack as well.

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2014, 03:16:57 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I can not for any reason see Danny Ainge taking the massive gamble of taking on a 4 year $44 million contract for a guy that is in rehab or just got out of rehab. Boston's front office has seen what alcohol and/or drugs can do to a player(Vin Baker). I would just be absolutely astounded to see Ainge take any shot at Sanders.

4 years, ~$40 million, eh?

Obligatory:
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2014, 03:18:30 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I am against trading for that contract on a player with that many questions around him. 

If the team was one move away and it was adding a defensive C, sure, roll the die. 

But that is not the Celtics.  This feels like the moves the Knicks keep doing in the hope of competing, but never do.

I understand what you're saying but I don't agree with it.

I guess I fail to see how meddling around 3rd, 4th or 5th worse in the NBA ( which is probably close to where we are at right now) is any better than competing for a playoff spot

I think by now we should have learned that ping pong balls are not going to fall our way unless we end up being really, really, really bad. And even then, you're not guaranteed anything.

When the Sixers gutted their team last year, I am pretty sure they had Wiggins in mind and instead got stuck with a guy in Embiid who's not going to play this year and could very well be another Greg Oden.

We are talking about a player about to lose his starting spot on the team with the worst record in the NBA last season.  Why would we expect him to somehow move the Celtics anywhere is beyond me.

He is a 44 million gamble that the Celtics really can't afford.  At his best, he is still not a star, and that is what the Celtic's need.

Again, this feels like a NY Knicks move.  "Let's take a chance on Eddie Curry at big money."  "Let's throw a lot of money at Amare." 

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2014, 03:20:22 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
The Amar'e deal wasn't so bad right up until the point it was clear that no one was going to insure it.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2014, 03:27:56 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I can see Milwaukee holding off on dealing Sanders (unless they get a great offer) until Henson establishes himself as a clear starter through his performance in regular season games.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2014, 03:30:44 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
I am against trading for that contract on a player with that many questions around him. 

If the team was one move away and it was adding a defensive C, sure, roll the die. 

But that is not the Celtics.  This feels like the moves the Knicks keep doing in the hope of competing, but never do.

I guess I fail to see how meddling around 3rd, 4th or 5th worse in the NBA ( which is probably close to where we are at right now) is any better than competing for a playoff spot

I think by now we should have learned that ping pong balls are not going to fall our way unless we end up being really, really, really bad. And even then, you're not guaranteed anything.

When the Sixers gutted their team last year, I am pretty sure they had Wiggins in mind and instead got stuck with a guy in Embiid who's not going to play this year and could very well be another Greg Oden.

We are talking about a player about to lose his starting spot on the team with the worst record in the NBA last season.  Why would we expect him to somehow move the Celtics anywhere is beyond me.

He is a 44 million gamble that the Celtics really can't afford.  At his best, he is still not a star, and that is what the Celtic's need.

Again, this feels like a NY Knicks move.  "Let's take a chance on Eddie Curry at big money."  "Let's throw a lot of money at Amare."

Im on the fence with the idea of the Cs adding Sanders, the risk is huge but the payoff is also huge. Where Sanders may not be a star, he is elite on the defensive side of the court. He could be the perfect player to pair with Sully and KO. As well as a great P&R dive to the hoop option for Rondo. Then again he could also turn into an albatross contract. Tough call
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2014, 03:31:11 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
The Amar'e deal wasn't so bad right up until the point it was clear that no one was going to insure it.
Amar'e has played in 70% of the Knicks games since he signed the contract (during the same time period Rondo has played in only 60.6% of Boston's games).  The problem wasn't the lack of insurance it is what the injuries did to Amar'e's skills.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2014, 05:30:58 PM »

Offline Skywalker2.0

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 247

Im on the fence with the idea of the Cs adding Sanders, the risk is huge but the payoff is also huge. Where Sanders may not be a star, he is elite on the defensive side of the court. He could be the perfect player to pair with Sully and KO. As well as a great P&R dive to the hoop option for Rondo. Then again he could also turn into an albatross contract. Tough call

I say no because I have a feeling Sanders will turn into Gerald Wallace. I'd much rather have Henson look at his per 48 min. stats 16.8 points 10.7 rebounds 2.4 assists and 2.6 blocks on 54% shooting.

« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2014, 05:34:08 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Regardless is he's expendable or not, he's one of the guys we should atleast spending time trying to acquire.

There's not really a lot of good defensive Centers around, and he's value can never be lower at this point. We should strike before he regains his usual level of play and becomes a little more pricey. A guy who averaged a solid 7 points, 7 rebounds, 2 blocks in only 25 minutes of action, and that's coming off a bad season, I'd be willing to give them a 1st rounder for him

Same here. If Ainge ever wakes up from his slumber, he should consider.
More or less Biz Biyombo can do that.

« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2014, 06:23:57 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Larry Sanders equals banner 18 thru 40.

« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2014, 06:35:12 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Regardless is he's expendable or not, he's one of the guys we should atleast spending time trying to acquire.

There's not really a lot of good defensive Centers around, and he's value can never be lower at this point. We should strike before he regains his usual level of play and becomes a little more pricey. A guy who averaged a solid 7 points, 7 rebounds, 2 blocks in only 25 minutes of action, and that's coming off a bad season, I'd be willing to give them a 1st rounder for him

Same here. If Ainge ever wakes up from his slumber, he should consider.
More or less Biz Biyombo can do that.

There is no better example of a one way player in the NBA than Bismack Biyombo.

« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2014, 08:20:54 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Man, KG type? Really, smh... Sanders is Javale McGee type. Maybe Tyson Chandler but hell no is he KG type no matter who is coach.

You have misread MISSERY's post.
I did thanks fantankerous, sorry Missery. Will give up a TP as compensation.  I really don't think the players on "team" or coach staff matters though. Sanders is what he is.

« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2014, 12:18:53 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Well that's exactly why the Bucks are unlikely to deal Henson now.  He's been named the starter.  He is talented and he is CHEAP against the salary cap.

I think Sanders is expendable for the Bucks as long as they get a decent return.  We might have to eat Ilyasova's contract to gain Sanders, but problem is we really don't have the cap space to absorb TWO big cap value deals like that.

I'm not sure how we'd even get Sanders unless we trade a bunch of 1 year expiring deals and a draft pick or two.  If Henson shows himself to be the clear cut starter during preseason, I think we have a chance at Sanders.

Then again as others have mentioned there is the danger of the 'Vin Baker' factor.  I honestly don't know if the risk is worth it, but I love the elite defense Sanders would bring to the 5 position for the Celtics.

« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2014, 12:21:33 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Sanders is, as they say in NBA circles, 'Very available'.

The Celtics, rightfully so, are 'very disinterested'.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2014, 12:32:58 AM »

Offline AngryAndIrritable

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29
Teams like Miami can afford a speculative punt on a Michael Beasley.

We can't.