Author Topic: Milwaukee could start Henson, does this make Sanders expendable?  (Read 8472 times)

Re: Milwaukee could start Henson, does this make Sanders expendable?
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2014, 10:42:45 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
This thread makes me think of the time that we almost traded Ray Allen for OJ Mayo.

I do like that trade above, though.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2014, 11:21:33 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I am against trading for that contract on a player with that many questions around him. 

If the team was one move away and it was adding a defensive C, sure, roll the die. 

But that is not the Celtics.  This feels like the moves the Knicks keep doing in the hope of competing, but never do. 

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2014, 11:38:05 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Wallace, Clippers pick and Philly's two second round picks.

Problem is I doubt Danny makes any moves for medium/large contracts like this until we know what's happening with Rondo.

I like Larry's game, he's very frustrated on the Bucks but he's also got self control issues.
Big gamble and Danny likes to roll the dice.

If Larry Sanders could get back to playing the way he did in 2012-13 he'd be one of the best bargain contracts in the league. Unfortunately he's an alcoholic and a drug addict...

I love him but tough call.

TP - this is the kind of deal I think we should expect if one is made. Wallace is signed for two more years so it doesn't really affect our plans this next off-season. People around here tend to overrate his value - he is signed for four more years at more than Wallace's annual salary and is coming off just a miserable year. The Bucks were hoping he would take the Cousins / Jordan route and he fell below McGee. With Henson ready to step in, it may make sense for the Bucks to move on with picks and a player on a shorter contract.

Does this mean he has no chance of redemption? Of course not - the potential is still there, but he needs some major coaching and an attitude adjustment. But, please, no more Rondo or even Sully for Sanders threads. He just is not worth it right now.

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2014, 11:55:38 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I am against trading for that contract on a player with that many questions around him. 

If the team was one move away and it was adding a defensive C, sure, roll the die. 

But that is not the Celtics.  This feels like the moves the Knicks keep doing in the hope of competing, but never do.

Echo these sentiments.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2014, 12:05:11 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Right now best I would do for Sanders is take on Mayo and give them all expiring deals.

Sanders and Mayo
For Thornton,  Bogans, Anthony and CJ.

Bucks can cut CJ and Bogans saving 6 million. Get out of Mayo and Sanders bad contracts.

Mayo is off same year as Wallace and Green so that is C's big FA shot.
throw in a couple of picks (LA and future protected pick) and I think they might do that and makes some sense for Boston as well.  I do think they will want Ilyasova included as well and frankly that makes a bit more sense.  So maybe you include Bass (and Babb since he would have to be cut anyway) and just the LAC pick (and not a future pick)

So Boston post-trade is

PG - Rondo, Smart, Pressey
SG - Mayo, Bradley, Smart
SF - Green, Turner, Mayo, Wallace, Young
PF - Sullinger, Ilyasova, Olynyk
C - Sanders, Zeller, Faverani

Still have a log jam at SG and SF, but I think that provides a better and more balanced team overall, which does shore up a bit some of the teams deficiencies (a good rim protector in Sanders and some better scoring in the starting line up with Mayo).  Team still needs a #1 scoring option, but is in a better place overall.

All that said, I'm still not sure I would want to make that trade and use the cap room on a team that doesn't really jump up into true contention.

This would work out well.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=n4cu9m6

Celts get Mayo/Ilyasova/Sanders
Bucks get Wallace/Bass/Bogans/Anthony.

Don't forget we don't know what's going on with Turner as I don't belive his signing is official and I assume James Young will start the season in the D-League.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 12:10:12 PM by gpap »

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2014, 01:33:08 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
This is interesting and I think the bucks will be fun/interesting to watch this next season. They have a very nice core of young talent (Giannis, Parker, Knight, and Henson with some nice second role player youth in Middleton Wolters, and Inglis). They also have  a group of young vets who presumably don't fit into their long term plans and create redundancy with their young players (Mayo, Iilyasova and Sanders).

I would expect that the vision for this team down the road would be to add a shooter to the back court with Knight and play a front line of Giannis at SF Parker at PF and Henson at C. That could be a scary lineup in 3 years with the right SG say Kyle Thompson.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2014, 01:42:45 PM »

Offline cletus1985

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 408
Right now best I would do for Sanders is take on Mayo and give them all expiring deals.

Sanders and Mayo
For Thornton,  Bogans, Anthony and CJ.

Bucks can cut CJ and Bogans saving 6 million. Get out of Mayo and Sanders bad contracts.

Mayo is off same year as Wallace and Green so that is C's big FA shot.
throw in a couple of picks (LA and future protected pick) and I think they might do that and makes some sense for Boston as well.  I do think they will want Ilyasova included as well and frankly that makes a bit more sense.  So maybe you include Bass (and Babb since he would have to be cut anyway) and just the LAC pick (and not a future pick)

So Boston post-trade is

PG - Rondo, Smart, Pressey
SG - Mayo, Bradley, Smart
SF - Green, Turner, Mayo, Wallace, Young
PF - Sullinger, Ilyasova, Olynyk
C - Sanders, Zeller, Faverani

Still have a log jam at SG and SF, but I think that provides a better and more balanced team overall, which does shore up a bit some of the teams deficiencies (a good rim protector in Sanders and some better scoring in the starting line up with Mayo).  Team still needs a #1 scoring option, but is in a better place overall.

All that said, I'm still not sure I would want to make that trade and use the cap room on a team that doesn't really jump up into true contention.

This would work out well.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=n4cu9m6

Celts get Mayo/Ilyasova/Sanders
Bucks get Wallace/Bass/Bogans/Anthony.

Don't forget we don't know what's going on with Turner as I don't belive his signing is official and I assume James Young will start the season in the D-League.

I'd rather keep mayo out of the deal and just take on Ilysova since that will probably be the price to get the deal done.We could give them Wallace, Bogans, Babb, and Johnson for Sanders, then do Thornton for Ilysova to get it done right away (Thornton can't be traded with other players until 2 months after the initial trade).

This would clear up our roster spots a bit without giving up anything of value, milwaukee clears Ilysova off their books and would probably be able to use Thornton better then we could. Would rather hold on to bass for now and just send him out to playoff team in need towards the deadline, he can at least get us couple 2nd rounders at that point I'd guess.

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2014, 01:49:25 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
They're not taking on Wallace without getting a first back.

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2014, 02:02:05 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I would role the dice with Larry Sanders, and move someone like KO if it helped seal the deal. Our only other hope for rim protection is next year's draft, and I don't like those odds at all.

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2014, 02:05:54 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
yep.  I don't think they move Sanders without getting at least 1 first back either.  What is the benefit for them in doing that.  It isn't like free agents are going to be falling over themselves to play in Milwaukee on a young crappy team.  They don't need to move Sanders for any real reason, thus if they move him it will be to clear other salary and to acquire other assets (like 1st round picks).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2014, 02:07:15 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
yep.  I don't think they move Sanders without getting at least 1 first back either.  What is the benefit for them in doing that.  It isn't like free agents are going to be falling over themselves to play in Milwaukee on a young crappy team.  They don't need to move Sanders for any real reason, thus if they move him it will be to clear other salary and to acquire other assets (like 1st round picks).

Fine by me. We certainly have alot of draft picks we can offer.

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2014, 02:59:02 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Like has been discussed by Chambers and myself, I don't think there is really any problem in giving up a first with Wallace in order to take on Sanders. I think where people cross the line is in offering Sully/KO and / or our waivable contracts to take on four years of possible bust potential.

I will say, though, if Wallace and the Clips pick could have sealed the deal, Sanders would most likely be a Celtic right now. The Bucks really need to think about their current roster construction and if they believe Henson is the future at Center, then shaving a couple of years off of Sanders' contract and acquiring a first would be pretty awesome for them.

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2014, 03:05:11 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Like has been discussed by Chambers and myself, I don't think there is really any problem in giving up a first with Wallace in order to take on Sanders. I think where people cross the line is in offering Sully/KO and / or our waivable contracts to take on four years of possible bust potential.

I will say, though, if Wallace and the Clips pick could have sealed the deal, Sanders would most likely be a Celtic right now. The Bucks really need to think about their current roster construction and if they believe Henson is the future at Center, then shaving a couple of years off of Sanders' contract and acquiring a first would be pretty awesome for them.
1 pick to move Wallace, 1 pick to acquire Sanders and that is the starting point (it might take more than that). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2014, 03:08:59 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I can not for any reason see Danny Ainge taking the massive gamble of taking on a 4 year $44 million contract for a guy that is in rehab or just got out of rehab. Boston's front office has seen what alcohol and/or drugs can do to a player(Vin Baker). I would just be absolutely astounded to see Ainge take any shot at Sanders.

If people think Wallace's contract is poison, watch what happens with Sanders contract perception if he can't change his ways.

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2014, 03:11:27 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

I understand what you're saying but I don't agree with it.

I guess I fail to see how meddling around 3rd, 4th or 5th worse in the NBA ( which is probably close to where we are at right now) is any better than competing for a playoff spot

I think by now we should have learned that ping pong balls are not going to fall our way unless we end up being really, really, really bad. And even then, you're not guaranteed anything.

When the Sixers gutted their team last year, I am pretty sure they had Wiggins in mind and instead got stuck with a guy in Embiid who's not going to play this year and could very well be another Greg Oden.