Author Topic: Milwaukee could start Henson, does this make Sanders expendable?  (Read 8461 times)

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
http://www.si.com/nba/2014/08/27/john-henson-starting-center-bucks-open-season-nba

I mean to have a guy who's under contract for another 4 years at 11 mil per coming off the bench might not be very logical.

I feel a Rondo/Sanders combo could be really great and fun to watch.

Not to mention, if Sanders can regain his value around the league he could also be another "chip" for an even bigger name, later on down the road.

Re: Milwaukee could start Henson, does this make Sanders expendable?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 08:39:11 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Think it might be more of a wake up call attempt towards Sanders. Maybe if Kidd starts his butt on the bench they'll light a fire under him.

Regardless I'd still take a chance on him if the Bucks were making him available. He is the high flying defensive center that I have always enjoyed watching. Alongside Rondo he would be a great addition and would also work well down low alongside both KO and Sully. I'd trade expirings and two firsts to get Sanders in green.

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 08:40:25 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I could see some sort of 3 deal working, where Green is sent to another team, that team sends young players to the Bucks, and Sanders is sent here.

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 08:42:22 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
I could see some sort of 3 deal working, where Green is sent to another team, that team sends young players to the Bucks, and Sanders is sent here.

I could also possibly see the Bucks dealing Sanders if the Celts we were willing to eat one of their other bad contracts like Mayo or Ilyasova.

However, would Ainge want to do that? (personally, I would't mind Mayo.)

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 08:45:58 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Regardless is he's expendable or not, he's one of the guys we should atleast be spending time trying to acquire.

There's not really a lot of good defensive Centers around, and his value can never be lower at this point. We should strike before he regains his usual level of play and becomes a little more pricey. A guy who averaged a solid 7 points, 7 rebounds, 2 blocks in only 25 minutes of action, and that's coming off a bad season, I'd be willing to give them a 1st rounder for him
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 08:53:17 AM by Yoki_IsTheName »
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 08:49:24 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Regardless is he's expendable or not, he's one of the guys we should atleast spending time trying to acquire.

There's not really a lot of good defensive Centers around, and he's value can never be lower at this point. We should strike before he regains his usual level of play and becomes a little more pricey. A guy who averaged a solid 7 points, 7 rebounds, 2 blocks in only 25 minutes of action, and that's coming off a bad season, I'd be willing to give them a 1st rounder for him

Same here. If Ainge ever wakes up from his slumber, he should consider.

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 09:00:00 AM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Think it might be more of a wake up call attempt towards Sanders. Maybe if Kidd starts his butt on the bench they'll light a fire under him.

I agree that this report is about sending a message.  It makes no sense to name their starting center in late August.  It's something that should be decided in camp.  Currently, no one knows how Henson will respond to bulking up nor how Sanders will rebound from his poor season last year.

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 09:07:33 AM »

Offline MISSERY

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 12
i think sanders need a KG type and doc or pop coach to get his attitude fix and mindset of just playing and winning

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 09:26:48 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Man, KG type? Really, smh... Sanders is Javale McGee type. Maybe Tyson Chandler but hell no is he KG type no matter who is coach.

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 09:39:05 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Right now best I would do for Sanders is take on Mayo and give them all expiring deals.

Sanders and Mayo
For Thornton,  Bogans, Anthony and CJ.

Bucks can cut CJ and Bogans saving 6 million. Get out of Mayo and Sanders bad contracts.

Mayo is off same year as Wallace and Green so that is C's big FA shot.

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 09:57:14 AM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Man, KG type? Really, smh... Sanders is Javale McGee type. Maybe Tyson Chandler but hell no is he KG type no matter who is coach.

You have misread MISSERY's post.

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 10:11:03 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
i haven't been following sanders lately. did he finally stop being a complete and total knucklehead over the past few months?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 10:33:18 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Wallace, Clippers pick and Philly's two second round picks.

Problem is I doubt Danny makes any moves for medium/large contracts like this until we know what's happening with Rondo.

I like Larry's game, he's very frustrated on the Bucks but he's also got self control issues.
Big gamble and Danny likes to roll the dice.

If Larry Sanders could get back to playing the way he did in 2012-13 he'd be one of the best bargain contracts in the league. Unfortunately he's an alcoholic and a drug addict...

I love him but tough call.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2014, 10:34:56 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
i haven't been following sanders lately. did he finally stop being a complete and total knucklehead over the past few months?

DeMarcus Cousins became the god father of Larry's son. They then went to Delonte West's house for pizza.

Apparently he checked himself into rehab but who knows. We could just go after Henson instead?
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2014, 10:40:07 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Right now best I would do for Sanders is take on Mayo and give them all expiring deals.

Sanders and Mayo
For Thornton,  Bogans, Anthony and CJ.

Bucks can cut CJ and Bogans saving 6 million. Get out of Mayo and Sanders bad contracts.

Mayo is off same year as Wallace and Green so that is C's big FA shot.
throw in a couple of picks (LA and future protected pick) and I think they might do that and makes some sense for Boston as well.  I do think they will want Ilyasova included as well and frankly that makes a bit more sense.  So maybe you include Bass (and Babb since he would have to be cut anyway) and just the LAC pick (and not a future pick)

So Boston post-trade is

PG - Rondo, Smart, Pressey
SG - Mayo, Bradley, Smart
SF - Green, Turner, Mayo, Wallace, Young
PF - Sullinger, Ilyasova, Olynyk
C - Sanders, Zeller, Faverani

Still have a log jam at SG and SF, but I think that provides a better and more balanced team overall, which does shore up a bit some of the teams deficiencies (a good rim protector in Sanders and some better scoring in the starting line up with Mayo).  Team still needs a #1 scoring option, but is in a better place overall.

All that said, I'm still not sure I would want to make that trade and use the cap room on a team that doesn't really jump up into true contention.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip