Author Topic: Could this offer get us a trade exception.  (Read 5634 times)

Could this offer get us a trade exception.
« on: August 28, 2014, 06:38:47 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
If we offered Bogans', johnson's, and Babb's unguaranteed deals, together with the Philly 1st (which will likely be 2 2nds anyway) for a TPE, which teams do you think would bite? Is it a sensible offer? Could we get more ?
Banner 18 please 😍

Re: Could this offer get us a trade exception.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 06:56:13 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Shouldn't have to offer anything other than a conditional pick for that kind of deal - certainly not a pair of second rounders.  It doesn't cost Philly (or any other team with cap space to absorb the contracts) one cent; they'd just waive those guys immediately.

But, that's what I would expect to ultimately happen to those guys - trade 'em, let someone else waive them, and acquire a TPE via the technicalities of the trade rules.  But, the actual compensation in a deal like this would be minimal. 

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 07:15:49 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
I think we could add cash and be done with it.

Though the NBA might be a bit upset reporting a deal like that, I think it'd be in the best interest of most teams.

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 07:41:13 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
If we offered Bogans', johnson's, and Babb's unguaranteed deals, together with the Philly 1st (which will likely be 2 2nds anyway) for a TPE, which teams do you think would bite? Is it a sensible offer? Could we get more ?

How would you plan to use it down the road?  Bogan's contract is on the few chips we have presently that someone might value.

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 08:22:56 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
If they don't do a trade like this, though, they're going to cut Bogans himself before the season starts (and they've got to start cutting paychecks again).  Not a prayer in hell that they pay Bogans to sit on his ass on his couch again this season.  A deal like this - a conditional pick and/or cash, essentially for a TPE - preserves the "value" of Bogans' deal for another twelve months, while not having to actually pay him any money.

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 08:28:37 AM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I agree, this is more of a good-will gesture by another team than anything else. It certainly shouldn't cost us several [high] second round picks.

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 08:31:00 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
If they don't do a trade like this, though, they're going to cut Bogans himself before the season starts (and they've got to start cutting paychecks again).  Not a prayer in hell that they pay Bogans to sit on his ass on his couch again this season.  A deal like this - a conditional pick and/or cash, essentially for a TPE - preserves the "value" of Bogans' deal for another twelve months, while not having to actually pay him any money.
the thought of getting back a TPE if a deal for a decent player or more picks and a crappy player isn't available isn't a bad idea.

I still think Danny will be able to move those 3 and perhaps Bass for an unproductive player on an expiring deal and a second rounder that to clear roster space or move those 3 and a well-protected second rounder for a TPE. 

I'd be very surprised if none of them are traded for at least something and have to be waived -- particularly Bogans

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 08:43:08 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
the thought of getting back a TPE if a deal for a decent player or more picks and a crappy player isn't available isn't a bad idea.

I still think Danny will be able to move those 3 and perhaps Bass for an unproductive player on an expiring deal and a second rounder that to clear roster space or move those 3 and a well-protected second rounder for a TPE. 

I'd be very surprised if none of them are traded for at least something and have to be waived -- particularly Bogans

I thought so, too, but it's getting a little late in the offseason.  Figure that earlier on, teams might have been looking to clear cap space for free agents, but that's pretty much done now.  And, I don't see ownership being enthused about acquiring the kinds of player being described - guys underperforming their contracts - that teams might be looking to dump.  The C's have a lot of young guys at most positions that need to be getting the bulk of the playing time.

So, I agree in theory that I think they were looking to use those contracts to acquire an interesting player - basically, what they did with Zeller.  But, I'm not sure how many more opportunities there are for those types of deals today.

And Bogans, at least, isn't going to collect a dime of his contract, whether he's traded and cut or we cut him ourselves.

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 09:00:26 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I thought so, too, but it's getting a little late in the offseason.  Figure that earlier on, teams might have been looking to clear cap space for free agents, but that's pretty much done now.  And, I don't see ownership being enthused about acquiring the kinds of player being described - guys underperforming their contracts - that teams might be looking to dump.  The C's have a lot of young guys at most positions that need to be getting the bulk of the playing time.

So, I agree in theory that I think they were looking to use those contracts to acquire an interesting player - basically, what they did with Zeller.  But, I'm not sure how many more opportunities there are for those types of deals today.

And Bogans, at least, isn't going to collect a dime of his contract, whether he's traded and cut or we cut him ourselves.
I agree the time for trades is growing short but trades are still possible.  I don't think the non-guaranteed deals will bring back a player of any value-->it's what else we get in the deal that's of interest whether it's a pick or a TPE that would be of more value.  a deal along those lines is something I think is very feasible prior to the season.

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 09:05:54 AM »

Offline MISSERY

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 12
johnson showed some signs last year... okc wizards cleveland houston pelicans i think will need a SG like bogans (good or bad)

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 09:21:28 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Yes but I would not do it. Bogans is a trade filler asset and basically an exemption already. And those Philly picks will be high second rounders can land possible rotation players with them. The total salary with Babb and CJ isn't even a lot. Also total TPE would be around 6.5million right?  If it was over 9 million it would have some value but most guys making under 7 million and seem productive usually don't get moved.

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2014, 09:11:22 PM »

Offline bostonsportsforlife

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23
I'd do it. If we added cash, some team would probably do it as somewhat of a good will gesture.

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2014, 10:04:36 PM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
Is Bogans still breathing?

Seriously, we talk about him a lot here...but where is he anyway?

Rak

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2014, 10:59:52 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
TPE's don't really have much inherent value. They certainly can, but often don't amount to much. They're generated whenever there's a discrepancy in a a traded players salary vs. what's coming back in.

So essentially, you'd have to find a team that had the cap room or a TPE of their own they wouldn't mind burning. At that rate, it probably wouldn't cost us much of anything to make one for those salaries.

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2014, 03:25:52 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Those philly picks are essentially 2 late first rounders. IMO I see Philly having a top 2 worse record in the league over the next 2 years.