Author Topic: 76ers acquire Hasheem Thabeet  (Read 10479 times)

Re: 76ers acquire Hasheem Thabeet
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2014, 05:38:54 AM »

Offline Eric M VAN

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 61
  • No no no, not THAT "Eric M Van".
Chris Wallace, Accidental GM.

The Thabeet news sent me off to look at Good Ole CW's history of wonderful GM moves over the years and my search unearthed some Great info , starting with this quote from Dick Pitino back on 1997

http://lexnihilnovi.blogspot.com/2013/09/pitino-hires-chris-wallace.html
"He's the kind of guy who always finds a game to go to," Pitino said. "If there were a game at the Y tonight, he'd be there."

That's exactly what the president and coach of the Celtics had in mind. That's why he was willing to give up the Celtics' second-round draft pick (30th overall) as compensation to the Heat. In turn, the Celtics received the 55th overall pick. Pitino said that didn't bother him and that Wallace "was worth two first-round picks."

Yes, Dick, in the greater scheme of things, I believe  you believed that.

It was quite the walk down memory lane reviewing CW's GM record over the years, especially his sparkling array of deals while GM=ing the Celts back in those glory days of (January 8, 2001 - May 9, 2003). Supposedly he get's a pass and a free finger point at Dick P for any moves before Pitino took his ball and went home back in 2000.

Here's links to both their sets of moves, let's give Wallace the benefit of the doubt and say he was trying valiantly to pull the phone out of Dick's hands when ever he had a whim to sign Tyus Edney or re-trade for Eric Williams (or even get 37 year old Hot Rod Williams) and let his moves stand on their own.

Pitino GM Moves

Chris Wallace Moves

I'll just pick out his drafts with Memphis and sigh wi****lly. (seriously? wist Fully is censored?)

June 28, 2007: Selected Mike Conley (1st round, 4th pick) in the 2007 NBA Draft.

August 17, 2007: Traded a 2010 1st round draft pick (Xavier Henry was later selected) to the Washington Wizards for Juan Carlos Navarro.

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!
June 26, 2008: Selected Kevin Love (1st round, 5th pick) and Donte Greene (1st round, 28th pick) in the 2008 NBA Draft.

NEVER MIND!!!!!!!!!!
June 26, 2008: Traded Brian Cardinal, Jason Collins, Kevin Love and Mike Miller to the Minnesota Timberwolves for Greg Buckner, Marko Jaric, O.J. Mayo and Antoine Walker.

June 25, 2009: Selected Hasheem Thabeet (1st round, 2nd pick), DeMarre Carroll (1st round, 27th pick) and Sam Young (2nd round, 36th pick) in the 2009 NBA Draft.

February 18, 2010: Traded a 2011 1st round draft pick (Donatas Motiejunas was later selected) to the Utah Jazz for Ronnie Brewer.

June 24, 2010: Selected Xavier Henry (1st round, 12th pick), Dominique Jones (1st round, 25th pick) and Greivis Vasquez (1st round, 28th pick) in the 2010 NBA Draft.

June 24, 2011: No pick....YAY!!!!!!!!!

Subsequently banned from NBA for ineptitude.

Rehired due to Memphis confusion and name plates already made up so why not?

Ok, the draft is a crap shoot so poor old CW deserves a break I suppose for accidentally putting together a mid level playoff team and, of course, he did win a championship. albeit for the Lakers when he served up Pau Gasol to them in 2008 (he did get Marc Gasol back, jeenyus on his part...riiiight)

All done but a big thanks to the Thabeet news for offering a chance to go back over the wonderama that is Chris Wallace  (and I never mentioned the details of the fine job he did with the Celtics)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 06:52:45 AM by Eric M VAN »
"Because there are no fours."
-- Antoine Walker when asked why he shoots so many threes

"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees."
-Jason Kidd

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2014, 08:21:15 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
I think Thabeet has a place in the league. I hope someone else signs him.

How about we sign him. The minimum wouldnt hurt us, no? We can use every big body we have.

No need for Thabeet with Faverani and J.Anthony already here. Celtics have enough below average backup centers / 3rd string centers already. No point in stacking up on end of roster players who provide minimal enhancement to team.

Maybe next year though. When Joel Anthony's contract expires. Thabeet could be a good target then. Well, if Faverani fails to put things together. Acquire a new starting center elsewhere, keep Tyler Zeller as the backup center and then sign Thabeet as a third string center. Thabeet would provide good contrast to Zeller with his size (7-3, 270lbs, length, athleticism) and strong shot-blocking. Good option as third stringer.

I think Thabeet is better than Fav or Anthony though.

First, Joel is really NOT a center at 6' 9".  Secondly, I would agree with you on Fav IF he was not likely an alcoholic and always in TERRIBLE shape!!!  The man does where his doughnut (around the middle) well:-)))

Sign Thabeet Danny!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2014, 08:23:59 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269

How about we sign him. The minimum wouldnt hurt us, no? We can use every big body we have.

No need for Thabeet with Faverani and J.Anthony already here. Celtics have enough below average backup centers / 3rd string centers already. No point in stacking up on end of roster players who provide minimal enhancement to team.

Maybe next year though. When Joel Anthony's contract expires. Thabeet could be a good target then. Well, if Faverani fails to put things together. Acquire a new starting center elsewhere, keep Tyler Zeller as the backup center and then sign Thabeet as a third string center. Thabeet would provide good contrast to Zeller with his size (7-3, 270lbs, length, athleticism) and strong shot-blocking. Good option as third stringer.

I think Thabeet is better than Fav or Anthony though.
Sorry Skywalker.  I totally misread what you said.  I totally agree in that I too think Thabeet is better than Anthony and Fav!!

Smitty77

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2014, 08:59:20 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

Like Cleveland?
That is what Cleveland is missing. All he would need to focus on is blocking shots and rebounding(I think he has a hard time of that already though).

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2014, 09:59:21 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
If it wasnt for the log jam in the front court I would love the Cs to sign Thabeet. At least he is shot blocker and a big body to stick in the middle.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2014, 02:33:51 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
If we still had Clifford Ray on the coaching staff I'd take a chance on him then.

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2014, 05:30:36 PM »

Offline Greenback

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
  • Take away love and the earth is a tomb. ~ Browning
Celtics should be interested. 

He is a potential rim protector.

It makes more sense to take a look at a Center than it does all the extra guards the C's have on the roster.
Everyone wants truth on his side, not everyone wants to be on the side of truth.

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2014, 08:24:37 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
Philly really likes pouring acid on its face.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2014, 08:24:45 PM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
Celtics should be interested. 

He is a potential rim protector.

Agree.

A 7'3" tree in the middle is still an imposing presence. What I like most with Thabeet aside from his size are his good mobility and build that goes with his physical attributes. Plus, Brad could find a new role for him even for 5-10 minutes floor exposure.

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2014, 09:26:24 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
He also flies coach, apparently.

At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2014, 05:45:15 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
First, Joel is really NOT a center at 6' 9".

6'9" Joel Anthony is as much of a center as 6'9" Bismack Biyombo.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 03:59:20 PM by LooseCannon »
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2014, 03:10:37 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Looks like the Sixers will be cutting Thabeet:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11413966/philadelphia-76ers-trade-waive-hasheem-thabeet

...get him, Danny?  Meh. 

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2014, 06:35:12 PM »

fitzhickey

Being 7'3" on a plane would be ridiculous.

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2014, 07:44:44 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Especially if the dude in front reclines his seat.  :-\
http://deadspin.com/if-hasheem-thabeet-sits-behind-you-in-coach-dont-recli-1627402297

At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2014, 07:50:46 PM »

fitzhickey

Especially if the dude in front reclines his seat.  :-\
http://deadspin.com/if-hasheem-thabeet-sits-behind-you-in-coach-dont-recli-1627402297

And that guy is in the bulkhead. Poor Hasheem  :(