Author Topic: 76ers acquire Hasheem Thabeet  (Read 10477 times)

Re: 76ers acquire Hasheem Thabeet
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2014, 09:29:38 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Celtics should be interested. 

He is a potential rim protector.

Agree.

A 7'3" tree in the middle is still an imposing presence. What I like most with Thabeet aside from his size are his good mobility and build that goes with his physical attributes. Plus, Brad could find a new role for him even for 5-10 minutes floor exposure.

I was in total agreement with picking up Thabeet and I was getting pretty bummed about the trade we made last year with Crawford / Brooks to take on Anthony for this year...and then I went and looked at his stats. I always knew that he had been a disappointment, but he literally could be the biggest bust in NBA history. His career high in mpg was 13 (his rookie year). He also averaged a killer 3.1 ppg that year (and has only had one other year about 2 ppg).

I know he is really tall and fairly mobile and he must have some redeeming qualities as a bball player, but he hasn't shown the talent to be a 2nd round pick, nevermind the freakin' #2 pick in the draft.

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2014, 11:18:42 PM »

Offline MISSERY

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 12
give me hammed haddadi instead of hasheem thabeet

« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2014, 11:40:29 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I'm sure there are multiple D-League centers who never had a decent shot in the NBA that I would take over Thabeet.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2014, 11:49:18 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
I'm sure there are multiple D-League centers who never had a decent shot in the NBA that I would take over Thabeet.

That's exactly what the Sixers did this past season.  However, it's apparently a terrible idea and disgraceful for a team that knows they aren't going to win a title to give D-Leaguers a shot to see who can stick in the NBA and who can't.

« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2014, 03:05:18 PM »

Offline bostonsportsforlife

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23
Yeah, just an update: after it appeared they kept him, Philly did indeed waive Thabeet before his salary became guaranteed.

« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2014, 03:58:03 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Yeah, just an update: after it appeared they kept him, Philly did indeed waive Thabeet before his salary became guaranteed.

Let's sign him. I'd love to have him, regardless of him not living up to his 2nd overall pick standards. A 7'3" dude is still an imposing presence.

At worst, he'll help us tank a bit better.  ;D
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2014, 04:43:22 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

That's exactly what the Sixers did this past season.  However, it's apparently a terrible idea and disgraceful for a team that knows they aren't going to win a title to give D-Leaguers a shot to see who can stick in the NBA and who can't.

That's not what people criticized Philly for.

Mike

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2014, 12:03:14 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
That's not the only reason, but tons of people have decried Philly for not stocking up on ineffective and mediocre veterans, instead choosing to evaluate fringe NBA players, citing the argument of "They're making a mockery of the game by not actively prioritizing winning!"