Author Topic: Kevin Love Just Admitted that LeBron Tampered  (Read 5574 times)

Kevin Love Just Admitted that LeBron Tampered
« on: August 26, 2014, 03:22:25 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
I'm watching his introductory press conference, and Kevin Love said that LeBron called him "the day he committed." A reporter then immediately asked him to confirm that LeBron called Love as soon as (/the day of) LeBron committed to Cleveland, and Love said, "I believe so, yes.". With that explicit quote, I'm interested to see if the league will act. 

Re: Kevin Love Just Admitted that LeBron Tampered
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 03:25:39 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
i thought it's been established many times already that there is nothing preventing players from talking to each other.  Players recruit players all the time.  Tampering is when coaches/owners/gms talk to players on other teams.

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 03:26:08 PM »

Offline bostonsportsforlife

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23
No matter what, they're not gonna punish one of the league's stars. I highly doubt it.

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 03:30:45 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
i thought it's been established many times already that there is nothing preventing players from talking to each other.  Players recruit players all the time.  Tampering is when coaches/owners/gms talk to players on other teams.

It's a little bit greyer than that, but this is typically how it bears out.

I do think we need to take another look at the idea of "an explicit quote" though. The NBA, and whatever team lodged the complaint (how hilarious would it be if the 'Wolves filed it?) would need to prove that LeBron called Love to talk about playing for Cleveland, rather than just calling him to make a bet on a fight or who he should be looking at as a ninth round sleeper in his fantasy league or to challenge him to a Madden rematch or something.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 03:37:17 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Tampering charges are only brought up when a team files a complaint with the league.  The Wolves are obviously not going to file a tampering complaint against the Cavs, so no, the NBA will not act.

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 03:40:04 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349

It's a little bit greyer than that, but this is typically how it bears out.

I do think we need to take another look at the idea of "an explicit quote" though. The NBA, and whatever team lodged the complaint (how hilarious would it be if the 'Wolves filed it?) would need to prove that LeBron called Love to talk about playing for Cleveland, rather than just calling him to make a bet on a fight or who he should be looking at as a ninth round sleeper in his fantasy league or to challenge him to a Madden rematch or something.

http://youtu.be/jxz1kLL-d4U

15:05 mark. My connotation of that was certainly that LeBron and Love were talking about playing basketball for the Cavs.

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 03:46:35 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
TP for the link -- anyone's that interested in listening in probably needs to start at the 14:25 mark, when Love starts talking about LeBron and the Olympics.

To be sure, I'm positive that they were angling to play with each other and talking about it, but I don't think there's evidence of tampering.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 03:51:27 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
What?!?!?!  :o

In related news, NBA players travel, flop, and take PEDs.

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 03:59:42 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
may not be illegal in the NBA but I've long felt that this is no different than teams tampering with players on other teams.  thing is, short of suspending Lebron and Love for part or all of this season as a penalty, there's nothing the league could really do to make Cleveland pay for this transgression.  financially they're laughing all the way to the bank so there's not much a fine will do and a fine would never be leveled on the league's lovechild (not that I expect them to ever suspend him short of using firearms on the court)

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 04:01:42 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 04:13:02 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Ok let's get technical here.

LeBron committed to the Cavs on 7/11, but he didn't sign with the Cavs until 7/12.

If he called Love the night he committed, he was still a free agent, so can a free agent tamper?

Anyway, I bet saltlover chimes in soon with the exact answer to all of our tampering questions.  Dude has the CBA memorized.  Of course one of us could just google it and look it up ourselves, I would but for some reason when I try to go to the cbafaq.com site from work, I got the message that it's blocked "Reason: Not allowed to browse P0rnography category", go figure).

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2014, 04:13:57 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2014, 04:16:25 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

It is tampering, the rules say it's tampering... whether it's enforced or not, or whether it's easy to enforce or not is another matter entirely.

That said, as I think Minnesota gave permission for them to talk to each other, then it's really of no importance. But maybe this occurred before the permission was given.

Also... it seems for a player on player tampering to be enforced it requires an owner/team to lodge a complaint.

So there's that.

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2014, 04:18:13 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Ok let's get technical here.

LeBron committed to the Cavs on 7/11, but he didn't sign with the Cavs until 7/12.

If he called Love the night he committed, he was still a free agent, so can a free agent tamper?

Anyway, I bet saltlover chimes in soon with the exact answer to all of our tampering questions.  Dude has the CBA memorized.  Of course one of us could just google it and look it up ourselves, I would but for some reason when I try to go to the cbafaq.com site from work, I got the message that it's blocked "Reason: Not allowed to browse P0rnography category", go figure).

No, you can't be caught tampering if you're a free agent.

It is tampering, the rules say it's tampering... whether it's enforced or not, or whether it's easy to enforce or not is another matter entirely.

That said, as I think Minnesota gave permission for them to talk to each other, then it's really of no importance. But maybe this occurred before the permission was given.

Also... it seems for a player on player tampering to be enforced it requires an owner/team to lodge a complaint.

So there's that.

See the above.