Author Topic: Patriots Trade Logan Mankins to Tampa for Tim Wright & pick  (Read 9153 times)

Re: Patriots Reportedly Trade Logan Mankins to Tampa for Tim Wright & pick
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2014, 05:12:36 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I like it - 3 biggest games of Mankins career ( two super bowls and last year's AFC title game ) he got destroyed....Tuck manhandled him in those two super bowls and I actually believe he was one of the main reasons they didn't win.  I feel like good Guard play is easy to find, getting a hybrid TE that can catch is a little more difficult and like someone said early if this paves the way for Revis, then all the better.  Mankins is a little overrated in my eyes....

While Mankins has had a very nice career with the Pats, I agree about the playoffs. That 2007 line in general was the sole reason that team will not go down in history as the best of all-time. We talk about disappointing Celtic championship games, but that is easily the the worst one in Boston sports history.

Totally agree, TP for both you

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2014, 05:15:39 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
trading mankins probably hurts our chances of winning a title this year. cap space is only good if you use it to get other good players. and i don't expect them to even use it, in the past they've left cap space for no reason when we were just a couple good players short. if we don't win a championship this year it will be an abject failure, now is the time to put the pedal to the metal, the conservative approach has NOT worked for bringing in title #4.

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2014, 06:42:15 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
trading mankins probably hurts our chances of winning a title this year. cap space is only good if you use it to get other good players. and i don't expect them to even use it, in the past they've left cap space for no reason when we were just a couple good players short. if we don't win a championship this year it will be an abject failure, now is the time to put the pedal to the metal, the conservative approach has NOT worked for bringing in title #4.

How exciting would it be if they use that cap space for Andre Johnson?  That's just a pipe dream though.  My guess is they will use the space to extend a couple players possibly including Revis.  I agree they should put the pedal to the metal.  Brady doesn't have many more opportunities left. 

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2014, 08:03:08 PM »

Offline twistedrico

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 22
Dumb trade by Belichek, if they lose anyone on the line with an injury the slowest QB in the league is going to be getting pummeled a lot.

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2014, 08:43:28 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Noooooooo!  Is it football season already?

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2014, 09:21:36 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Dumb trade by Belichek, if they lose anyone on the line with an injury the slowest QB in the league is going to be getting pummeled a lot.
To be fair he might now have a TE he can quickly get the ball to

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2014, 09:50:54 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Classic Belichick. Your heart initially screams "no" but as you start to think through the full set of costs and benefits, it really makes sense.

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2014, 09:54:45 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522

I'm betting he's thought this through and believes he has enough depth on the line to deal with the loss of Mankins.  Additionaly, there may be a OL camp cut or two he has an eye on to sign as a veteran back-up.   

BB probably thinks the loss on OL is minimal while the gain at TE is significant in terms of opening up offensive options. 

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2014, 10:15:27 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

they almost always spend up to the cap. They like to leave some room for mid-season moves, but by the end of the year it's spent.

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2014, 01:25:35 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I'm a Bucs fan but I don't see how on paper this isn't a win/win for both teams. Bucs need help on the o-line (okay, a lot of it lol) and Pats have excess. Pats need a TE to fit their scheme, get a 4th, don't have to pay 7m per for next 2 seasons for someone who is nearing the end of an illustrious career, and they have people who probably aren't as good but have a chance to not be a huge drop-off (at this point in Mankins career). I could see fans being upset but if it's about football and improving your team, this is a good move for both sides.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2014, 09:54:10 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

Classic Belichick. Your heart initially screams "no" but as you start to think through the full set of costs and benefits, it really makes sense.

I tend to agree, up to a point. My initial reaction was shock, but now I see a few more of the "pros" than I did at first. I'm still not sold on the move, however.   We'll see how quickly the O-Line regroups (Thursday's game is going to be big for this reason), and what the new TE brings....
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2014, 10:29:41 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Besides, the draft pick and cap relief, which are both obviously positives, I'm curious as to how this impacts the Pats offense going forward. I'm thinking that this team will be more of a pass happy/spread you out type of team then we've seen in the last few seasons.

* Wright is going to fill the role of the move TE, something that has been missing since Hernandez was there. He's an awful run blocker, but so was Hernandez.

* Mankins was graded 18th out of 81 guards last season by PFF. However, the high ranking had more to do with his run blocking than his pass blocking.

"He allowed five sacks in a two-week stretch against Miami and Pittsburgh, and the 11 sacks and 22 quarterback pressures he allowed over 18 games last year were by far the most of his career."

* Mike Reiss, and I belive Field Yates as well, thinks Ridley will be cut. This means much more playing time for much better pass catchers in Vereen and Bolden.

* Last year NE finished with the 4th most rush attempts in the NFL, which was preceded by ranking #11 in 2012 and #9 in 2011.

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2014, 11:28:19 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Besides, the draft pick and cap relief, which are both obviously positives, I'm curious as to how this impacts the Pats offense going forward. I'm thinking that this team will be more of a pass happy/spread you out type of team then we've seen in the last few seasons.

* Wright is going to fill the role of the move TE, something that has been missing since Hernandez was there. He's an awful run blocker, but so was Hernandez.

* Mankins was graded 18th out of 81 guards last season by PFF. However, the high ranking had more to do with his run blocking than his pass blocking.

"He allowed five sacks in a two-week stretch against Miami and Pittsburgh, and the 11 sacks and 22 quarterback pressures he allowed over 18 games last year were by far the most of his career."

* Mike Reiss, and I belive Field Yates as well, thinks Ridley will be cut. This means much more playing time for much better pass catchers in Vereen and Bolden.

* Last year NE finished with the 4th most rush attempts in the NFL, which was preceded by ranking #11 in 2012 and #9 in 2011.

Interesting about Ridley. Yes, I could see it happening, although I bet the Pats would prefer a trade rather than a cut..... It is partly due to Ridley's ball security issues, partly due to other "fit" issues, but also likely due to the fact that the Pats can't pay both Vereen and Ridley next year. So, they'll go with a cheaper option or options at RB (ie: White, and perhaps also Gray).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2014, 11:59:13 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Cutting Ridley wouldn't entirely surprise me. (Although, I wouldn't)  He seems to be approaching that Lawrence Maroney level of frustation and they do appear to have depth at the position.

I really like James White down the road.   

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2014, 01:59:45 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
I'd be surprised if they cut Ridley and I'd be surprised if they cut Mallet.  Which means they'll probably cut both.