Author Topic: Report: Zydrunas Ilgauskas to attempt comeback to NBA  (Read 4985 times)

Report: Zydrunas Ilgauskas to attempt comeback to NBA
« on: August 25, 2014, 05:15:50 PM »

Offline Eric M VAN

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 61
  • No no no, not THAT "Eric M Van".
They're crawling out of the wood work.

http://www.si.com/nba/2014/08/25/cleveland-cavaliers-zyndrunas-ilgauskas-comeback?xid=nl_siextra

Ilgauskas, 39, last played for the Miami Heat in 2011. The 7-foot-3 center wants to join the Cavs this season if he is medically cleared to play. Early in his career, foot problems limited Ilgauskas and caused him to miss the entire 1999-2000 season. ESPN Cleveland reports Ilgauskas wants to play 10-15 minutes per game if he is healthy.
"Because there are no fours."
-- Antoine Walker when asked why he shoots so many threes

"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees."
-Jason Kidd

Re: Report: Zydrunas Ilgauskas to attempt comeback to NBA
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 06:29:13 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Been washed up for at least five years

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 06:31:40 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
They're crawling out of the wood work.

http://www.si.com/nba/2014/08/25/cleveland-cavaliers-zyndrunas-ilgauskas-comeback?xid=nl_siextra

Ilgauskas, 39, last played for the Miami Heat in 2011. The 7-foot-3 center wants to join the Cavs this season if he is medically cleared to play. Early in his career, foot problems limited Ilgauskas and caused him to miss the entire 1999-2000 season. ESPN Cleveland reports Ilgauskas wants to play 10-15 minutes per game if he is healthy.

Wouldn't be such a bad idea for the Mavs. Dirk, Chandler, Wright, Ivan Johnson, Greg Smith  Ilgauskas would be a big, tough, tall front court with Shooters all over the place

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 07:06:24 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2485
dude is way past his prime, i'd be shocked if he could make an NBA roster at this point, he'll have to do some major "conditioning" with lebron first.
and the cavs already have several poor athletes on their squad. if an ancient Big Z does get minutes, it makes them even slower.
probably would be more of a player/coach, though, just wants that ring after all his years there, can't fault him for that, by all accounts he was a class act.

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 07:12:17 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
I would be delighted if the Cavs signed Big Z. It would fill up their roster with an extremely injury prone player that could barely contribute several years ago. If they end up filling their bench with a number of people over 35 (james jones, Mike Miller, Big Z, Ray Allen) they really put themselves at risk of not having proper depth when injuries strike.

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 08:32:14 PM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Love me some big Z.  He was always the one player I didn't loathe on the cave.  Good luck with that Z  ;D
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 09:00:40 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598
Just stay retired, Big Z. You were a great player but I doubt you will be in great shape if you return.

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 09:14:48 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Seems everyone sees it as a forgone conclusion... Cavs 2014-15 champs. No other reason Z would come back. It's sad because I like him but I want people to keep beating these teams... sorry Z, I wish you could have won a ring but not like this!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 11:44:59 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
The Cavs are constructed to look like Lequeen's BFFs team.
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 11:47:52 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Love me some big Z.  He was always the one player I didn't loathe on the cave.  Good luck with that Z  ;D
No love for Delonte?

Which is pretty much what they tried to do the first time. Here's hoping they're equally unsuccessful.  ;D
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 05:41:04 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

He forms his own team.  Threw Wade and Bosh under the bus .

What happened to Owners and NBA teams selecting players and building a team.

LeBron has a traveling circus or band of gypsies

Now playing at your favorite city.

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2014, 08:06:36 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that James has nothing to do with this, other than him going back to Cleveland.  I just can't see James clamoring for a 39 year old center that hasn't played in 3 years and wasn't very good when he last played.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2014, 08:28:21 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

He forms his own team.  Threw Wade and Bosh under the bus .

What happened to Owners and NBA teams selecting players and building a team.

LeBron has a traveling circus or band of gypsies

Now playing at your favorite city.

Who is gonna say "no" to the best player on the planet? When you're that good, yes, you are the one with the power. All 30 GM's in the league would stop short at just about nothing to get Bron.

And it isn't as if Lebron is the first superstar to make it known he has certain players he would prefer to have as teammates. He won't be the last either.

Quite frankly, I just don't understand all the hand wringing over such things. NBA players aren't servants of the league. They are employees. Sometimes when an individual is really good at their job they get to dictate terms of employment in manners few other can. This exists in every line of work imaginable.

Something tells me this is much ado about nothing. Big Z is not an NBA player, and I'm certain Lebron is smart enough to see this.