Author Topic: Forget The 2004 Pistons...  (Read 9705 times)

Re: Forget The 2004 Pistons...
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2014, 06:51:24 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
That's why I'd like to see the Celts acquire someone like Josh Smith and Larry Sanders.

Don't know too much about the Kings of '02 but I do believe they were known for their athleticism (pls correct me if I am wrong.)

If you added guys like Smith and Sanders to a team with Rondo, Smart, Bradley and Turner, I believe a team like that could give a team like Cleveland a very hard time.

They weren't THAT athletic with Divac, Peja, and Bibby playing big roles.

And those guys certainly weren't known for athleticism, so I'll admit I am not familiar with the 02 Kings. I should probably watch this youtube video

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2014, 06:53:39 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
For an "unathletic" team, they had no problem getting up and down the court. 

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2014, 07:43:30 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
That's why I'd like to see the Celts acquire someone like Josh Smith and Larry Sanders.

Don't know too much about the Kings of '02 but I do believe they were known for their athleticism (pls correct me if I am wrong.)

If you added guys like Smith and Sanders to a team with Rondo, Smart, Bradley and Turner, I believe a team like that could give a team like Cleveland a very hard time.
Speaking of Cleveland, they will have some awesome Kings style passing with two of the best passing bigs in Lebron and Love. 

The Spurs showed some amazing and beautiful passing last year too- even better top to bottom than those Kings.

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2014, 07:48:13 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Speaking of Cleveland, they will have some awesome Kings style passing with two of the best passing bigs in Lebron and Love. 

The Spurs showed some amazing and beautiful passing last year too- even better top to bottom than those Kings.

Last year's Spurs team was probably the best passing NBA team I've ever seen.  Their performance in the Finals was breathtaking. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2014, 08:02:18 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I like the 86 Celtics for passing.  Bird and Walton were great passers.

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2014, 08:26:27 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Agreed re: San Antonio, but I think the Cleveland bigs will be Varejao and Love, with (newly skinny) LeBron on the wing.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2014, 08:42:23 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
both those Kings and Pistons teams had multi all-stars.

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2014, 08:59:11 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Hey we're already 1/12 of the way there with Gerald Wallace putting up pretty much the same number's he did in '02 for the Kings  ;D

I think the hardest part of building a team like that is finding 2 great passing big men who can play side by side like Webber and Divac.  Can't think of a PF/C combo in today's NBA that could work like that.  I'd probably start with a Gasol brother though, or maybe Spencer Hawes, but don't know who I'd put next to them.

Where oh where can we ever find a versatile offensive big man who can shoot, pass from either the high or the low post, and make moves off the dribble?

;D

I was making 'I hope Kelly turns into Divac' posts last year. I stand by that.
I was thinking Toni Kukoc and I'll stand by that.

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2014, 09:49:21 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

What really illustrates the Kings way of playing was their mentality, which came out in their passing, IMO, and the fact that they had such a relaxed, freelance offense that was facilitated by their incredible acumen for knowing when to pass and when to score. If you imagine the Timberwolves of the last couple of years, but without the overriding scent of 'wow they really suck', you'd be looking at a Junior Varsity version of those Kings -- Adelman's principles with the talent that they had in Sacto created, for my money, one of the the most entertaining teams I've ever seen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLx0dKwwj7o
If you upgraded the Twolves small forward then ya I see them as a jv team to the Kings of that time. Peja was absolutley killing it from 3. I think he even shot 50% from 3 on year.

When Ainge first got the job he said he wanted to model his team after the Kings....I was so happy .

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2014, 10:17:34 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

Sure when you put a 60 win team together, you're most likely going to get some guys selected to the All-Star team as a result of your team winning.  That's just how the system works.  Hey Mo Williams and Jameer Nelson were All-Stars too when they were on 60 win teams, I don't think that's really saying anything though.

But Sacramento and Detroit each had only one player who was an All-Star before they got to Sacramento/Detroit (and those guys weren't even current All-Stars when they were brought in).  Those teams were built around players that just about any GM in the league could have attained for a reasonable price.  They were both built around nowhere-near-max free agents; small trades; and mid-to-late 1st round draft picks, something any team in the league can do, theoretically at least.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 10:38:14 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2014, 11:54:22 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
Hey we're already 1/12 of the way there with Gerald Wallace putting up pretty much the same number's he did in '02 for the Kings  ;D

I think the hardest part of building a team like that is finding 2 great passing big men who can play side by side like Webber and Divac.  Can't think of a PF/C combo in today's NBA that could work like that.  I'd probably start with a Gasol brother though, or maybe Spencer Hawes, but don't know who I'd put next to them.

Where oh where can we ever find a versatile offensive big man who can shoot, pass from either the high or the low post, and make moves off the dribble?

;D

I was making 'I hope Kelly turns into Divac' posts last year. I stand by that.
I was thinking Toni Kukoc and I'll stand by that.

Sabonis says hi
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2014, 01:51:18 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Man watching 90's teams being so stacked with guys is depressing. Probably never going to see the same level of league play again. We may get 2 or 3 good teams a year but those days were every playoff team is a must watch in person is long gone.
I think you are misremembering the past a bit here.  Just like the older generations misremember the 80's or the 70's or the 60's.

Nah just the truth. The players were very athletic and close to today's players which is the knock most have of 80's, 70's and 60's. But I don't blame things on 90's players being simply better. Today's top players are equal to the past stars IMO. The league is just suffering due to talent crop. In pre 95 they had less teams and it was about 98 before either Raps started putting something decent together and Grizz 01. Then the league also expanded rosters from 13 to 15 so today depth is lacking and even a good starting 5 is hard to come by.

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2014, 08:21:08 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Sure when you put a 60 win team together, you're most likely going to get some guys selected to the All-Star team as a result of your team winning.  That's just how the system works.  Hey Mo Williams and Jameer Nelson were All-Stars too when they were on 60 win teams, I don't think that's really saying anything though.

But Sacramento and Detroit each had only one player who was an All-Star before they got to Sacramento/Detroit (and those guys weren't even current All-Stars when they were brought in).  Those teams were built around players that just about any GM in the league could have attained for a reasonable price.  They were both built around nowhere-near-max free agents; small trades; and mid-to-late 1st round draft picks, something any team in the league can do, theoretically at least.
Um.  Detroit had 5 top 10 picks.  Hamilton 7, Billups 3, R. Wallace 4, Hunter 10, Milicic 2.  Williamson was a lottery pick. 

Sacramento only had two, but they were its two best players and both were top 2 picks. Webber 1, Bibby 2.

Now sure you greater point is that most of the players could be reasonably acquired on the cheap, but it doesn't change the fact that they had plenty of high draft picks as part of the rotation.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2014, 09:03:00 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

Um.  Detroit had 5 top 10 picks.  Hamilton 7, Billups 3, R. Wallace 4, Hunter 10, Milicic 2.  Williamson was a lottery pick. 

Sacramento only had two, but they were its two best players and both were top 2 picks. Webber 1, Bibby 2.

Now sure you greater point is that most of the players could be reasonably acquired on the cheap, but it doesn't change the fact that they had plenty of high draft picks as part of the rotation.

Ok, true.  But I'm talking about how those teams acquired those players.  The Pistons/Kings didn't acquire those players through the draft with top 5, top 10 lottery picks, (well except for Milicic, who wasn't even a rotation player).  Where you're drafted doesn't really matter after your rookie deal or once you've bounced around the league with several different teams.

That's like saying the Celtics have top picks with Evan Turner and Jeff Green.  Not the same thing at all.  Hey I guess the rebuild is almost done now that the C's have 3 top 6 picks on the roster  ;D

Those teams didn't acquire any of their rotation players by drafting them in the lottery, giving out max or near-max contracts, or by trading away multiple 1st round picks and prospects.  But you see the point I'm making.

Not that I'm pushing for any particular rebuilding model, but I do believe there are multiple ways to be build a championship team (none of which are easy though).

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2014, 09:08:15 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
^ One thing to keep in mind about that, though, is that Dumars was operating in a very different climate in regards to trades and teambuilding.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.