Author Topic: Forget The 2004 Pistons...  (Read 9719 times)

Forget The 2004 Pistons...
« on: August 25, 2014, 03:04:02 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
I want the Celtics to have a team modeled after the 2002 Sacramento Kings. That is a team that anyone can root for. They were always one of my favorite teams of all time. I'm watching them on NBA TV right now, and although I always remembered liking them, watching them is a true experience. If we want a team with parity, I think we could go after this exciting model that is not unlike the Spurs of this year.

http://youtu.be/vglV2qpoD70

I know that the Celtics have very few similarities to the 2002 Kings at the moment. Reality be darned, though, I would love another team in this mold. Solid fundamentals, pushing the ball, ball movement, pick and roll, off-ball cuts, all very simple things that are beautiful when put together.

EDIT: On another note, I think Adelman is one of the most underrated coaches of all time and definitely a HOFer.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 03:31:33 PM by indeedproceed »

Re: Forget the 2004 Pistons...
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 03:13:34 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Loved the Adelman Kings right around the millenium, would love to see the Celtics emulate them.

Definitely don't think we have a comparable amount of talent on our roster right now.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Re: Forget The 2004 Pistons...
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 03:35:01 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Man watching 90's teams being so stacked with guys is depressing. Probably never going to see the same level of league play again. We may get 2 or 3 good teams a year but those days were every playoff team is a must watch in person is long gone.

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 03:49:33 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Hey we're already 1/12 of the way there with Gerald Wallace putting up pretty much the same number's he did in '02 for the Kings  ;D

I think the hardest part of building a team like that is finding 2 great passing big men who can play side by side like Webber and Divac.  Can't think of a PF/C combo in today's NBA that could work like that.  I'd probably start with a Gasol brother though, or maybe Spencer Hawes, but don't know who I'd put next to them.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 04:06:03 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 04:20:24 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Hey we're already 1/12 of the way there with Gerald Wallace putting up pretty much the same number's he did in '02 for the Kings  ;D

I think the hardest part of building a team like that is finding 2 great passing big men who can play side by side like Webber and Divac.  Can't think of a PF/C combo in today's NBA that could work like that.  I'd probably start with a Gasol brother though, or maybe Spencer Hawes, but don't know who I'd put next to them.

Where oh where can we ever find a versatile offensive big man who can shoot, pass from either the high or the low post, and make moves off the dribble?

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 04:21:57 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

I don't think there's a single 'real' 4 in the NBA that has the handles Chris Webber did, but as far as passing acumen (although perhaps not the creativity) Joakim Noah and Pau Gasol are probably the closest.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 04:26:32 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

Where oh where can we ever find a versatile offensive big man who can shoot, pass from either the high or the low post, and make moves off the dribble?

;D

I was making 'I hope Kelly turns into Divac' posts last year. I stand by that.

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 04:40:22 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
The core of the Kings in the early 00's, in my opinion, were the best group to never win a title.

Right now the Celtics don't have nowhere near the talent, and don't have any prospects that could be as good as Chris Webber, remember he averaged 25, 10 and 5 in 2002.

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 04:57:28 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
That's why I'd like to see the Celts acquire someone like Josh Smith and Larry Sanders.

Don't know too much about the Kings of '02 but I do believe they were known for their athleticism (pls correct me if I am wrong.)

If you added guys like Smith and Sanders to a team with Rondo, Smart, Bradley and Turner, I believe a team like that could give a team like Cleveland a very hard time.

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 05:05:15 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
That's why I'd like to see the Celts acquire someone like Josh Smith and Larry Sanders.

Don't know too much about the Kings of '02 but I do believe they were known for their athleticism (pls correct me if I am wrong.)

If you added guys like Smith and Sanders to a team with Rondo, Smart, Bradley and Turner, I believe a team like that could give a team like Cleveland a very hard time.

They weren't THAT athletic with Divac, Peja, and Bibby playing big roles.

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 05:08:34 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

What really illustrates the Kings way of playing was their mentality, which came out in their passing, IMO, and the fact that they had such a relaxed, freelance offense that was facilitated by their incredible acumen for knowing when to pass and when to score. If you imagine the Timberwolves of the last couple of years, but without the overriding scent of 'wow they really suck', you'd be looking at a Junior Varsity version of those Kings -- Adelman's principles with the talent that they had in Sacto created, for my money, one of the the most entertaining teams I've ever seen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLx0dKwwj7o

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 05:12:42 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Man watching 90's teams being so stacked with guys is depressing. Probably never going to see the same level of league play again. We may get 2 or 3 good teams a year but those days were every playoff team is a must watch in person is long gone.
I think you are misremembering the past a bit here.  Just like the older generations misremember the 80's or the 70's or the 60's. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 05:18:30 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Why not shoot for being the '02 Kings offensively and the '04 Pistons defensively.

I'd settle for that. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2014, 05:22:54 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Because the Pistons were boring to watch, man.  ;D

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2014, 05:46:43 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176

They weren't THAT athletic with Divac, Peja, and Bibby playing big roles.

They could shoot the ball, though.  Pretty much everyone on the floor was a good passer and a good shooter.  Rondo's a better player than Bibby, no doubt, but if you're looking for an open, freewheeling kind of offense you'd probably rather have a Bibby-type running it.  The c's offense gets stagnant too often when Rondo's pounding the ball, and his shot still isn't one that defenses respect.  And we don't really have anyone that's a Peja-type deadeye shooter.

If you do want to have a Kings-type offense, though...  KO's more a part of that than Sully.  KO, if he reaches his full potential, could be a Brad Miller-type.