Author Topic: Report: Rondo wants to test free agency  (Read 13173 times)

Re: Report: Rondo wants to test free agency
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2014, 03:18:39 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I think the chances of Rondo leaving Boston (so long as Ainge is willing to give a reasonable contract) aren't going to be significantly greater than the chances of Carmelo Anthony leaving New York this summer (which were non-zero, but not enough to justify trying to trade Melo for whatever you can get back).
Melo is a New York guy.  That's where he's always wanted to play.  His wife wants him there.  They are a borderline playoff team who just brought in arguably one of the greatest basketball minds of all time to run the team.

I think there's a much greater chance of rondo leaving boston.  It's a bad team.  He's surrounded by kids.  His coach is coming off a rookie campaign where he lead them to a bottom 5 record.  The team has consistently been open to trading him. 

If rondo reaches free agency, I don't think we will be the front runner to sign him. Based on his interview comments a couple months ago, I'd guess he leaves for a contender.

We certainly don't have the hometown draw with Rondo, but we didn't with Pierce either.  Rondo will be dealing with the same ownership/brass that drafted him, kept him out of the Big 3 deals, won a championship with him, and resigned him.  Of course they also tried to trade him for CP3 and maybe others, but there's some brand loyalty and respect built in there that other teams won't have.

Had Pierce reached unrestricted free agency in 2005ish, we would have had trouble keeping him too.   

Rondo wants to play for a contender.  LIstened to an interview with him a couple months ago where he said he would leave Miami if he was in LeBron's shoes, because that team no longer could win a title... interesting considering MIami just made the finals.  If Rondo (in LeBron's shoes) thinks Miami isn't good enough to stick around with... clearly this garbage team isn't up to his level of standards.   If he reaches free agency, we will not be the frontrunner to keep him... unless something dramatic happens between now and then... like signing another couple stars to lead the team... or some of our young kids making a shocking leap... or landing the #1 pick in the draft and dangling it for a superstar.

« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2014, 04:02:49 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Every player is entitled to FA. Good to know what your value is beyond just the $. Also why not see how other clubs operate and connect with other front offices. You never know if Rondo ends up as a coach or assistant for a team.

« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2014, 05:46:14 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
I think the chances of Rondo leaving Boston (so long as Ainge is willing to give a reasonable contract) aren't going to be significantly greater than the chances of Carmelo Anthony leaving New York this summer (which were non-zero, but not enough to justify trying to trade Melo for whatever you can get back).
Melo is a New York guy.  That's where he's always wanted to play.  His wife wants him there.  They are a borderline playoff team who just brought in arguably one of the greatest basketball minds of all time to run the team.

I think there's a much greater chance of rondo leaving boston.  It's a bad team.  He's surrounded by kids.  His coach is coming off a rookie campaign where he lead them to a bottom 5 record.  The team has consistently been open to trading him. 

If rondo reaches free agency, I don't think we will be the front runner to sign him. Based on his interview comments a couple months ago, I'd guess he leaves for a contender.

We certainly don't have the hometown draw with Rondo, but we didn't with Pierce either.  Rondo will be dealing with the same ownership/brass that drafted him, kept him out of the Big 3 deals, won a championship with him, and resigned him.  Of course they also tried to trade him for CP3 and maybe others, but there's some brand loyalty and respect built in there that other teams won't have.

Had Pierce reached unrestricted free agency in 2005ish, we would have had trouble keeping him too.   

Rondo wants to play for a contender.  LIstened to an interview with him a couple months ago where he said he would leave Miami if he was in LeBron's shoes, because that team no longer could win a title... interesting considering MIami just made the finals.  If Rondo (in LeBron's shoes) thinks Miami isn't good enough to stick around with... clearly this garbage team isn't up to his level of standards.   If he reaches free agency, we will not be the frontrunner to keep him... unless something dramatic happens between now and then... like signing another couple stars to lead the team... or some of our young kids making a shocking leap... or landing the #1 pick in the draft and dangling it for a superstar.

Pierce extended right in the middle of our dark ages (surrounded by kids & bums).  Not the same as UFA, but comparable team circumstances.

Notice which team LBJ left Miami for: a younger team with the assets to land another star peer.  Obviously we don't have #1 picks for toilet paper like they do in Cleveland, but we're a lot closer to that kind of asset wealth than a team like Miami that had a rapidly decomposing supporting cast (Wade, Battier, Ray, Birdman, Haslem), no cap flexibility to add anyone else of significance and no disposable trade assets of note.

2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2014, 07:49:53 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
No need to pay Rondo millions to backup Smart.

« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2014, 11:23:11 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Rondo can go ahead and test FA with my blessing.

JG will opt out, too.

And Bass will expire.

And we'll be fine.

« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2014, 03:29:55 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
"Fine" is not my end game.

Whomever is content with "fine" is selling themselves, these players, and this franchise short.

We need to keep our high quality assets. These are the players who will provide the best chances for this team to return to relevant contending glory.

Young prospects with little NBA experience along with rookies with zilch NBA experience...this batch makes championship glory far out of reach.

« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2014, 04:48:04 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

JG will opt out, too.

And Bass will expire.

And we'll be fine.

None of those three is worth paying much money.

« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2014, 06:28:14 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

JG will opt out, too.

And Bass will expire.

And we'll be fine.

None of those three is worth paying much money.

Well, it probably depends. If Rondo is a franchise max man, he'll be able to draw a running mate and we could sign two stars, and draw one or two exceptional role players into taking a short Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ty deal to be on a powerhouse team.

Or we could find another big fish that makes it worth keeping Green.

Who knows.

« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2014, 08:24:17 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
If Rondo is a franchise max man....

Who knows.

That is an awfully big if.

« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2014, 09:43:10 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within

JG will opt out, too.

And Bass will expire.

And we'll be fine.

I think the consensus is that we are paying fairly for the talent and potential that we have. Rondo's contract is reasonable and Green's is fair as is Bass's. If you are saying they do not fit in with the future of the team that is another argument.

None of those three is worth paying much money. Rondo will get paid (big increase) as will Green (prob a small increase). Bass has had his big contract and will see diminishing numbers from here out.