Author Topic: Zeller/KO/Sully combinations  (Read 3023 times)

Zeller/KO/Sully combinations
« on: August 25, 2014, 01:35:12 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Zeller + Sullinger =  It's almost like the potential Withey + Sully combination try i was hoping for before the beginning of last season  (even if we drafted KO).  You get mobility + strength. Inside/Outside combination.  I think one of nice things about this duo will be, they will be able to switch against certain matchups on both ends.  On the defensive end If Zeller is being pushed around a little, Sully can takeover and try to defend/prevent losing position.  IF Sully is getting beat up by say Ibakas length, you can have Zeller guard him instead (and put Sully onto Perk).

Zeller + KO =  Not many teams have the luxury to put out 2 7 footers at the same time.  Both are good shooters that can unclog things under the basket. Good at running the floor, it's going to help tire the opposing front court players. Lack of great Length/strength  is bit of a concern (defensive end)

KO + Sullinger =  At times looked great out on the floor together.  Nice interior passing , jump shots to open up the lane (although streaky),  IQ, maturity, motor. But the lack of above avg athleticism, quickness, length  = some issues on the defensive end.

Which C/PF combination would you like to see start for the upcoming season?

Re: Zeller/KO/Sully combinations
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 06:02:45 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
You get mobility + strength. Inside/Outside combination.   I think one of nice things about this duo will be, they will be able to switch against certain matchups on both ends.  On the defensive end If Zeller is being pushed around a little, Sully can takeover and try to defend/prevent losing position.

Zeller did 16 Bench Presses at the NBA combine, Suller did 9.   So it stands to reason he is the stronger of the two.   Also, your outside shooter, Sully, shot .28% from downtown.   Other teams will let him shoot that all day and play a sag zone on these guys but I think they are both good at the mid range.  Oly showed some potential as a three point shooter.   I think Sully could be potentially be stronger, if he puts in the work given his body type but as of yet that has not materialized (crosses fingers and hopes those pics in summer are true).  Sully has vast amounts he could improve in this regard.  I think when Ainge speaks of untapped potential regarding him this is what he speaks of, but he has always battled the bulge.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jared-Sullinger-5029/

I think both are versatile.   Just the myth that Sully is uber strong is wrong.

I agree with a lot of your other points.   But I think on good teams unless these guys rise up, that ideally they are backups. 
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 06:17:10 AM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 06:32:00 AM »

fitzhickey

You get mobility + strength. Inside/Outside combination.   I think one of nice things about this duo will be, they will be able to switch against certain matchups on both ends.  On the defensive end If Zeller is being pushed around a little, Sully can takeover and try to defend/prevent losing position.

Zeller did 16 Bench Presses at the NBA combine, Suller did 9.   So it stands to reason he is the stronger of the two.   Also, your outside shooter, Sully, shot .28% from downtown.   Other teams will let him shoot that all day and play a sag zone on these guys but I think they are both good at the mid range.  Oly showed some potential as a three point shooter.   I think Sully could be potentially be stronger, if he puts in the work given his body type but as of yet that has not materialized (crosses fingers and hopes those pics in summer are true).  Sully has vast amounts he could improve in this regard.  I think when Ainge speaks of untapped potential regarding him this is what he speaks of, but he has always battled the bulge.

I agree with a lot of your other points.   But I think on good teams unless these guys rise up, that ideally they are backups.
I think when being backed down in the post it is more lower body strength than upper, and Sully looks to have a much wider lower body.

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 06:33:21 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

I think when being backed down in the post it is more lower body strength than upper, and Sully looks to have a much wider lower body.

Was gonna say.

Strength comes from the derriere.

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 07:31:51 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Was gonna say.

Strength comes from the derriere.

In some cases, but Sully isn't a good leaper with strong legs, his strength right now is bulk.   Bulk is strength to move people to an extent and excellent at clearing space.   See NFL Linemen for example but bulk is not power and easy to handle if you know what your doing.   

Cagy players  know what to do when guys back you down you let them fall down with a reverse pivot.   You push them hard so they push back and then they fall when they push back and your not there.   Also with zero threat of a lob (due to lack of length and leaping), you can front them all day and they won't get the ball.  All the backing down in the world won't help if you can't get the ball.  Any player worth their salt knows this fact.  That is why you don't see many fat guys in the NBA otherwise Butterball would have dominated basketball.

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 10:05:50 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

they should do testing for how much a guy can squat. Bc Sully could probably squat the world. 

We are missing that one above the rim/lengthy wingspan/reach player that can play to set this front court up for years to come.   John Henson would be a decent pickup