Author Topic: why Jeff Green is worth keeping  (Read 11376 times)

Re: why Jeff Green is worth keeping
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2014, 08:20:50 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
"why Jeff Green is worth keeping"

cuz we got no choice.

This ...and I still think the big prize for Celtics is a top 3 lottery pick .....no chance playing for a title

So,by the time green , bass , Wallace all the rest are done ....so will James best days be behind him, and the Celtics and east can rebuild as normal.

« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2014, 08:21:27 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
If Stevens and staff can somehow develop Jeff Green to accept a 1st or 2nd option offensive role for next year, it isn't out of the realm of possibility that Jeff increases the produce to 20-22/6-7/3-4/1/1 on a more likely lower shooting efficiency.

What the heavens was his role last season then? And how do you "develop someone to accept" a role they don't have the mentality to take on? His FG% already dipped to .412 last season, now you're saying he'll have a "lower shooting efficiency"? If he shoots 39%, how is that helping the team?

« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2014, 08:38:05 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

cuz we got no choice.

This ...and I still think the big prize for Celtics is a top 3 lottery pick .....no chance playing for a title

So,by the time green , bass , Wallace all the rest are done ....so will James best days be behind him, and the Celtics and east can rebuild as normal.

So that's the plan?

To bury our heads in the sand until Lebron hangs it up?

I don't think so and am surprised that anyone would find that acceptable.

« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2014, 08:44:47 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
Green is what he is at this point. he isnt going to be anything more than an inconsistent player who can put up Big games for you, and then disappear the next game.

« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2014, 08:49:09 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Is a player that no other team wants a player worth keeping?

Plays like he doesn't care and never saw a rebound he liked

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2014, 10:19:23 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Green is who he is and that's not what the Celtics need.

Jeff Green would be better of traded from this team. He's not good enough to help the Celtics win consistently, but could act as a 3rd or a very good 4th option on a better team. He can contribute with moderate scoring, defense and the occasional rebound. But on this team, he really can't carry the load for a bad team. He doesn't seem like a leader on or off the court and thus he may just be in the way of other player development. He's not a particularly good shooter as a first option - his eFG last year was a lousy .469. He can't pass worth a [dang]. He's 28 years old on a team in rebuilding mode. In short, his talents don't fit with what the Celtics need long term.

I would love to see Green go on a hot streak and average 20+ for the first 25 games of this year. That would make him a more valuable trade commodity. We could dish him off and try the Evan Turner reclamation project.

But I don't see Jeff Green as worth keeping on this team. He, and the Celtics, would be better off parting ways.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2014, 11:37:54 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

Yeah...Jeff has a factory worker mentality ,   Punch in ....do your job ...punch out ....be a good dude and citizen .  He is a secondary player , not a leader .

He is happy with the big pay check .

Winning doesn't seem to matter like it does to guys like Pierce, KG , Bird , CP3

« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2014, 02:08:02 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Yeah...Jeff has a factory worker mentality ,   Punch in ....do your job ...punch out ....be a good dude and citizen .  He is a secondary player , not a leader .

He is happy with the big pay check .

Winning doesn't seem to matter like it does to guys like Pierce, KG , Bird , CP3

Did you really just put Bird in the same sentence as Green? The reason Green doesn't play like a superstar is because he doesn't have the skills to be one. He is a very good player who can do a little bit of everything. Having a guy who can defend the best players in the game and occasionally put up ridiculous point totals isn't a detriment.

He may not be the best fit for this current team, but to claim (as Eja did above) that nobody else would like him on their team is completely false.

« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2014, 03:11:54 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
If Stevens and staff can somehow develop Jeff Green to accept a 1st or 2nd option offensive role for next year, it isn't out of the realm of possibility that Jeff increases the produce to 20-22/6-7/3-4/1/1 on a more likely lower shooting efficiency.

What the heavens was his role last season then? And how do you "develop someone to accept" a role they don't have the mentality to take on? His FG% already dipped to .412 last season, now you're saying he'll have a "lower shooting efficiency"? If he shoots 39%, how is that helping the team?

Read my previous post again. Remember, reading comprehenision is your friend.

Don't go putting words in other people's mouths.

What were the efficiency numbers I mentioned in my previous post? You brought up Jeff Green's last season's efficiency numbers.

1 season is too small of a sample size to make a sound determination. Jeff Green's entire Boston Celtic's body of work is a more accurate representation of his play, as a Celtic.

My point of emphasis was if Jeff Green were able to increase his statistical production above his past Celtic career production, it most likely would be made at the cost of his past Celtics career shooting efficiency.

This focus on Jeff Green or on Rondo's future are all too "besides" the significant point.

The significant point is how does our coaching staff elevate how the team produces and performs as a solid unit.

I am certain throwing together a collection of more rookies, 2nd or 3rd year players.....and throwing them all out to the "wolves" is not the best way for a virtually NBA "rookie" coaching staff to mess around with.

I do not envy Brad's job. He's pretty much the "scapegoat". But not by me. I am placing the majority of responsibility on Danny Ainge & C's front office.

Brad is not really receiving a "fair shake"......but I know in my heart that...."that's life".

« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2014, 03:30:10 PM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
I don't get Jeff Green.  He looks like he has no friends on the team or something.  Like he's still upset he got traded.  I say Sully leads the team in points this year, but Green's contract could be a huge motivator as his past production may not warrant the amount of $ he made in previous years.
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2014, 03:48:55 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
What the heavens was his role last season then?

A statistical case can be made that Green was used as a 3rd option or at most, a 2nd option. (Sully & Bradley led the team last year in FGA per possession & per minute. Jeff Green also did not lead the team last year in USG%).

Both those statistics reveal a more accurate representation on "how" Jeff Green was used on the offense.

Was this by coaching design? Front office directives? Or Jeff Green's "non-Allen Iverson" type of personality?

Stevens, his staff and Danny/the front office...they all need to be working in a united direction.

Coaches and players want to win games, most of the time.

GMs and the ilk want to win valuable "commodoties"/assets.

« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2014, 03:51:59 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

cuz we got no choice.

So that's the plan?

To bury our heads in the sand until Lebron hangs it up?

I don't think so and am surprised that anyone would find that acceptable.

yea that is ridiculous especially since it seems to be a consensus fact that Lebron is now off steroids.

« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2014, 03:57:36 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
I don't get Jeff Green.  He looks like he has no friends on the team or something.  Like he's still upset he got traded.  I say Sully leads the team in points this year, but Green's contract could be a huge motivator as his past production may not warrant the amount of $ he made in previous years.

Too many question marks in terms of the future. Jeff's own professional future.

Where will he play? Will he play better or continue to slide/decline?

My own opinion: I feel like Rondo is Jeff Green's greatest ally/"friend". And this shows me how great-awesome Rondo's charcacter is present & expressed.

Green was the player that was traded for and cost Rondo, Perkins....Rondo's best friend.

I really admire the way Rondo acts/carries himself on the court and off the court. I don't know the guy personally, but he is the type of guy I WOULD WANT to get to know.

« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2014, 03:57:36 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

What were the efficiency numbers I mentioned in my previous post? You brought up Jeff Green's last season's efficiency numbers.

1 season is too small of a sample size to make a sound determination. Jeff Green's entire Boston Celtic's body of work is a more accurate representation of his play, as a Celtic.

My point of emphasis was if Jeff Green were able to increase his statistical production above his past Celtic career production, it most likely would be made at the cost of his past Celtics career shooting efficiency.

This focus on Jeff Green or on Rondo's future are all too "besides" the significant point.

The significant point is how does our coaching staff elevate how the team produces and performs as a solid unit.

I am certain throwing together a collection of more rookies, 2nd or 3rd year players.....and throwing them all out to the "wolves" is not the best way for a virtually NBA "rookie" coaching staff to mess around with.

I do not envy Brad's job. He's pretty much the "scapegoat". But not by me. I am placing the majority of responsibility on Danny Ainge & C's front office.

Brad is not really receiving a "fair shake"......but I know in my heart that...."that's life".

I don't agree about the fair shake part,  how many coaches get a good team right from the start and then add that it's only going to be his second season in the NBA altogether!  He got 6 years, more than any other coach. He signed his contract knowing we were in a rebuilding stage. Brad has it good but it's just not easy. He's living a dream few get to and he's doing it with the BOSTON CELTICS!  He could be with the 6ers, they may have young talent but most of it is unproven, built on wishful thinking, AND they suck!!!!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2014, 03:59:38 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

I'm sorry, but much of this is just wrong.

82 games is a sufficient sample size to know how Jeff Green plays without 2 or 3 All Stars beside him. His prior seasons in green were with much different clubs than this one. In fact, I would say his seasons prior to this last one are less likely to show his current/future performance because conditions are so different. So if he scores more but that comes at a cost of his eFG (which was pretty lousy), then this is a bad thing. To think that his poor eFG last year isn't because he didn't have as many easy shots because he had PP, KG and Allen around him to occupy the defense is pretty absurd. After all, we all know Jeff Green isn't a #1 or a #2 option.

As for the coaching staff, you do realize that Brad Stevens signed a 6 YEAR, $22 MILLION contract don't you? He absolutely has the freedom to throw out the youngsters because he, more so than perhaps any other coach in the league, has a very long leash. He can afford for them to lose because his contract is structured in such a way that he's virtually untouchable. Brad Stevens may be criticized by fans for not winning, but he's still going to be coaching this team and still be paid by Ainge & Co. As such, he won't be scapegoated because that would just rebound back on Ainge for giving him such a long deal.

His job is put his assets together to form a winning squad *or* if that is not possible, showcasing them in order to increase the value of the assets so Ainge can trade them to acquire the pieces he does need. That's his job right now and lets face it, few of us think that we have a winning squad right now. So the best thing he can do is to give serious minutes to guys like Green in order to increase their market worth and then Ainge can move them. Rondo may be in the same category. At the same time, he can give major minutes to the youngsters so they can develop their games, which can't be done from the bench. That leaves guys like Bass and Wallace - known commodities who aren't going to improve - to languish on the bench until they get traded.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.