Author Topic: why Jeff Green is worth keeping  (Read 11379 times)

Re: why Jeff Green is worth keeping
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2014, 04:01:14 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Think Green is a solid 4th option. That on rare nights he can give 2 production.

Rondo is a 3rd option.  That on some nights can give you 2 production.

AB is a 5th option or six man.

Sully may be a 4th option.

Based on that I think he is worth his contract but this team is two very good players away from competing. Trade him if you get something of good value. Same with Rondo

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2014, 05:15:10 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
He's worth keeping because he provides decent scoring and defense on a fair contract. He's never going to be a star, or a guy you can count on to be our leading scorer every night, but for how he's paid (basically, as a good third option) he's a pretty good value.
He is a role player on a team that needs stars.  That pretty much describes the whole team.  Which is why Boston will be a 25 or so win team again.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2014, 05:15:52 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
There are a few elite 3's in the league and then a few right on the cusp. Jeff Green is def a top 10 small forward in the League, and I think he was 6th or 7th in scoring for small forwards.

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2014, 05:22:46 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
He's worth keeping because he provides decent scoring and defense on a fair contract. He's never going to be a star, or a guy you can count on to be our leading scorer every night, but for how he's paid (basically, as a good third option) he's a pretty good value.
He is a role player on a team that needs stars.  That pretty much describes the whole team.  Which is why Boston will be a 25 or so win team again.

On paper, I really doubt it.

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2014, 05:24:23 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
31 wins.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2014, 06:05:45 PM »

Offline Skywalker2.0

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 247
31 wins.

That seems about right I would predict between 25-34.

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2014, 03:18:50 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Uh because he's the best offensive player on the team.  Green should be a 2nd or 3rd option.  He's not an alpha player. Its not Jeff's fault there's no 1st option on this team.

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2014, 03:52:01 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
There are a few elite 3's in the league and then a few right on the cusp. Jeff Green is def a top 10 small forward in the League, and I think he was 6th or 7th in scoring for small forwards.
actually, green was 8th among sf and 40th in the league in scoring.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2014, 06:42:20 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Might as well keep him

East is controlled by the  LeBron All Star club .......

Now based out of Cleveland   ::)

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2014, 10:18:19 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
actually, green was 8th among sf and 40th in the league in scoring.

Thanks for the correction I was going off the top of my head. TP for that. This just means that there are plenty of teams that could use Jeff Green. Also it seems Green plays better when he is a third or 4th option.

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2014, 11:05:41 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Also it seems Green plays better when he is a third or 4th option.

It seems more like Green plays exactly the same whether he is the 1st option or the 4th option.  He seems like an ideal guy to throw into the mix when you have established players who want a certain number of touches per game and you need someone who won't stand in the way of letting them get theirs.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2014, 11:24:25 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

This is pretty much what I've been preaching about for Jeff Green for the past couple years. I really think he gets unfairly dumped on because people have such crazy high expectations for him. In reality he is above average on both ends of the floor, guarding the opposing teams best and most athletic wing while also providing sufficient offense all doing it on a reasonable contract. He is a good type of player to have on your squad.

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2014, 11:57:46 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/greenje02.html

Comparing Green's Boston production versus his Thunder/Sonics production....Green is virtually a more productive & more efficient player.

In both situations (for the most part), Jeff Green has had the fortune of playing alongside highly talented/gifted teammates. Only this past season has Jeff played with a somewhat "talent-lacking" group of teammates.

If one were to claim a young, developing Avery Bradley (compared to a hurt/injury recovering Rajon Rondo), was Jeff's best talented teammate....well then, your team is kinda playing behind the eight ball so to say.

Jeff's Celtic numbers are virtually up across the board (compared with his first team). Green's scoring rate is higher, TS%, eFG%, FT%, 3PT% --- all higher as a Celtic. The only dip (slight decline) has been rebounding. This may or may not improve if Jeff plays or does not play the PF spot.

I feel, realistic Jeff Green with more time playing alongside a healthier Rondo, more developed & confident Bradely & Sullinger & Olynyk....Green can produce a 17/5/2/1/1 on 44%/35%/80% efficiency (54% TS/49% eFG).

If Stevens and staff can somehow develop Jeff Green to accept a 1st or 2nd option offensive role for next year, it isn't out of the realm of possibility that Jeff increases the produce to 20-22/6-7/3-4/1/1 on a more likely lower shooting efficiency.

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2014, 04:41:58 AM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
Im fine with this as long as he is not the designated go-to guy. He is at best a 2nd or 3rd option.
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2014, 07:56:37 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
"why Jeff Green is worth keeping"

cuz we got no choice.